• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition

sureshot

imported post

I was on a website and was informed that "Winchester Ranger Talon" ammunition was legal to use. It said that when it flattened out, the edges were razor sharp and cut thru flesh causing more damage. Does anyone here know if they are legal?

redlegagent

imported post

My out look is if you can buy it - it's legal. Despite all the hype, talons are old tech. Lot's of new personal defense ammo out there these days without the worry of LEO sales. ;)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

I always lol at Talons being "illegal" or why people think they should be illegal. If you're already taking a .45//.40/9 to the chest... does it really matter if it's got sharp edges on it? Seems like sharp edges would be the least of that person's problems.

thorvaldr

imported post

Various styles of JHP pistol ammunition have been designated "law enforcement only" from time to time. These designations are company policy not actually a law. These types of ammunition are perfectly legal and routinely available through various distributors.

dac844

imported post

http://www.ammosphere.com has them for 35 bucks a box for 50, only in .40 and .45 though.

something to note, they don't say anywhere on their only for law enforcement. I'm also pretty sure that iv'e seen them on the shelf at one of my local stores. it may depend on your state laws too.

6L6GC

imported post

dac844 wrote:
ammosphere.com has them for 35 bucks a box for 50, only in .40 and .45 though.

something to note, they don't say anywhere on their only for law enforcement. I'm also pretty sure that iv'e seen them on the shelf at one of my local stores. it may depend on your state laws too.

I tried the link but got the 404 error. I would think that if they are for sale on the shelf in the local sporting goods store they would be legal to have. Don't see how they could be illegal to have if they are for sale to the public. But then I'm not a lawyer...................

colt45ws

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
dac844 wrote:

I tried the link but got the 404 error. I would think that if they are for sale on the shelf in the local sporting goods store they would be legal to have. Don't see how they could be illegal to have if they are for sale to the public. But then I'm not a lawyer...................
For some reason the link ended up pointing to this server, probably because it lacks the rest of the url. http://www.ammosphere.com

dac844

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
dac844 wrote:

I tried the link but got the 404 error.  I would think that if they are for sale on the shelf in the local sporting goods store they would be legal to have.  Don't see how they could be illegal to have if they are for sale to the public.  But then I'm not a lawyer...................

fixed

Alexcabbie

imported post

Most servicable self-defense rounds are to a greater or lesser degree "nasty". Most of us. myself included, have never fired a shot "in anger", and most of us hope to keep it that way. However, if you are not fully prepared to use your weapon IF AND WHEN the occasion arises, you are better off just leaving it at home. Otherwise file off the front sight so it won't hurt so much when the BG sticks it up your ass.

Myself I don't carry (usually except for my .44 which is usually loaded with Specials) better than .38Spl or 9mm. And most commonly it's my PPK/s with .380, and I do not give a damn if anybody considers .380 "less than manly". I don't carry a firearm in order to be "manly". I carry it for the same reason that hotels and apartment buldings stock fire extinguishers. And you put me 15 feet away from some punk with a .40, holding it "gangsta" style, and by the time he is ready to fire his second poorly-aimed shot I will have drawh a bead on his forehead, drawn a breath and let half of it go, aligned my sights and pulled the trigger. Then: BLAMMO!! no more threat.

Talons and holowpoints and such have their place as "force multipliers". But a hit with a FMJ is better than a miss with whatever round (or caliber) you miss with. The object of the exersise is to END THE THREAT, YOU DO NOT SHOOT TO KILL, YOU SHOOT TO LIVE!!! As a firearm owner and as a man who carries for self defense - and speaking only for myself - I pray Almighty God I never EVER have to kill another human. And I hope that is the case with the rest of us.

Call me a wuss, but when I hold a .38 hollowpoint and think what it woul do to human flesh, I shudder. Oh, there is no doubt but what Iwould launch such a thing at someone who was threatening precious human life. But be it FMJ. SWC, JHP, HydraShok, whatever. It's a effing BULLET and it is LETHAL.

Of course everybody knows this. The people I call"type one" antis however see us as a bunch of louts who are ready to kill at the drop of a hat. I trust that all of us have no desire to EVER kill ANYONE EVER. And if by any chance your heart's desire is to kill another human being then I have two words to say to you. And those two words afe NOT "Happy Birthday".

TheMrMitch

imported post

The BT isn't much better than 9x18 Barnaul 95 gr JHP.

9x18jhp-1.jpg