Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a trip to seattle

Post imported post

I called the police department...

I'm coming on plane from californiato stay for a few days and visit a few places around the city of seattle...

The police officer i spoke to told me Loaded Open Carry is legal?

Any restrictions on school zones like california's 1000 ft. from a school zone.. and anything else i should be aware of while on my trip?

Thank you in advance whoever helps me out with my questions.

Post imported post

Loaded OC is completely legal in WA, except for federal buildings, courthouses, and school grounds. You don't have to be 1000 feet from a school, just off the school grounds. All local transit agencies, public facilities, and local parks are legal to carry in and the state preempts any attempts by localities to pass their own laws restricting carry. The only caveat to OC here in WA is that if you are going to be in a car, you must have a valid CPL for the state or you must unload and secure your gun while in the vehicle.

Post imported post

Do understand that OC is Legal but there are numerous businesses that will, at the very least, hassle you for doing so on their premises. Many will not just ask that you cover or leave but may even call the Police. Even if you are doing nothing wrong, often the Police Officers will "talk with you". Be prepared to have these "time wasting" contacts from time to time.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Im ok with unloading in my car... since i am usually unloaded daily here in california

but whats the deal with that? if an officer watches me enter my car and t hen observes me unloading my pistol will he arrest me for unlawful open carry or "concealed carry"

and if the weapon is unloaded once im in my car am i aloud to have it holstered or do i need to have a storage box or something in the car for the weapon until i exit the car

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    Even if you are doing nothing wrong, often the Police Officers will "talk with you". Be prepared to have these "time wasting" contacts from time to time.

I do have the right to remain silent and walk away if im not being detained...

Which i believe i wont be detained for anything stupid like a "E Check"

(californias stupid empty chamber check)

So if they have no reason to be in contact with me, or they feel like they would like to make contact, i can always use my "I'm sorry officers, I was just on my way to a very important event and my time is on very tight restraint, have a nice day"

Post imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
    Im ok with unloading in my car... since i am usually unloaded daily here in california

but whats the deal with that? if an officer watches me enter my car and t hen observes me unloading my pistol will he arrest me for unlawful open carry or "concealed carry"

and if the weapon is unloaded once im in my car am i aloud to have it holstered or do i need to have a storage box or something in the car for the weapon until i exit the car
    If you get in the car loaded, you are in violation, even if you unload once in the car. The statutes are vague on unloaded carry in the car. Mostly it says it must be in an opaque, secure case. (I believe that's the terminology)
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Also, I believe you have to disarm when riding a bus. Someone else might be able to clear that one up.

Post imported post

You can open carry in a bus, there was a thread about that titled Island transit just recently.

Other points likely for a visitor, stadiums do not allow guns. Seattle center is legal, but probably gives you higher probably of getting in a conversation with an officer. Out of state concealed is easy to get and would help with the car nonsense, if you came up again.

Post imported post

I was downtown all dayThursday open carry.At the market,even went into the US bank OC,the one that was held up a few weeks back .NO issues.Seattle police are very pro open carry. see photo.Was at the tea party on the 15th of April.Also OC today at the Seatac mall for about an hour no one said a word.

Post imported post

joe456 wrote:
    You can open carry in a bus, there was a thread about that titled Island transit just recently.

Other points likely for a visitor, stadiums do not allow guns. Seattle center is legal, but probably gives you higher probably of getting in a conversation with an officer. Out of state concealed is easy to get and would help with the car nonsense, if you came up again.
    A bus is the same as in a car. CPL required or it has to be unloaded and in a secure, opaque wrapper.

Post imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
    ......... see photo.Was at the tea party on the 15th of April......
    Yea Yea Here comes Dero's hair style. Jim man where have you been? What is progress on your side regarding that angel lake OC meeting? Cuz lots of people from my side are eagerly waiting for that. Lets gearup and do it big this time...

Post imported post

I agree Manu its time to get back on it .I have been a little preoccupied latley with my new grandson.Why don't we meet for coffee and we'll get this back on track.Be caqreful or will whip out the grandson pics to annoy everyone with.He also has perfect hair by the way.

Post imported post

hahaha

that picture is awesome

thank you guys for all your help you've exceeded in helping answer my questions and beyond..

Now i just gotta get around the unloaded in a car thing, i could unload BEFORE i got into my car...but then i might get in trouble for brandishing my weapon...

Law Enforcement loves to make things difficult huh?

Post imported post

Sure lets do it next week some day other than monday cuz this monday I'll be crazy busy doing preps for Wine Tasting Dinner at Dino's.

Post imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
    amlevin wrote:
    Even if you are doing nothing wrong, often the Police Officers will "talk with you". Be prepared to have these "time wasting" contacts from time to time.

I do have the right to remain silent and walk away if im not being detained...

Which i believe i wont be detained for anything stupid like a "E Check"

(californias stupid empty chamber check)

So if they have no reason to be in contact with me, or they feel like they would like to make contact, i can always use my "I'm sorry officers, I was just on my way to a very important event and my time is on very tight restraint, have a nice day"
    See also:

Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Aug 2004 issue of Law Enforcement Digest, specifically PAGE 2.

Personally I'm a fan of:

Am I under arrest? Open the bid with the highest card as they must 'trump' you to retain authority. I dare say 99.9% of the time this will catch them off guard and they will respond in the negative. This does two things:
    1: If you ARE under arrest, you now knowto **** to protect yourself.
    2: If you are NOT under arrest, you have established such through their own statements, and just trumped any future claims of 'resisting arrest' as you peacefully walk away (after the following).

Am I being detained? Same as above....establish through their own statements that you are NOT being detained. If they indicate that you ARE being detained, DEMAND RAS. Do not relent. It would seem to be general consensus that they are not required to articulate their suspicion to YOU, just that they have it for the judge, but I maintain that if they truly do have RAS then it should be no problem to voice to ME it in the instant matter in order for me to know that they are not playing on (my) ignorance and trying to trick (me) into voluntarily surrendering my rights secured by the fourth and fifth.

If they indicate that you are NOT being detained, do not ASK if you are free to leave...make it a statement that you ARE leaving:

"Thank you. Having established through your own statements (Emphasize that line!), that I am NOT under arrest NOR being detained I am terminating this encounter and departing forthwith (or 'leaving immediately' if that more natural to your speech patterns). I leave you in peace, and bid you good day."

Then turn and WALK. Any action on their part that hinders your free movement from that point on is a direct CRIMINAL violation of 18USC sec 242. Remember....recorders are your friends.

I have had folks say that the whole "departing forthwith" and "I leave you in peace" thing was a little over the top, but I wanted to include a formal statement to establish that I was offering no resistance to any exercise of lawful authority but simply removing myself from their presence and the olde-tyme language pattern seemed to get the point across the best.

Post imported post

Let me know what works for you and I can work around your schedule or come down to the resturant next week sometime.

Post imported post

I simply told one officer at the Seatac Mall that tried to speak to me that he was dismissed and I walked away.Haven't been bothered OC at that Mall since.

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    If you get in the car loaded, you are in violation, even if you unload once in the car. The statutes are vague on unloaded carry in the car. Mostly it says it must be in an opaque, secure case. (I believe that's the terminology)
    Washington's "case and carry" requirements were repealed almost 10 years ago.

The gun, while in the car, merely has to be unloaded unless you have a CPL.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
    I simply told one officer at the Seatac Mall that tried to speak to me that he was dismissed and I walked away.Haven't been bothered OC at that Mall since.
    Did you give the 'you may leave Our Royal Presence' dismissive wave as well?

Post imported post

No I turned and left.Thinking they were going to dive down my face.I looked back and they were gone.I shopped for another half hour and left.

Post imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
    Thank you in advance whoever helps me out with my questions.
    eraseallhope, I will PM you my cell number so you can call me while your in town and ask any questions you may have on the spur of the moment.

I have OCed in California a few times this year and had a fellow OCer play "support staff" for my trips. I figure it time to repay the favor to a Californian.

You got it a lot easier here than California, but I understand it can still be a bit nerve wracking when your visit a new state, especially without a permit.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

As another said, does NOT need to be cased in the vehicle, also no requirement to have ammo separate as some states do.

Only needs to be cased or concealed (as well as unloaded) if left unattended in the vehicle. (RCW 9.41.050)

Do you carry an auto or a revolver? With an auto you can just insert a magazine when you get out of the car and release the mag when you get in without having to unholster/holster. Magazine can sit on the seat next to you or you can drop it in your pocket. You are at a slight disadvantage of having to rack the slide should anything happen though.

Post imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
    Any restrictions on school zones like california's 1000 ft. from a school zone..
    As others have said, WA State only restricts carry on school grounds. However, a federal law (of questionable constitutionality) does restrict carry within 1000 feet of schools; that applies here as well as in California. (Are you sure you're thinking of a CA law and not the Federal law?)

If you have a state-issued license that involves a background check, the 1000 feet prohibition in the federal law does not apply. If you're not going to have a non-resident CPL while you're here, that's not going to help you.

You might want to grab and read (even carry with you - strongly recommended) some of the pamphlets...

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/writings/Washington%20Gun%20Rights%20Pamphlet.pdf

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/firearms_laws_washington.pdf

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/open_carry_training_bulletins_washington.pdf

Post imported post

911Boss wrote:
    Only needs to be cased or concealed (as well as unloaded) if left unattended in the vehicle. (RCW 9.41.050)
    RCW 9.41.050 does not specify it must be unloaded if unattended.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
    All it specifies is "locked within the vehicle and concealed from view".

This section only applies to loaded firearms. If leaving a loaded firearm in the vehicle was prohibited, subsection (iii) would not exist.

Post imported post

Take a run ove rto Kitsap County while you are here (nice ferry ride) and visit the Sheriff's office. You should be able to walk out with a CPL. Solves lots of problems for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast