• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Picnic Feeler

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Just a reminder-

Heritage Park OC Picnic is July 19th in Frankenmuth.

That's why I mentioned it in the opening post.

Really, with all the events planned this summer, and the lack of people willing to organize, I didn't think there was going to be a GR picnic. However, when at the K'zoo event yesterday, there were a few people who expressed interest in a GR gettogether. That's the only reason I brought this up. Otherwise, I just figured we wern't going to have one this year.

We may still not have one if people don't express any interest. I started a thread about W. MI M&G last winter, and so far people have stepped up to organize, but no one has done so for GR. It may just be too soon for GR to have picnics.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Ghost, if you like, I'll post the Grand Rapids OC Picnic in the Events Thread for Sunday, July 19th. After a couple of weeks youcan decide to continue or cancel the event due to lack of interest. Let me know.

ETA: If so, will it be John Ball or Ah-Nab and also what time the picnic will begin.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Ghost, if you like, I'll post the Grand Rapids OC Picnic in the Events Thread for Sunday, July 19th. After a couple of weeks youcan decide to continue or cancel the event due to lack of interest. Let me know.

ETA: If so, will it be John Ball or Ah-Nab and also what time the picnic will begin.
If you feel it's appropriate, but I told everyone that I wouldn't make the final decision until this weekend.

I haven't decided on a park yet.

BlackWater

imported post

long time reader so i thought it was time to join. i can bring tables if we need them. Also hot dogs, buns, chips, dip, pop. any day will work for me. i have wanted to set one up in GR for some time now. looking forword to it!

mooseracing

imported post

Add another person to the list....I would like Grand Rapids Area Police to increase their knowledge of ths, including county officers.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mooseracing wrote:
Add another person to the list....I would like Grand Rapids Area Police to increase their knowledge of ths, including county officers.

Welcome to OCDO Mooseracing and Blackwater.

Mooseracing, please add your location under your screen name. Go to My Account and then to Profile. Also, is there any items youcan contribute for the event?

(See Michigan Events Schedule Thread)

ghostrider

imported post

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So far I'm thinking the 18th, but don't let that stop you from stating a preference. I haven't decided on a park yet. It would be nice to get some place close to downtown so those who are interested can easily walk to see the sites.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

No reason we can't have both picnics. They are on opposite sides of the state. Personally for me it's a lot easier to stay on this side and go to Frankenmuth, but there are probably a number of people who would like to go to something in Grand Rapids too. I think having multiple events on the same day would be great. Lets get both going then if there is any media coverage at these we can plug the other event.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
No reason we can't have both picnics. They are on opposite sides of the state. Personally for me it's a lot easier to stay on this side and go to Frankenmuth, but there are probably a number of people who would like to go to something in Grand Rapids too. I think having multiple events on the same day would be great. Lets get both going then if there is any media coverage at these we can plug the other event.

I agree. The reason I included the reminder is to simply remind the member who plans an event that an existing event is already planned for that day and to alert other members who chose to attend an event that may have decided to attend another event for that day.

IMO, I would put this in the events thread and run with it. If Ghostriderchooses not to head this event then maybe BlackWater can take it.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Generaldet wrote:

I agree. The reason I included the reminder is to simply remind the member who plans an event that an existing event is already planned for that day and to alert other members who chose to attend an event that may have decided to attend another event for that day.

IMO, I would put this in the events thread and run with it. If Ghostriderchooses not to head this event then maybe BlackWater can take it.
If he was willing to do that it would be great!

Doing it on the same day would be an interesting idea as Generaldet points out. We can set a date for the 19th, but we need someone willing to get there early in the day to set things up like tables, and to hold a spot for us to picnic when everyone else arrives.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Generaldet wrote:

If he was willing to do that it would be great!

Doing it on the same day would be an interesting idea as Generaldet points out. We can set a date for the 19th, but we need someone willing to get there early in the day to set things up like tables, and to hold a spot for us to picnic when everyone else arrives.
I agree. Last year we started the picnic around 1:00pm but I arrived around 11:00am to secure tables at John Ball.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I posted the Grand Rapids OC Picnic in the Events Thread for July 19th, starting at 12 noon until ?. Blackwater, do you want to host this event? More then likely, it will either be at John Ball Park or Ah-Nab Awen park.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I posted the Grand Rapids OC Picnic in the Events Thread for July 19th, starting at 12 noon until ?. Blackwater, do you want to host this event? More then likely, it will either be at John Ball Park or Ah-Nab Awen park.
Thanks,

You can put me down as a tentative, and that I'll provide plastic utensils, and hotdogs.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

If it is not to late is there any way we can possibly do this on the 12th. I am supposed to go camping the weekend of the 19th. I just found this out from the wife. Also If we could get some support Blackwater and I will host this event. Please let us know about the 12th.
Also, has anyone here ever done a table at a local gun show to advertise not only the event but the website and the cause? I would be interested in possibly doing something like this at the Grand Rapids Deltaplex Gun show on June 27th and 28th. I would need to know if anyone would be willing to help with that as well. Also if anyone has a OC banner to go behind the table or anything to hand out from the table. Also how big are we aloud to get with this event. We could try to make it as big as possible if that is OK with everyone here. We don't necessarily need everyone there to be carrying but I would like to get as many people to check it out and learn more as possible.

Also you can put me down I will bring Hotdog buns and a Charcoal grill.

ghostrider

imported post

The 12th works for me, and Venator said it also works for him. How is that for everyone else?

That's the main reason I started this thread. To get a feel for everyone's availability.

BTW, I scouted out some of the parks today.

Heartside only has picnic tables in the pavilion, and for us that means paying a fee to reserve the pavilion. Also, that's where all the homeless people (they are about the only foot traffic there) hang out.

Ah-Nab-Awen Park is a halfway decent location, but it only has a smattering of picnic tables, and even then they are only one per site. Not really ideal.

Riverside wouldn't be a bad place, but it isn't walking distance to downtown (no suitable park that I know of is. Of course if someone else comes up with a better idea, that would be great). However, Riverside is the biggest park in Grand Rapids, and there is usually a good amount of foot traffic.

Sailorwatson,
Richmond park might not be all that bad. I've never been there myself. How is it for ammenities? Picnic tables (preferably in large groups for large crowds)? Restrooms? Volume of foot traffic?

Millennium Park is county I believe. That's the reason why I'm trying to find a place other than John Ball (last years location). We're really trying to find a place in GR.