• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self-Defense or ......?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I'm prepared to call Lomon a goof with a gun forfiring his shotgun if he did so in the direction of other people.

Andsince he entered another man's property with ahandgun, then he definitely put himself at risk for either being a goof with a gun again or getting his azz shot.

One thing that I know. Whateverthe dispute/argument was about, guns made the whole thing worse. There is unlikely any real obstacle toresolving whatever thesegentlemen were arguing about. Take the the guns out of it and it's a minor deal. Take thegoof with a gun out of it and it probably doesn't evenhappen.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what goofy reasons were involved in this case thatneeded to get addressed with a firearms.

[align=left]
[size=+1]Police Say Shooting Possibly Self-Defense[/size][/align]
By Hicham Raache
TIMES RECORD • HRAACHE@SWTIMES.COM

CAMERON, Okla. - The shooting death of a Cameron man Monday evening is being investigated as a possible act of self-defense, but homicide has not been ruled out.

Heath Lomon, 37, was killed on the property of a neighbor during a physical altercation with an unidentified man at the scene, according to Jessica Brown, public information officer for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, which is leading the investigation into the shooting death.

Authorities were dispatched to a rural residential area on Blaylock Lane, just south of Williams Road, in response to a report of a man shot. When deputies with the LeFlore County Sheriff's Office arrived, they found Lomon dead, the shooter and multiple witnesses.

"Lomon was shot and killed after he fired his shotgun in the direction of several people across the street from his property," Brown stated in a news release.

After firing the shotgun, Lomon walked over to the neighboring property and engaged in a physical altercation with one of the men at the scene, Brown said in an interview Tuesday.

Sometime during or soon after the altercation, the man Lomon was fighting with produced a handgun and shot Lomon once in the chest, according to Brown.

It is up to the LeFlore County prosecuting attorney to determine if the shooter was legitimately acting in self-defense when he shot Lomon or if he committed homicide, Brown said.

Brown said she does not know if Lomon was still carrying the shotgun he had fired when he entered the neighboring property, but said he was carrying at least a handgun.

Investigators have not officially determined what prompted Lomon to initially fire the shotgun.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2009/06/03/news/news060309_04.txt

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
One thing that I know. Whateverthe dispute/argument was about, guns made the whole thing worse. There is unlikely any real obstacle toresolving whatever thesegentlemen were arguing about. Take the the guns out of it and it's a minor deal. Take thegoof with a gun out of it and it probably doesn't evenhappen.

Unpossible!! An armed society is a polite society. :quirky

The story is much too vague. It's impossible to pass judgment without a more accurate play-by-play.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
The story is much too vague. It's impossible to pass judgment without a more accurate play-by-play.
This I totally agree with. There is not anywhere near enough information in that story to draw any real conclusion and certainly not enough to argue "goof with a gun".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
HankT wrote:
Well, I'm prepared to call Lomon a goof with a gun forfiring his shotgun if he did so in the direction of other people.
There is not anywhere near enough information in that story ... to argue "goof with a gun".

Huh?
13.gif

Deepdiver, there is puh lenty of information. The story reports that Lomon "fired his shotgun in the direction of several people across the street from his property."

That'san automatic goof with a gun qualification, isn't it?
39.gif

See Four Rules of Gun Safety, Cooper, J. D.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
HankT wrote:
There is not anywhere near enough information in that story ... to argue "goof with a gun".

Huh?
13.gif

Deepdiver, there is puh lenty of information. The story reports that Lomon "fired his shotgun in the direction of several people across the street from his property."

That'san automatic goof with a gun qualification, isn't it?
39.gif

See Four Rules of Gun Safety, Cooper, J. D.
Mea Culpa. I was "discussing" with the wife when I was reading this and misread the "goof with a gun" comment being specific to Lomon. Sorry.

USAFdude02

imported post

That is just stupid on Lomon's part. To shoot at someone across the street with more than just an intended target especially with a shotgun. I would like to hear more on what they find on this story.

NightOwl

imported post

Trying to visualize that scene isn't working. The actions attributed to Mr. Lomon make no sense at all.

-Shoot at group of people

-Walk to the group of people to get into a fist fight

-Get shot by that group

-Shotgun possibly left where it was originally fired from?

I just find it a bit hard to believe that he was hostile enough to fire at people, but then get in a fist fight while possibly abandoning his shotgun (but with another pistol on his person), and get shot then die. If he was going nuts and shooting people, then shotgun till empty, then handgun till empty-no walking around to brawl in the middle.

If he hadn't fired the shotgun with intent to shoot the group of people, then walked over to discuss the direction of his fire with a pissed off neighbor in the group, who then shot him after the arguement, it seems to make more sense.

Maybe it was a 100% legit shooting, I don't know. I just don't think the events as given in that article make sense at all, with Mr. Lomon as the aggressor. Perhaps it was just poorly written, and the sense was lost in translation?