• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Dem Gov Candidate Uses 2A Smear

The Donkey

imported post

Negative Attacks Miss the Point

It's the weekend before the election date. My experienceis you hit your opponent hard the last few weeks(if you have to)but close on a positive for yourself.

Apparently not everyone agrees.

This weekend I received a coupleflyers attacking C. Deeds for the first time on gun issues and then a television clip where Brian Moran calls Creigh "an extremist" on 2nd Amendment issues. Moran even notes that Creigh "voted twice to overturn a veto of Governor Kaine" on a particular concealed carry issue.

Heaven Forfend!

Our democracy is based on the independence of the legislative branch from the executive.Legislators don't take orders from the Governor. Weare independentvoices for ourconstituentsand our principles.

Every legislator differs with the Governor on occasion (no matter which party). That's the strength of our system.

It's hardly unique for a Democrat, particularly from a rural area, to support a pro-gun bill. And, yes, Mark Warner signed every last one of them which came to his desk when he was Governor. Tim Kaine had a different tack. It's a big party, folks.

It's time for closing argument. Make your case, fellas. But enoughwith the weak sound-bite attacks at the last second.

Thundar

imported post

Go to your poling place wearing an orange guns save lives button or sticker and open carrying (don't OC if your polling place is a school.)

Hold your nose and vote for Moran or Deeds. If you can't stomach voting for either of those bozos, then write in VCDL Prez Philip Van Cleave.

The big point is to let them see you open carrying and voting.

VAopencarry

imported post

I heard the same attack from McAulliffe on the radio last night. "even after the Governor vetoed it. The ad emphasized that part. Made it sound like the legislator should bow down to the rule of the all mighty Governor.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And don't forget, if you go, to use your CHL as your "government-issued identification".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My polling place is an elementary school so I OCd my empty holster - does that count for something? :D

Yata hey

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I heard the same attack from McAulliffe on the radio last night. "even after the Governor vetoed it. The ad emphasized that part. Made it sound like the legislator should bow down to the rule of the all mighty Governor.
Of course, because His Excellency is BFF with the Chosen One. :lol::lol::lol:

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oh, yeah Terry - who? - OH yeah McAuliffe. Real smart, Terry; attacking gun rights IN VIRGINIA. What a dope.

Deeds had campaign ads running that trumpeted that he (Deeds) "led the fight to close Virginia's gun-show loophole" until someone on his campaign staff saw the kiss of death in that claim and replaced it with arglebargle about his "education based recovery plan."

Seriously, McAuliffe probably helped Deeds erase the memory of the "gun show" gaffe (but I am going to remember it in November). McAuliffe even had his NoVa Campaign HQ in the same King Street rowhouse that Obama had HIS in, which shows who HIS backers are, and look where it got him. McAuliffe's ads even stated he was running an "Obama style campaign". HO ho ho. And on top of everything else, when McAuliffe smiles, he looks as if he just sat on a banana.

And McAuliffe didn't just get defeated, Deeds beat him like a rented mule. And let's not even mention, Bugs Moran's kid brother who I think Bugs sobered up enough to vote for but practically nobody else did.

All of this augurs very well. The Ratz thought they had dyed Virginia blue in permanent ink. Evidently, they were wrong. We'll see come November.

hsmith

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Oh, yeah Terry - who? - OH yeah McAuliffe. Real smart, Terry; attacking gun rights IN VIRGINIA. What a dope.

Deeds had campaign ads running that trumpeted that he (Deeds) "led the fight to close Virginia's gun-show loophole" until someone on his campaign staff saw the kiss of death in that claim and replaced it with arglebargle about his "education based recovery plan."

Seriously, McAuliffe probably helped Deeds erase the memory of the "gun show" gaffe (but I am going to remember it in November). McAuliffe even had his NoVa Campaign HQ in the same King Street rowhouse that Obama had HIS in, which shows who HIS backers are, and look where it got him. McAuliffe's ads even stated he was running an "Obama style campaign". HO ho ho. And on top of everything else, when McAuliffe smiles, he looks as if he just sat on a banana.

And McAuliffe didn't just get defeated, Deeds beat him like a rented mule. And let's not even mention, Bugs Moran's kid brother who I think Bugs sobered up enough to vote for but practically nobody else did.

All of this augurs very well. The Ratz thought they had dyed Virginia blue in permanent ink. Evidently, they were wrong. We'll see come November.
McAuliffe was even eating at Rays Hells Burgers yesterday, how much more of "I want to be Obama" do you need!

tapper95

imported post

I wonder if Deeds will buddy up with the NYC Boy-Billionaire come this fall......

As an aside, does anyone else save their "I Voted" stickers? I've started sticking mine to the inside of my portable handgun safe... That way, every time I open it, I am reminded of the importance of making my voice heard....

AbNo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
My polling place is an elementary school so I OCd my empty holster - does that count for something? :D

Yata hey
It does indeed.

Even better if you get a little sticker on your holster that details that fact.

The Donkey

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I wonder if Deeds will buddy up with the NYC Boy-Billionaire come this fall......
McDonnell has already had two fundraisers with Guiliani, so the New York antis may already be tapped.

Thundar

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
tapper95 wrote:
McDonnell has already had two fundraisers with Guiliani, so the New York antis may already be tapped.

Lets not forget that the Bloomin idiot first ran for NYC mayor as a Republican.

Deeds has made gun owners angry, that is obvious. Do you think he learned anything in the primary?

Question is will he recognize his anti-freedom sins and atone for them, or will he try to demonize McDonnell's hard line pro-freedom stance?

The Donkey

imported post

Thundar wrote:
. . . or will he try to demonize McDonnell's hard line pro-freedom stance?

Remember that this McDonnellis the same guy who helped bring us "One Gun A Month" -- a far greater sin in my book than Deeds' yeomans' work on the "Gun Show Loophole."

The Bradys demonize Deeds for making the loopholeproposal unworkable because his amendment would have allowed transactions in gun show parking lots without background checks.:cry:

We have two candidates in this race who are fairly good on 2A issues, and that the decision needs to rest on their other positions.

Last edited:

tapper95

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Why would Deeds learn anything in the primary? He won, didn't he?

And pretty much in a landslide..... The only thing he might have learned is that McAuliff's (sp) platform is definitley the wrong way to go in VA....

I'm jsut hoping that we don't end up with another Tim Kaine/Jim Webb "Sure I support guns" line of BS....

Show me don't tell me.

Any chance George Allen returns to Richmond or DC?

Thundar

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Remember that this McDonnellis the same guy who helped bring us "One Gun A Month" -- a far greater sin in my book than Deeds' work on the "Gun Show Loophole."

The Bradys demonize Deeds for making the loopholeproposal unworkable because his amendment would have allowed transactions in gun show parking lots without background checks.:cry:

We have two candidates in this race who are fairly good on 2A issues, and that the decision needs to rest on their other positions.
You know donkey, I am a libertarian and in Virginia I don't see much difference between the democrat and republican parties these days.

McDonnell, however, has been one of the staunchest pro 2A politiciansfor as long as I have been in Virginia. The 1 gun a month was bad, but without McDonnell it would have been much worse.

But as I see it, McDonnell may have committed a sin, but his actions in the last 5 years are a sort of atonement. Deeds is a liar who has no problem stabbing gun owners in the back. He has not apologized for his gun sins, he justifies them.

You know donkey you are partisan, but usually bring a reasoned argument, but to equate Deeds and McDonnell as a wash on gun rights is just not believe-able.

The Donkey

imported post

Thundar wrote:
The Donkey wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Remember that this McDonnellis the same guy who helped bring us "One Gun A Month" -- a far greater sin in my book than Deeds' work on the "Gun Show Loophole."

You know donkey, I am a libertarian and in Virginia I don't see much difference between the democrat and republican parties these days.

McDonnell, however, has been one of the staunchest pro 2A politiciansfor as long as I have been in Virginia. The 1 gun a month was bad, but without McDonnell it would have been much worse.

But as I see it, McDonnell may have committed a sin, but his actions in the last 5 years are a sort of atonement. Deeds is a liar who has no problem stabbing gun owners in the back. He has not apologized for his gun sins, he justifies them.

You know donkey you are partisan, but usually bring a reasoned argument, but to equate Deeds and McDonnell as a wash on gun rights is just not believe-able.

Deeds "gun show loophole" amendment is fairly thin soup: See:

http://archive.bluecommonwealth.com/node/1334

It just doesn'tmatter that much compared to a bill that actually restricts how many guns you can buy. Deeds would have exempted CHP holders, antiques, parking lot transactions, and all "non-market" private sales. How burdensome is it really on 2A rights? Isn't this really just a "thin end of the wedge" argument?