• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Racine

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The wife and I went out to run some errands today, and for the first time I carried open while shopping. I have my CCW permit for other states, so this isn't my first time in a "public" place while armed, but I must say it was different.

No incidents to report, one guy did a double take at Pick'n Save as I was ordering some chicken at the deli, but aside from that everything went smoothly. My wife was a little uneasy about it, but I think after the 3rd store or so she was getting better with it.

I carried in Farm & Fleet in Sturtevant, Pick'n Save on Rapids, Panara Bread on Hwy 20, and Walmart on Hwy 11.

Carry on.. =)

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congrats man! You'll get some stares and a few "are you a cop?" comments but I find most people don't notice or care. Glad to here that your wife is ok with it. I have a buddy of mine and his woman gives him crap for it all the time.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carried for about 2 hours in Walmart again yesterday... I had conversations with employees, and shared some laughs with an older lady while checking out... no incidents. =)

Also carried in Old Navy, no problem...

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC'd into Pick'n Save on 4 mile and Douglas... business as usual, I don't think anyone noticed besides some people in a car in the parking lot as I walked in.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I continue to carry around town, Panera Bread, Ace Hardware, Pick'n Save on 4 mile, took a walk down Charles Street, no issues.

Carry on...

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carried in Blockbuster on 4 Mile and Douglas last night... The two clerks that I talked to glanced at the firearm, said nothing. Several customers did the same.

No issues, business as usual. Carry On!

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pick 'n Save on 4 mile road a couple days ago, took a walk down South St. (avoiding the school zone) and on Douglas Ave. to Dairy Queen then back home, Pick 'n Save on 4 Mile Rd. again...

No issues, Carry On!!!!

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MY FIRST "INCIDENT"

OC'd in Pick 'n Save on 4 mile & Douglas again last night (geez I go there a lot)...

It was about 10pm or when we arrived, as I was going to the trunk to holster up I noticed that cart kid in the parking lot about 30' behind me at my 4:30. I usually try not to make a production out of holstering up, and I might even wait a second or two if people are walking by my car before I holster up. He wasn't going anywhere soon, I proceeded to insert magazine, rack the slide, and holster my pistol... I start walking to the entry doors when I hear, "Sir, sir..."

I turn around to see him pushing cart to the door with a nervous look on his face, he says "Is that a gun?".

me: "yes"

cart kid: "oooooook"

me: "open carrying of a firearm is legal in wisconsin, no need to worry" I smiled and headed into the store. As I was getting my cart I saw him walking toward the service counter, I didn't know if he was just carrying on with his duties or going to inform someone. At this point in the evening it's pretty dead at Pick 'n Save. We continue with our shopping, I head down the isle, while in the isle I can hear the cart kid talking to a guy in the next isle.

The guy says, "I've heard that's legal, don't worry about it."

We finish up in our isle and turn into that isle. Shop as normal, we were looking for something we couldn't find so I approach the worker and asked for help. As he is showing he where the item is he says, "you know you are making people nervous?"

me: "why?"

He patted his side referencing my firearm.

me: "people or just that cart kid?"

worker: "yeah, just him... I've heard it's legal, but I don't know anything about it."

me: "yeah, it's new to people in WI......"

he had questions about it, which I took the time to answer. As we were talking the cart kid walked up and asked some questions. It was a good conversation, and they both walked away informed and didn't seem the least bit intimidated by me carrying anymore.

After that no issues.... I would call this my most successful carrying experience, as I got to protect myself and got to inform some people about open carry!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Good interaction!

I went in to tan the other day and when I left the girl working there (who I've always had a good repoire with said) "is that a gun!"

I was in a hurry, but stopped and took a couple minutes to explain to her the legality etc.

One intersting comment she made was "do you think you'll ever have to use it?"

My response to her was "The great part about open-carry is that it pretty much ASSURES that you'll NEVER have to use it. ANY criminal that sees itwould just move along to the next target of opportunity" and then added "criminals want NOTHING to do with ANYONE who is armed because they know that if they harm or attempt to harm that person, that person has EVERY legal right and is capable ofdefending themselves"

It was like a lightbulb went on in her head when she realized that was true. Sometimes I throw in a little 'teaser' when I talk to people like saying "think if you were walking home alone from a friends house at night (she lives near UWM) and you had a sidearm. Any thug that thought of doing something bad would totally avoid you and pick the next person if they saw you were armed. And if they didn't see you were armed, wouldn't you rather have the sidearm to protect yourself than be....... you know?"

Its great to see the wheels turning in peoples heads.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carried into Pick 'n Save and Cousins Subs on 4 mile and Douglas... I broke my nose kneeboarding last weekend and went in with a couple of black eyes, no issues.

Carry on.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Haven't post in awhile... I continue to carry at my normal shopping places like Pick'n Save...

Different places I carried into this past week were Kmart on Douglas and 4 mile, Rasmussen's on Washington, Best Buy on Hwy 31 (near Hwy 11)...

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC'd into Home Depot on Hwy 31 this weekend, twice actually. On Friday evening I had one younger employee star down my sidearm as I said hello to him, the rest of the shopping experience was business as usual.

When I returned Saturday evening I walked past 2 officers at the entrance, not even a second look. I saw that younger employee again, he asked "you undercover?" as I walked by. I stopped to talk and said, "I wouldn't be very undercover now would I!". I gave him a little explanation of OC, he asked if anyone had challenged me on it, I stated that I had no issues in the 4 months I've been carrying, and that I walked right past the 2 officers at the entrance without issue. He didn't really seem as if he was really sold on the idea, but we can't change everyone.

OC'd into Ace Hardware on Douglas (near 3 mile)
2 trips into the store this weekend, I frequently carrying to the store, no issues what so ever.

OC'd into Autozone on Douglas/Yout
got asked if I was LEO, since they offer a discount to LEO/Fire personal (didn't know that). Had a little conversation about OC with the guy behind the counter, said he was interested in carrying, but hadn't seen anyone doing so. Maybe my carrying experience with inspire him.

OC'd into Douglas Hardware (on Douglas Ave next to Autozone)
No issues, didn't really interact with anyone but the checkout lady, she was fine.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also OC'd all day in my yard (when I wasn't driving to the store to get something), on Sunday I had a police car roll through my alley as I was cutting up a weed-tree. He approached me on my strong side, I don't know how he wouldn't have noticed my sidearm (wearing tan shorts and shirt with a blackhawk and a glock), he gave me a nod and a smile and proceeded on his way.

Talked with several neighbors, headed over to a neighbors place to have lunch with his family, no issues what so ever.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My wife and I were out and about again last night getting ready for the Jimmy Buffett concert this weekend. :D

OC'd at Pick'n Save on 4 Mile & Douglas
Business as usual, I was in the store for about 45 minutes. One guy looked at me a little weird in the frozen section, but I smiled and he said, "Hi".

OC'd at Arbee's Liquor on Douglas
Had an employee help us find what we were looking for, he noticed I was carrying and asked as he was ringing us up if I was a cop, my wife promptly replied, "Open Carry is legal in WI, no need to be a cop." He said, "Oh yeah", but didn't seem to really know, so I explained it a little more to him and we were on our way.

OC'd at Dollar Tree on 3 Mile & Erie
Talked with someone who I assume was the manage to help us find something, was only in the store for about 15 minutes, no issues.

Carry on!!!!

oak1971

imported post

I would like to open carry, but I don't want to get "cuffed and stuffed". I don't have the money to fight any charges an overzealous cop and da might bring just to discourage carry. :(