• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lacey Open Carry Report

OC-Aviator

imported post

I have been openly carrying for about 4 or 5 months now and today was my first questioning by the public.

So the day started by when I left the house with my Kimber BP PRO TEN II in my serpa holster, and I went to Lowes on the corner of College St. and Yelm Hwy. I was in the store for half an hour and no comments were spoken to me and if anyone had noticed I could not tell.

I then drove to Walmart off of I-5 on Galaxy Dr. and did some grocery shopping. A non verbal encounter occured when a gentleman in his mid to late forties broke his neck to see my pistol and he continued to stare at me until I left the row he was in. When my shopping was done I stopped to purchase my items and I was standing behind a family of four. A husband, wife and two young girls around the ages of 8-9. I noticed that when one of the girls was looking at the candy she noticed my pistol and wispered to her sister. The girl then tried to interupt her mother who was writing a check, "mom, mom, mom," the mom says "Not now in a minute jessica!" "but mom I need to tell you somthing" "NOT NOW!" The mom says. The girl pouted and then went to the dad and said "Dad that man has a gun, I think we need to tell the police" The father then told her "No, that man has the right to carry it, its not against the law, and he is not hurting anyone he is minding his own business." The girl said "but our teacher said" and the father cut her off and said "Your teacher is wrong! guns are not bad only some people are bad, they are trying to brainwash you." and then they left, and I checked out.

I then drove over to Costco the buy some strawberries that my wife wanted. I was walking around for about 5 minutes when a man in his twenties and his friend approached me and asked "Are you a cop?" I said no. He then said "well think you should cover your firearm up if you were trying to carry concealed" I then told him that I was excercising open carry. I then explained the law to him. He told me he did not know this and that he too was carrying concealed and that had he known this he would not have got his CCW. I told him I used to have one for Alabama while I was in flight school, but have since not agreed with getting one. And I explained that I dont have a CCW because I believe you cannot register or tax a fundamental right as was proved by the case (POSTMASTER GENERAL VS. LAMONT). And by the name "Permit" denounces that it is a right. The state is "permitting" you to carry concealed which means that you are being allowed to carry, like its not your right to begin with.
Over all he seemed excited that he could carry open. I also handed him and his friend the WA. Carry trifold pamplet. Which I always carry with me for just such an occasion.

After I checked out I then went to the concession shack and purchased a Polish hotdog and I sat at the tables and ate my lunch. Just as I was about to leave the store manager approached me and said she understood that it was my right to carry a firearm openly in Washington but it is corporate policy that it must be concealed when in the store, and she asked me to cover it and I told her I cant cover it because I do not have a CCW. I then said "well I am about to leave right now so in the future I just wont bring it in with me, your store has rules and if i want to do business with your store I will follow them even if i dont agree with them." She said "thank you" And I said "not a problem" She then told me she was glad I was level headed and she too belives in the second amendment and that "people who carry are usually the most polite." I then left and went home.

I hope I have set a good example of a person who carries and is a decent law abiding citizen and not the media portraid nut job.

OC-AVIATOR--OUT!

Manu

imported post

Good Job AVIATOR, I had a similar experience like "...teacher said that guns are bad..." in that situation I left few washington gun right pamphlets with kids for them to read and share with thier teachers. and dad was greatfull for that...

FMCDH

imported post

Avaitor, great PR, and great attitude.

I just don't get approached much anymore. Not sure if its because people are too afraid to talk to me, people just assume I am an LEO, or because people in Washington are getting well educated.

Since the weather started getting nicer, I have been OCing about 80% of the time, but have only been approached twice since April, and no LEO stops at all this year. Only thing I get now a-days is people peeking to my hip and asking what I am carrying.

I like to think that people are just getting educated or just don't care, but its been pointed out that I just look to much like a LEO due to my age, military grooming and build.

I am gonna have to start "Jehovah's Witnessing" people on the street if business don't pick up. ;):D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Great job!!!!!! I love what that man said. If I was him I would be taking a trip to my daughters school to educate theteacher, although the little girl wasn't wrong for saying there was a man with a gun, what if she saw a low-life about ready to rob or mug someone. She gets kudos to for telling her parents. And she was taught a valuable lesson from her father.

cdjspider

imported post

Excellent work on handling that situation.

First time being asked in 4-5 months? Wow, I swear I get asked once a week, although none have been cops. The last time I was asked was kinda embarrassing though...

I was filling up at this gas station that I always go to, they have the cheapest gas in town and I've already had a talk with the store owner and he was really interested in carrying a gun, I had already had a good chat with him in a previous visit. Anyways, Im standing in line with my debt card waiting to prepay when this guy comes up and asks me about getting a permit to open carry. While I was in the middle of talking to him I see my car rolling away. As it turns out I forgot to put the E-brake on. As can be expected I quickly dart out the door to stop my run away car, luckily I caught up to it and stopped it before it had a chance to hit anything. I come back in the store and the guy I was talking to was gone, but the owner was there chuckling away as I payed for my gas. As I was leaving the guy did come up to me and we finished our talk. At the end of this little event he learned about carrying a gun and I learned to double and triple check that my E-brake is on...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Is that in Lynden? I put gas at am/pm Bakerview/airport exit. I am freinds with the owners and they have been very open and receptive to open carry.

cdjspider

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Is that in Lynden? I put gas at am/pm Bakerview/airport exit. I am freinds with the owners and they have been very open and receptive to open carry.
Naw, its the one by the bakerview/Meridian intersection, right next to the new car wash place.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

OC-Aviator, great job. Just wanted to let you know, there is no permit to carry a concealed weapon. In Washington state it is a CPL, Concealed Pistol License. It doesn't make much sense trying to explain "permit" to someone who you are trying to educate about carry laws when there is no permit in the wording of that little document that allows you to conceal and carry loaded in your vehicle. ;)

As an aside, I've been OC'ing for about a year and a half and I've never once been approached by anyone besides the Kent Police. Two encounters by police and none by citizens. No one is curious, no one asks me if I'm LEO, and no one ever freaks-out. For me, openly carrying has been mostly a non issue.

FunkTrooper

imported post

The only encounter I had was a few days ago when a guy walked up to me and said it was great to see someone open carrying, we chatted for a bit about guns and what not for awhile.

I'm really glad that no one seems to be bothered about OC even the cops here seem to care.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Good to see that Lacey isn't being a problem. I haven't had a chance to OC around there much. Never really go there to tell ya the truth though.

fire suppressor

imported post

"Your teacher is wrong! guns are not bad only some people are bad, they are trying to brainwash you.

LOL There are level headed people out there!