• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo!

dac844

imported post

So i went to the range today, overall i nice day, between me and my buddy that went with me, we shot about 3 boxes through my Ruger P944. All went well, they were CCI blazer FMJ rounds, and not a single missfire/stovepipe, anything. and i really didn't feel that back putting 150 rounds down range untill i went to the sporting goods store. i noticed that the price of ammo has sky rocketed. about 2 years ago i bought 10 boxes of my CCI 40 S & W rounds, and they were like 10 dollars a box back then, i think i got them from midway usa or something like that. but now, i'm standing in the store, and my jaw drops, there over 20 dollars a box... now i'm insisting that if my buddie wants to help me out, he can buy me a box of ammo...lol

What is your guys story on ammo? Any tricks, or secret places that you buy your ammo that i should check out?

I'm glad that i still have my Mag full of Hydro shocks that i carry with me.

Just asking for everyone's .02 cents...

N00blet45

imported post

I just recently got into reloading at the worst possible time. There is no such thing as "in stock" when it comes to primers. I've been looking for large pistol and large rifle primers for about a month now and I haven't seen any. The only place I've seen them is on gunbroker, but getting a deal is hard. A lot of the auctions get to over $70 for a box of 1000 when most places list them for $30-35.

I had the same problem getting powder but I recently found a site that has some so that's not a problem. Most other places were out of stock on that too. Brass is hard to come by too, so I found a place with once-fired brass.

My reloading experience has been less than ideal. It's neat and everything but I feel more like a mad scientist taking what I can get and mix-matching ingredients than a shooter trying to fine tune my ammunition.

Freakin' morons created a run on the stuff when Obama was elected and the market still hasn't caught up, although I hear it's getting there. That and the price never really dropped from the increase in the price of copper. Shooting definitely isn't for the poor.

jeeper1

imported post

The last time I bought the 40s&w Blazer brass (walmart in march and april) I paid $14.06 with tax per box of 50.
I am now reloading 40s&w at $11.50 per box of 50.
I found a source of primers today at $40 per M.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Sportsmansguide.com cheapest .223/7.62 around, and it's also decent stock

Other than that, Walmart has the cheapest handgun ammo on the planet... when it's in stock. As far as 9mm goes: $19.95 for 100 rounds of Winchester white box, $8.95 for 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass (which, believe it or not, shoots much nicer than the Winchester, IMO). They have CCI Mini Mag, which is the only .22lr I use, for $5.65 for 100 rounds. Anywhere else is $7 and up.

Only problem is, that stuff is rarely in stock. When I'm getting low I generally makeone or tworuns during the week to the three Walmarts closest to me. Usually within three-four tries (sometimes on the first) I'll catch them with stuff in stock.

rmansu2

imported post

I just got into reloading as well. It's cheaper to load leads for target practice.

$40 500 bullets
$50 1000 primers
$20 1lb of powder(800rounds)
free brass if you can get it.

All in all after initial start up costs, $100-$150 per thousand rounds.

Daddyo

imported post

The range I go to also sells reloading stuff. I half-jokingly asked if they had any primers. The guy said there wasn't a primer in the building, but he also said it looked like things might start loosening up this week.

colt45ws

imported post

My walmart just got in a load of WWB .380 and 9mm target rounds. I bought two boxes of the .380 to give my grandfather on Father's Day. I was looking at them and they might be alright to carry even. They are FMJ-FN. Need penetration with the .380.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

colt45ws wrote:
My walmart just got in a load of WWB .380 and 9mm target rounds. I bought two boxes of the .380 to give my grandfather on Father's Day. I was looking at them and they might be alright to carry even. They are FMJ-FN. Need penetration with the .380.
You should have bought ALL the .380. That stuff is worth its weight in diamonds. You could have easily flipped it on gunbroker for 300-500%.

dac844

imported post

yea, wal mart has a great price. 12.47 for a box of 40. But i have to keep checking to see if they have them. i guess i will just wait. they do have a limit of 6 boxes per customer... i have been known to recruit my friends to be "customers".