• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Racine

tronsy

imported post

hi my name is josh i just moved to racine wi. i grew up in wi but in madison and eau claire. i just moved here from idaho . my wife is active duty navy so we finally made the move to be here with her. idaho is a devoutly open carry state. i open carried everywhere i went back there never ever had a problem. it was common knowledge to the people in the state that open carry is the law. now i have found a little controversy as to what the real laws are here around wi. i am most comfortable open carrying as they say without my gun out my claws are not out. i am looking for some people in the area that currently open carry so my wife and i can get back to what we are comfortable with and open carry in our community. if there is anyone who reads these posts that can help us expand our knowledge of whats acceptable around here i can get a firm grasp of my boundaries. also in the town we came from i was the only person to open carry in a town of 100000 people. no joke there were a few that ccw. but i never ever saw another person that was open carrying. if i can find some people around here that are 2nd amendmant concious [sp?] we would really appreciate it. you can directly email me at tronsy2000@tmail.com and i will get back to you promptly as it will go straight to my phone. we would really love to hear from some fellow oc citizens. i am tired of being the only person in my town to oc.

AaronS

imported post

Welcome to Wisconsin. This is about the best place to be asking the questions you are asking. I would think that you will get a few e-mails from some of your local new friends. McX is in your city, and runs an auto shop if I remember. Might be a good place to start.

The big one to watch is the school zone. 1000 feet is a big area. School is (any)grade 1-12 only, daycare and the learning centers do not count. No bars, no gov. buildings. The good news is that you made it to Wisconsin just in time to vote next year! We should be getting more gun rights back at that time.A holster is just part of my belt now days. I have yet to have any issues with open carry. I do find the need to carry a few fliers to hand out though. People ask about it all the time. I carry one gun, I still think the fliers I have handed out have more power (one vote per.).

M

McX

imported post

Welcome Josh. the information and experiences I can share are a mixed bag at this time: Were declared OC at our shop. Everyone in the city government knows it, as when we had problems with some criminals in our district, in our letter of complaint to the Police, and City Officials we clearly mentioned our position of Open Carry on our premices. Discussions with the Police have been few; They were interested in where specifically we carried on our property, but didn't seem interested in interfering with our rights. Some of the Police that drive by the shop give us the evil eye, but again no interactions result. Out on a public street it may be be different story. One of our members here ran afoul of the Police during an incident, that he was observing, but not directly envolved in. He got arrested, and his weapon siezed. The local paper silenced the issue, apparently not wanting to discuss OC, or anything related to it. The City officials made no response to our Open Carry policy, neither endorsing, nor condemning, but they are aware of it none the less. Information given to me says that on the Police.com type forums the lines are split- 50% for, 50% against. So hopefully as you move about society here "protected" you will be viewed, and have dealings with the 50% support "group". Caledonia seems to be enlightened- I haven't heard of any bad encounters with Police or Citizens there. Nothing heard out of Mt. Pleasant yet. I haven't heard of any encounters of OC-ers with The Racine County Sheriff yet. At my home, and at my shop I'm hemmed in by school zones, so I can carry on my own property, but no where else in proximity to either places. The problem area seems to be the public; Some are accepting, some are panic stricken, and the panic stricken will bring the Police. Problems may result when they make a call to the Police. I don't know what levels of training the various Police agencies have had on OC rights. So you may, or may not, be forced to interact with a Police Officer who clearly understands OC rights, if and when that happens. I guess the best advice is; Carry responsibly, know your laws to the letter, know your school zones by heart, be courteous, and friendly to all you meet while OC-ing. Do your best to further the movement. Do not be ashamed you have elected to protect yourself, be ready to respond when cornered by a citizen who opposes your views, and expresses them loudly for all near to hear. Use the truth, and facts to deflect their criticisms of you. Be Non-confrontational. Watch for posted signs prohibiting guns in a buisness, or establishment.

M

McX

imported post

Also, this site offers a TON of resources. Experiences and reports from other OC-ers all over the country. Detailed legal information. And it's most valuable resource; It's members. Everyone here is very willing to help and discuss situations or issues with you, to aid in decision making on your part. People like AaronS, Magnelude, Rook, they all have "real time" daily OC experience, experience you can draw knowledge from. BnH computing is an outstanding mentor, even for me. And depending upon your point of view; Master Doug Huffman is a walking encyclopedia of detailed knowledge to draw on, and learn from. Others too NutZak,Interceptor Knight, J. Gleason, Parabellum, Tomahawk, they are all interesting people, who give flavor, and insight to any discussion you participate in. This site is by far your best resource to use. I personally don't go to anywhere else, other than this site. Your in amongst friends here, and you will indeed make friends here.

protias

imported post

tronsy2000 wrote:
hi my name is josh i just moved to racine wi. i grew up in wi but in madison and eau claire. i just moved here from idaho . my wife is active duty navy so we finally made the move to be here with her. idaho is a devoutly open carry state. i open carried everywhere i went back there never ever had a problem. it was common knowledge to the people in the state that open carry is the law. now i have found a little controversy as to what the real laws are here around wi. i am most comfortable open carrying as they say without my gun out my claws are not out. i am looking for some people in the area that currently open carry so my wife and i can get back to what we are comfortable with and open carry in our community. if there is anyone who reads these posts that can help us expand our knowledge of whats acceptable around here i can get a firm grasp of my boundaries. also in the town we came from i was the only person to open carry in a town of 100000 people. no joke there were a few that ccw. but i never ever saw another person that was open carrying. if i can find some people around here that are 2nd amendmant concious [sp?] we would really appreciate it. you can directly email me at tronsy2000@tmail.com and i will get back to you promptly as it will go straight to my phone. we would really love to hear from some fellow oc citizens. i am tired of being the only person in my town to oc.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_t...in+Statutes+and+Case+Law+Surrounding+Firearms

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tronsy2000 wrote:
Hi Josh, good to hear there are more people in Racine looking to OC. I'm still waiting for the day when I see another person OC'g (besides LEO).

I'm on the north side of town (near Douglas Ave & South St.), as you can probably see from all of my posts in this thread I open carry pretty much everywhere I can. I was tentative at first, but it didn't take much time to get over that.

I know that I'm not breaking any laws, so I have nothing to worry about. I've never been stopped or questioned by LEO or a manager of a store even. I've talked to several employees and patrons over the last 6 months or so. OC'g is getting harder now because of the weather, but I have ditched my jacket and go with a sweatshirt when OC'g so I don't have any concealment issues.

lilevo

imported post

Just open carried today (Black Friday) at the Best Buy, Menards, and Home Depot in Racine.

I was asked to leave Home Depot by Jason the "Pro Desk" Employee. He approached me along with a female Subject, asked me to put my gun in my car because it was making employees and customers uneasy and nervous. He appeared quite nervous even asking me! I asked if I could make my purchase on the way out (registers were on the way to the door) and he said "NO!". He made sure to tell me that he didn't want me to think they wanted me to leave or anything. Unreal.

Wow.

I gladly took my business to Menards.

Does anyone have a blanket open carry/statute letter I can borrow to send to Home Depot? They will be getting a nasty gram from me.

Haven't had any issues in Caledonia Pick N Save/KMart as of yet.

AaronS

imported post

lilevo wrote:
Just open carried today (Black Friday) at the Best Buy, Menards, and Home Depot in Racine.

I was asked to leave Home Depot by Jason the "Pro Desk" Employee. He approached me along with a female Subject, asked me to put my gun in my car because it was making employees and customers uneasy and nervous. He appeared quite nervous even asking me! I asked if I could make my purchase on the way out (registers were on the way to the door) and he said "NO!". He made sure to tell me that he didn't want me to think they wanted me to leave or anything. Unreal.

Wow.

Does anyone have a blanket open carry/statute letter I can borrow to send to Home Depot? They will be getting a nasty gram from me.

I do not have any "form" letter I send out. Each one has been custom. I will be sitting down in the morning to start a letter for Home Depot. In my letter I will be asking if I should also expect this to happen to me in there stores in Milwaukee (I have OC'd in two). If I do not get the response I want, I will also stop shopping at Home Depot as well. I am very sure I can get anything I might need at other stores from now on. Menards is very close to me anyway.

M

McX

imported post

One thing that chokes me. These kids these days; They'll sit home all day, and slaughter half of mankind in a video game, then go to their jobs, and tremble in fear at the sight of an OC-er. Hypocrits? You decide.

comp45acp

imported post

lilevo wrote:

I was asked to leave Home Depot by Jason the "Pro Desk" Employee.  He approached me along with a female Subject, asked me to put my gun in my car because it was making employees and customers uneasy and nervous.  He appeared quite nervous even asking me!  I asked if I could make my purchase on the way out (registers were on the way to the door) and he said "NO!".  He made sure to tell me that he didn't want me to think they wanted me to leave or anything.  Unreal.

Wow. 

Does anyone have a blanket open carry/statute letter I can borrow to send to Home Depot?  They will be getting a nasty gram from me. 

Do a little research on the Internet. Find the names and addresses for the Corporate offices. Write a letter (snail mail) to at least the CFO (chief financial officer) as he understands what it will cost to lose a customer. All the major corporations have done their homework and know the lifetime value (in terms of dollars spent) of each customer Describe what happened, what the law is in WI, and let them know you enjoy your shopping experience in their store but can only continue to shop there if they respect your rights. Ask them if they really want a store clerk making an executive level decision. This is the approach I took with Roundy's and after a couple letters and some phone calls they sent a memo to all of their store managers telling them that what is legal in WI is legal in their stores. Be polite and professional but firm in your dealings with them.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
lilevo wrote:

Wow.

I do not have any "form" letter I send out. Each one has been custom. I will be sitting down in the morning to start a letter for Home Depot. In my letter I will be asking if I should also expect this to happen to me in there stores in Milwaukee (I have OC'd in two). If I do not get the response I want, I will also stop shopping at Home Depot as well. I am very sure I can get anything I might need at other stores from now on. Menards is very close to me anyway.
I'll be sending out a letter to Home Depot too, I've OC'd there at least ten times with out issue...

Tonight I OC'd at the following places while X-Mas shopping...

Regency Mall
JC Penney's, Buckle, V.Secret, Gap, Boston Store, Limited, Game Stop, Bookstore, Sears.... no issues. We were there about 2 hours total.

Walmart (Hwy 11)
About 90 minutes total, no issues.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More OC'g without issue over the last couple weeks...

Danny's Meat Market (4 Mile and Charles)

Brossman's Meat Market (Hwy 31 near 6 Mile)

Home Depot (near Regency Mall)

Regency Mall (Hwy 11 & Hwy 31)

Sears (Regency Mall)

Kmart (4 Mile & Douglas)

Walgreens (4 Mile & Douglas)

Walmart (Hwy 11 & Oakes Rd)

Pick 'n Save (4 Mile & Douglas)

Blockbuster (4 Mile & Douglas)

Carry on!!!!