• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PATRONIZING BUSINESSES HOSTILE TO OPEN CARRY

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Ironbar wrote:
What the hell is a public business vs. a private business??

I take my clothes to a local cleaners. It is owned and operated by some very nice folks. If those folks said they did not want me to bring my gun in their store, then I would either not bring it in there, or get my clothes cleaned somewhere else. It's their store, and they have the right to set the rules. I for one do not consider it a civil right to carry my weapon in their store if they don't want me to.

I like the way you put this. And it's simple, too.

Some OCers think it is their constitutional right to OC in such a location.

I agree with you, btw. If the owner doesn't want that behavior on his/her property...there are plenty of other places to go. Free country...

B

Bikenut

imported post

I've often thought about this "private property where the public is invited to enter by goods for sale on the premises" as opposed to "private property". Bear with me as I explain the distinction.

My personal opinion... not based in law and actually not confined to the carry of firearms and, being a personal opinion, worth exactly... nothing.

On "private property" where the general public is not invited by goods for sale the property owner should have full authority to determine (invite) who he/she will allow onto that property.

On "private property where the general public is invited by goods for sale on the premises" then that property owner should expect to abide by the rights afforded the general public who enter.... including civil rights. All members of the general public and all rights. To do otherwise smacks of discrimination.

Imagine a person being asked to leave a store for talking about a subject the owner doesn't like? Or being asked to leave because the person is wearing a crucifix?

To my mind... once a property owner invites in the general public then the rights, all of the rights, of the general public should be honored.

By the way... that would also apply to a homeowner who is having a garage sale because the general public has been invited onto the property by goods for sale.

Edited to clarify...

presidentofalaska

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
I've often thought about this "private property where the public is invited to enter by goods for sale on the premises" as opposed to "private property". Bear with me as I explain the distinction.

My personal opinion... not based in law and actually not confined to the carry of firearms and, being a personal opinion, worth exactly... nothing.

On "private property" where the general public is not invited by goods for sale the property owner should have full authority to determine (invite) who he/she will allow onto that property.

On "private property where the general public is invited by goods for sale on the premises" then that property owner should expect to abide by the rights afforded the general public who enter.... including civil rights. All members of the general public and all rights. To do otherwise smacks of discrimination.

Imagine a person being asked to leave a store for talking about a subject the owner doesn't like? Or being asked to leave because the person is wearing a crucifix?

To my mind... once a property owner invites in the general public then the rights, all of the rights, of the general public should be honored.

By the way... that would also apply to a homeowner who is having a garage sale because the general public has been invited onto the property by goods for sale.

Edited to clarify...

+1 I agree with you, I like how you worded all that, very professional. A business shouldn't be able to choose what civil rights are and are not allowed in their store. If I want to go shopping your store while wearing a crucifix, then so be it, it's my God given right, if I want to shop with gun, then so be it, it's still a God given right. I believe the Second Amendment makes this pretty clear.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Bikenut: That is pretty much the way that I feel as well! A business that is 'open to the public' needs to respect the rights of the public! If it is open only by invitation or membership then that is a different story. Easy example: Wal-Mart is "Open to the Public" while Sam's Club requires a membership and is thus 'Private' and subject only to the consensus of its members.

To the OP: I think that you handled the situation very well. While I may choose not to do business with a business that does not want me to carry, upon first encounter we have a duty to be diplomatic and address their concerns as well as educate them if possible. If we all 'return fire' by blatantly expressing that we will 'hurt their bottom line' (no longer do business/tell others not to patronize) then we have then become the bully. 'Kill them with kindness' is most often a more viable road to success!

While I believe that 'open to public' businesses should be respectful of the 'publics' rights, we also must be respectful of everyone's opinions. We do not have to agree, like, or even accede to their opinions, but we must be RESPECTFUL, RESPECTABLE, and POLITE lest we be seen as the 'bullies'.

Statesman

imported post

I would make the polite rebuttal to local business owners, that OC generally does not frighten customers, rather, it is the behavior, hygiene, and dress of the person OCing that communicates the person is not a threat.

I would also ask the owner to consider discreetly (and at a distance) following you around at their store, to gauge the reactions of customers, before making a decision on the matter. I think they will find things are not as bad as it seems.