• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

driving to........

Nate245

imported post

I'm driving to California from AZ I was wondering if I can carry my .357 in my car? If so how may I carry it??
Thanks for the help!!!

nukechaser

imported post

(For what it is worth...)

To quote the CA Highway Patrol's website at: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.
-----------------------------------------------------

Welcome to California! ;)

Nate245

imported post

Thank you! I really don't feel like getting into any trouble this weekend so thanks for letting me know how to carry in our state!

FMCDH

imported post

Another excellent resource is... http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on California in the map and it will give you at least a few hours of good reading. :)

If I can give you one piece of advice about carrying in California, it would be not to do it until you understand each related law backwards and forwards, and you have read as much information on this and other carry forums about the common practices of the local and county police departments and the experiences of others in those areas.

The very last thing you want to be doing is trailblazing OC rights in California unless you are independently wealthy and have LOTS of free time on your hands.

Forewarned is fore-armed ;)

demnogis

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
The very last thing you want to be doing is trailblazing OC rights in California unless you are independently wealthy and have LOTS of free time on your hands.

Not entirely true.... Just be prepared, if OCing, to spend at least 5mins to 2hrs resolving any issues with LEOs over the legality of OCing.

Also, response depends on location. Be aware of schools, government buildings, etc. Most malls will either ask you to leave or call the police if you carry there.

Keep a locking container in your car, should you need to stow yer weapon.

Check www.californiaopencarry.org for more info.

:)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

During transport I would simply keep the firerams locked up. The locked container can be kept anywhere in the vehicle - even in reach of the driver, and contrary to popular rumor you can keep the mags/ammo in the same container. This provides you the best legal protection, while still allowing you to have your firearm somewhat accessible - just unlock and load.

Due to our ridiculous 1,000-foot school zones, coupled with malicious prosecution, it's just not worth it if you don't know the lay of the land very well.

FMCDH

imported post

demnogis wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

Not entirely true.... Just be prepared, if OCing, to spend at least 5mins to 2hrs resolving any issues with LEOs over the legality of OCing.

Also, response depends on location. Be aware of schools, government buildings, etc. Most malls will either ask you to leave or call the police if you carry there.

Keep a locking container in your car, should you need to stow yer weapon.

Check http://www.californiaopencarry.org for more info.

:)
I was being dramatic...:p

You should definitely know your laws however, and have a very reasonable expectation that you could end up ordered to the ground with firearms drawn on you by police.

Good luck! :D