• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silver Bullet spreading falsehoods.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

I just talked to my dad, and he says a guy at his church was at Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids MI (By the way they teach CPL classes), they told him that you can not open carry if you have a CPL. From being here and reading into everything before I already now for a fact the you can open carry at more place such as ,Walmart ,Stores the serve alcohol, a Bar, and many others that are prohibited if you don't have a CPL. The reason I am writing this is to have a Senior Member educate Silver Bullet, so they don't go around teaching everyone in their CPL classes these Lies. The have miss educated who know how many people. This I think is meant to scare people from OCing and looks like people are beleiving it. Someone needs to call Silver Bullet In Grand Rapids and let them know that this is not OK. I have not had a problem with Silver Bullet in the past, in fact I bought 3 or 4 guns from them. Please let me know. I can call but I think it is better left to someone who has been doing this longer and know the laws better, as these a supposedly well educated people. Thanks Here is thier phone # 616-249-1911 They are closed on Sundays.

Michigander

imported post

We need to have an info packet specifically to give to CPL teachers. Maybe also a packet specifically intended to be given to CPL students.

T Vance

imported post

The guy who taught my CPL class told us that you can not show a bit of your gun (he never said anything about open carry). He just said you can't have your barrel showing at all and the rest concealed, and that the entire gun needs to be concealed.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If you have a CPL (CWP here) to conceal, the permit is only to conceal... not carry. WhereOC is recognized, it doesn't matter much how much of the weapon is concealed or whatever. You retain the Right to 'carry'. The permit only addresses one method. Rights do not require permit or license.

Some of the people who teach this CC stuffdon't comprehend the difference betwen 'rights... license and permit.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
I just talked to my dad, and he says a guy at his church was at Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids MI (By the way they teach CPL classes), they told him that you can not open carry if you have a CPL. From being here and reading into everything before I already now for a fact the you can open carry at more place such as ,Walmart ,Stores the serve alcohol, a Bar, and many others that are prohibited if you don't have a CPL. The reason I am writing this is to have a Senior Member educate Silver Bullet, so they don't go around teaching everyone in their CPL classes these Lies. The have miss educated who know how many people. This I think is meant to scare people from OCing and looks like people are beleiving it. Someone needs to call Silver Bullet In Grand Rapids and let them know that this is not OK. I have not had a problem with Silver Bullet in the past, in fact I bought 3 or 4 guns from them. Please let me know. I can call but I think it is better left to someone who has been doing this longer and know the laws better, as these a supposedly well educated people. Thanks Here is thier phone # 616-249-1911 They are closed on Sundays.
Do you have a phone? Can you give them a call and enlighten them. We need people doing these things at a grass roots level. If they can't get results then MOC can try.

ghostrider

imported post

It's probably just an employee who said that. There was an incident where a member was told that they couldn't OC in SB, but after talking to the manager it was cleared up, and he was told that OC was welcome in SB. When things like this happen, it's important to get the persons name. The management can't do much about it if they don't know who to address.

As far as the class goes. Lost of CPL instructors give out misinformation. FWIW, Steve Dulan teaches the law portion of their classes (or at least he was last winter).

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I took my CPL class there about 3.5 years ago. The attorney we had was NOT knowledgeable in the slightest regarding OC (I really question whether he had a clear understanding of CC too). After a few questions, I just kept my mouth shut. He told our class that if we so much as "print" we could be successfully convicted of "improper use of a firearm"(???); even claimed that people in Michigan had been convicted of doing just that. When I questioned his statement, he just glared at me, and moved on. I think he was from the Muskegon area though, so I'm sure it was not Atty. Dulan. Everybody else in the class thought he was so "knowledgable".

But, I guess that's why we are here;).

Michigander

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
The attorney we had was NOT knowledgeable in the slightest regarding OC

On a related note, Dean Greenblat was the attorney who answered questions for my CPL class, and I was impressed, because he knows just as much about OCing as anyone here, even though he isn't into it himself. Several times when someone asked "what if's", he would say "well that depends, would you be carrying concealed or openly?"

Without hesitation I can recommend him as THE guy I would go to if I got popped by police for lawful OCing, especially in the southeast lower peninsula.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

I just got off the phone with a manager from Silver Bullet. I am happy to report that they will be visiting this page and educating there employees about the open carry laws in MI. The manager I spoke with seemed to be aware that you can open carry in MI with a CPL. But soon I hope all the people who work there will know that as well. I had a very pleasant conversation with him and he seemed to understand the need for people to at least know about open carry being legal. Hopefully he will be reading this and if he is I do appreciate the fact that you are looking into this. I hope to be a customer of Silver Bullet for a very long time to come.

Also he informed me they now have a very knowledgeable attorney in OC by the name of Steven Dulan. This is the attorney that is representing the famous Grand Haven Coast Guard OC.

dougmod33

imported post

Smoothsound21, enjoyed talking to you when you called Silver Bullet Firearms today. I will post on here what the official Silver Bullet emplyees will be told at our meetings. It may take a little while to cycle thru as we have 20 some employees to talk with. Thanks again for the call . Doug

lechwe

imported post

It's refreshing to see a business owner educating his employees instead of making excusses.

It show's great character when someone is more interested in doing things right and giving correct info than pushing an agenda.

Thanks for your support and I'll be using your store as well when in the area.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Awesome, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is beyond refreshing for me. This is downright encouraging!

Well done Smooth, well done.

And a big thanks to Doug for actually having an open mind and listening, many, many kudos to you sir.

I wonder, might you be interested in taking it small step further and putting an OpenCarry.Org sticker up on your door? Or possibly even putting some info cards or tracts up in the store? No pressure, we're all friends here, but it can't hurt to ask!

ghostrider

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Awesome, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is beyond refreshing for me. This is downright encouraging!

Well done Smooth, well done.

And a big thanks to Doug for actually having an open mind and listening, many, many kudos to you sir.

I wonder, might you be interested in taking it small step further and putting an OpenCarry.Org sticker up on your door? Or possibly even putting some info cards or tracts up in the store? No pressure, we're all friends here, but it can't hurt to ask!

It wouldn't be a bad idea since another gun store in town does just that, and they print it up on their own paper.