Thread: Child cares should be 'no carry' zones

Post imported post

Anyone else notice this in the editorials on JSOnline:

-I am the pastor of a church that houses a preschool five days a week, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. I was very surprised to find out recently that it is legal for someone to carry a properly registered firearm onto the property and into the church/preschool building. A letter from my local police department told us we need to post "No Firearms on Premises" signs if we don't want anyone to carry a firearm on our 4.2-acre property.-

It doesn't specifically say it was the Milwaukee Police Department but no matter what city it was, I read this as a government agency taking a proactive approach at trying to convince (at least some) private establishments to post signs prohibiting legal open carry.

If I'm correct in that interpretation, that's pretty underhanded, and not how I want my police department to behave.

Post imported post

"Properly registered firearm"? What kind of news report did he read?

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

The Childcare rules were just recently overhauled by the Department of Children and Families.

If you read the document, you will notice they reduce the age to "over seven (7)" who can use firearms.

Post imported post

If child care places were to be added to the "no carry" 1000 foot zones, we would only have about 10% of the city of Milwaukee...

Post imported post

Unfortunately, Utah law says that child care facilities are no carry zones, along with almost any other place where you could receive an education. :X

This has effectivelymade most of the Salt Lake Valley a no-go without a permit. We are working to fix this.

76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
    (1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
    (i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
    (ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
    (iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
    (iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
    (v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Banned

Post imported post

Utah sucks!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

At least Utah lets you carry concealed into those places... yes it does suck because you have to apply for permit in order to exercise your right, but at least you have an option, in WI you can't go near a school regardless.

Post imported post

gbu28 wrote:
    Anyone else notice this in the editorials on JSOnline:

-I am the pastor of a church that houses a preschool five days a week, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. I was very surprised to find out recently that it is legal for someone to carry a properly registered firearm onto the property and into the church/preschool building. A letter from my local police department told us we need to post "No Firearms on Premises" signs if we don't want anyone to carry a firearm on our 4.2-acre property.-

It doesn't specifically say it was the Milwaukee Police Department but no matter what city it was, I read this as a government agency taking a proactive approach at trying to convince (at least some) private establishments to post signs prohibiting legal open carry.

If I'm correct in that interpretation, that's pretty underhanded, and not how I want my police department to behave.
    That's a leap. It would be better to find out:

a) what the good pastor asked, specifically, and

b) who he asked, and

c) what was actually said by the askee.

You don't have enough to go on to make support your conculsion, seems to me.

Banned

Post imported post

With the rate of toddler and infant deaths that have occurred at Day Cares in Milwaukee I think they need to worry about their workers more than they need to worry about fire arms.

Just food for thought, which would be more Humane? Some one dying from a gun shot wound or someone baking in the interior of a vehicle which has all of the windows closed and is parked directly in the sun on a 90 degree day?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Utah: The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the legislature from defining the lawful use of arms. Art. I, ยง 6 (enacted 1984).