• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Pamphlets

thehuskybear

imported post

Im wondering if any of you guys know of any printable or free places to get pamphlets about OCing and specifically laws pertaining to Arizona?

I would make my own, but Im wondering if there is something "official" out there. If not, I may just make my own... Im not always a smooth talker when Im confronted by people and being new to OCing means Im still learning what to say... it would be better if I could just hand them a pamphlet and walk off! haha

Thanks,

Sam

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There's no need for pamphlets. AZ has been OC since the days of the Spanish Crown. I've learned to ignore them (the anti's). "Sec2, Art. 26 AZ Constitution" is all I say now... If I say anything at all.

crisisweasel

imported post

In my opinion, the best thing to say when asked about or confronted about open carry is this:

"In Arizona, anyone without a criminal record who is willing to attend a class can get a concealed carry weapons permit. All around you are people carrying guns - on the highways, in Wal-Mart, at gas stations and some restaurants. You probably pass dozens of people a day who are armed and you don't know it. Many or most law abiding citizens carry concealed specifically to avoid confrontations with people or otherwise avoid making people who haven't given much consideration to the right to keep and bear arms uncomfortable. Concealed carry is a courtesy and convenience I've chosen not to exercise today.

"How many criminals or people with bad intent do you think carry their gun on their hip, displayed to the world? Few, or none, I reckon. I carry my gun openly principally because I choose to exercise my rights under the United States and Arizona State Constitiution - and it is a right, and Arizona expressly recognizes it, and that's one reason I like living here. But beyond this, I carry it openly because I have nothing to hide. And what's more, I want any bad guys in the vicinity - the kind of deceptive criminals too craven or dishonest to carry their gun openly, to know that I am armed. They may well rob a store that day no matter what I do, but I bet they don't rob the one I'm in, while I'm there. You're here, too. Consider what this means for you, friend.

"You're familiar with the military salute? That dates back to ancient times when knights would lift the visors in their helmets to show their eyes. Open carry is like this. I need not justify my rights, any more than I need justify my right to speak my mind. But it has the added advantage of sending a message: that I am a peaceable, law abiding gun owner, and I have nothing to conceal or hide or be surreptitious about. In principle, my gun requires no justification, but I will say, categorically, that it is not there to intimidate you or any other peaceable person. But if it intimidates bad guys, well, we all win.

"I support and encourage you to consider exercising your right to keep and bear arms as well, as I would encourage any honest, law abiding man or woman."

thehuskybear

imported post

Im gonna have to write that down and memorize it! lol Thanks for the suggestion.

Sam

Dahwg

imported post

Doubt you'll need it in AZ. If anyone questions you they're likely from somewhere else.

Here's how that usually goes down.

Anti: What's that on your hip? or You can't carry that! or Why do you need a gun? (Insert whatever other statement you wish here).

Me: You're not originally from AZ are you?

Anti: No, why? or any other statment.

Me: Ahhh I see. (walk away)

That's it. Leave them looking dumbfounded. What are they going to do call the cops? :lol:

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

crisisweasel, I am amazed at the level of detail you put in your posts. So far I can't disagree with you at all, and this post is awesome.

crisisweasel wrote:
In my opinion, the best thing to say when asked about or confronted about open carry is this:

"In Arizona, anyone without a criminal record who is willing to attend a class can get a concealed carry weapons permit. All around you are people carrying guns - on the highways, in Wal-Mart, at gas stations and some restaurants. You probably pass dozens of people a day who are armed and you don't know it. Many or most law abiding citizens carry concealed specifically to avoid confrontations with people or otherwise avoid making people who haven't given much consideration to the right to keep and bear arms uncomfortable. Concealed carry is a courtesy and convenience I've chosen not to exercise today.

"How many criminals or people with bad intent do you think carry their gun on their hip, displayed to the world? Few, or none, I reckon. I carry my gun openly principally because I choose to exercise my rights under the United States and Arizona State Constitiution - and it is a right, and Arizona expressly recognizes it, and that's one reason I like living here. But beyond this, I carry it openly because I have nothing to hide. And what's more, I want any bad guys in the vicinity - the kind of deceptive criminals too craven or dishonest to carry their gun openly, to know that I am armed. They may well rob a store that day no matter what I do, but I bet they don't rob the one I'm in, while I'm there. You're here, too. Consider what this means for you, friend.

"You're familiar with the military salute? That dates back to ancient times when knights would lift the visors in their helmets to show their eyes. Open carry is like this. I need not justify my rights, any more than I need justify my right to speak my mind. But it has the added advantage of sending a message: that I am a peaceable, law abiding gun owner, and I have nothing to conceal or hide or be surreptitious about. In principle, my gun requires no justification, but I will say, categorically, that it is not there to intimidate you or any other peaceable person. But if it intimidates bad guys, well, we all win.

"I support and encourage you to consider exercising your right to keep and bear arms as well, as I would encourage any honest, law abiding man or woman."