• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at "Second Amendment March" in DC

imported post

I know this thread will generate controversy, but I think it is worthy of discussion. It is my opinion that a second amendment walk in DC will be absolutely pointless unless people are openly carrying (armed march as opposed to an unarmed march). I know open carry is illegal in DC. I think unless there is some civil disobedience there will be no change. Rosa Parks refused to sit in the back of the bus and she is a hero in the civil rights movement. Eventually citizens will have to make a choice: Do you live like a free citizen and risk becoming criminal or do you live like a slave and be a law abiding citizen? I know people would be scared to have an armed march in DC because they would be risking jail or prison time for breaking DC law, but I think it is the only way. If enough people get on board with an Armed March in DC they can't arrest all of us. Thus an Armed March is possible.

IxionDeece

imported post

I do agree to a certain extent, but the point of the march is to be peaceful, and not to be disobedient. And yes it is true that they couldn't arrest us all. But the ones they did arrest could be penalized heavily. And also we don't want a peaceful march to turn into a million man riot, which could happen easily if we were all to break the law and be armed anyways. And that would be the last thing we want to happen, it would be possible that many lives would be at stake due to the fact that we all know that alot of leo's there would probably have an itchy trigger finger and if one shot went off.....it would be over. But I do agree that being armed would have a much larger effect. And the march is not entirely about open carry, it is about the right that makes open carry possible, it is about owning firearms period. We could all carry muskets and it would mean the same thing as carrying a pistol or rifle. Tho I would definatly like to see everyone there armed and it would be a very effective way of getting the point across, in my opinion I dont believe it would be the smartest thing to do.

xD.45Service

imported post

I agree that you want the march to be peaceful but, the only way to get the point across sometimes is to be disobedient, like the boston tea party eh? Yes, the few of us they would arrest would be penalized to no end, but whatif the point we were trying to make actually went across? The DC laws infringe on your rights, Something this government was never supposed to do. The police in DC i'm sure have it out for anyone who wants to carry or just own a gun.. What gives them the right to take away yours?

IxionDeece

imported post

I do agree that sometime it is a good thing to be disobedient. And I say that anyone who wishes to then go ahead, I am saying personally that I do not have the necessary finances to be disobedient. If I did then I would be one of the people doing that to get the point across. Dont get me wrong I love the idea and wish good luck to anyone who decides too.But I just cant afford it if I were to get arrested...Know what I mean?

JSlack7851

imported post

freedom_fighter777@hotmail.com wrote: I know open carry is illegal in DC. I know people would be scared to have an armed march in DC because they would be risking jail or prison time for breaking DC law, but I think it is the only way. If enough people get on board with an Armed March in DC they can't arrest all of us. Thus an Armed March is possible."

Illegal?

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___ (2008) is a landmark legal case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for private use. It is the first Supreme Court case in United States history to directly address whether the right to keep and bear arms is a right of individuals in addition to a collective right that applies only to state-regulated militias[1].

IMHO if you want to abide by the organizers request for "no carry" you may. If you want to exercise your Constitutional rights to Keep and bear arms, well, see above.

And, Yes, I believe they could arrest everyone. Under Homeland Security laws, They could, but you have to do something illegal first!

Anybody else?

Thundar

imported post

I will be carrying my Navy revolver reproduction. It is a fine antique reproduction cap and ball revolver.

Washington DC uses the BATFE definitions for firearms and handguns and I have found nothing in the DC Code that prohibits open carry of an antique or antique reproduction pistol.

IxionDeece

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I will be carrying my Navy revolver reproduction. It is a fine antique reproduction cap and ball revolver.

Washington DC uses the BATFE definitions for firearms and handguns and I have found nothing in the DC Code that prohibits open carry of an antique or antique reproduction pistol.
Just how old does a weapon have to be before it is legal for carry there?

Thundar

imported post

IxionDeece wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Just how old does a weapon have to be before it is legal for carry there?
older than 1898 or a reproduction of a pre 1898 gun.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Around the time the new commander in chief was sworn in a guy started a thread on the D.C. forum about open carry of a cap and ball pistol. According to the thread he suffered no ill consequences. My primary weapon is an 1858 Remington .44 cal. New Model Army Revolver, If I go to the march I will be carrying it and am thinking seriously about bringing along the Kentucky long rifle just for fun. I can't wait!

XD40coyote

imported post

Are there any DC laws forbidding OC of blackpowder guns? How about bb/pellet guns, and airsoft replicas? Or just plain realistic looking metal replicas? Heh if worst came to worst, the wearing of blue rubber training guns?

Another alternative would be a "chain" along some stretch of the VA bank of the Potomac, any well known non prohibitive public places- or a private place that DCers can easily see, where permission could be granted to host?

Thundar

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Around the time the new commander in chief was sworn in a guy started a thread on the D.C. forum about open carry of a cap and ball pistol. According to the thread he suffered no ill consequences. My primary weapon is an 1858 Remington .44 cal. New Model Army Revolver, If I go to the march I will be carrying it and am thinking seriously about bringing along the Kentucky long rifle just for fun. I can't wait!
The antique pistol, or reproduction thereof,is not a violation, but a rifle or shotgun, even if antique, is a violation. I know this is stupid, but we are talking about D.C.