• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GW Parkway OC?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
If I were a Maryland State Trooper, interested in crushing the little people who have the audacity to think they can protect themselves with a gun, here's how I'd interpret the law:

You ain't left the state yet, so it ain't interstate travel. Hence, Maryland law applies. You're not going to one of the allowed places to travel with a handgun, so I get to put you in cuffs, impound your vehicle and all the other stuff that makes my job so much fun.

Man, I'm so glad I don't live in Maryland any more!

~ Boyd
Where does it say the gun range has to be in Maryland. I was born and raised in Maryland, lived there untill I retired in 2002. While in Maryland keep unloaded and in the trunk. While Maryland's gun laws are bad as far as SD and CCW they are now the Peoples Republic of New York or Jersey.:banghead:

TexasNative

imported post

It sure doesn't say the range has to be in Maryland. I have no doubt that, with a little forethought and careful planning, one could lie to LEOs/judges/juries and give them enough doubt to send you on your way.

On the other hand, if someone chooses to pursue that route, they have to always be on top of their game. A slip-up at the wrong time could send them up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so glad I live in Virginia. While there are a few times when I'm required to disarm, they are thankfully very few, and I can follow the law and still be prepared to defend myself and family. I'm not put into the position that folks in Maryland are.

~ Boyd

virginiatuck

imported post

swinokur wrote:
I think I could make the case that even if I was not doing one of the few things MD allows, the fact that the handgun was in a locked case may convince a judge that my intent was to travel Interstate. MD law only requires that when doing an activity like travel to a range or gun store that the handgun be unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster. The fact that I put it in a locked case and am headed towards VA may be enough to prove my case. But I guess I need to decide how aggressive the MSP may be if I'm stopped going across the Legion bridge with an unloaded weapon in a locked case.

Stu
Snips from MD 4-203:
(b)This section does not prohibit:
(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

See also:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/25158.html

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
It sure doesn't say the range has to be in Maryland. I have no doubt that, with a little forethought and careful planning, one could lie to LEOs/judges/juries and give them enough doubt to send you on your way.

On the other hand, if someone chooses to pursue that route, they have to always be on top of their game. A slip-up at the wrong time could send them up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so glad I live in Virginia. While there are a few times when I'm required to disarm, they are thankfully very few, and I can follow the law and still be prepared to defend myself and family. I'm not put into the position that folks in Maryland are.

~ Boyd

I have no intention of everlying to a judge or an LEO. All I am saying is I think I can prove my case to a judge/LEO if I am stopped for driving into VA with my unloaded handgun in a locked case as per federal interstate gun transportation law.

virginiatuck

imported post

swinokur wrote:
I have no intention of everlying to a judge or an LEO. All I am saying is I think I can prove my case to a judge/LEO if I am stopped for driving into VA with my unloaded handgun in a locked case as per federal interstate gun transportation law.
If you exercise your right to remain silent from the moment you are detained then you should be fine.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer. You should ask an attorney what he recommends that you do.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Even after the NPS ban is lifted Columbia Island on the GW Parkway is a problem. Columbia Island is in Washington, DC., Not VA. and therefore a no carry zone.

:banghead::cuss:

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Even after the NPS ban is lifted Columbia Island on the GW Parkway is a problem. Columbia Island is in Washington, DC., Not VA. and therefore a no carry zone.

:banghead::cuss:
Excellent point. I get off the Parkway at Memorial Bridge and go towards Arlington Cemetery and then onto RT 110 by the Pentagon to go into Arlington, thus avoiding DC and it's ridiculous gun laws. But you make an excellent point I need to remember as I go into Old Town on occasion.Guess it's RT 1 for me.

Thanks.

eyesopened

imported post

swinokur wrote:
This is very informative. I have an SUV with no lockable compartment. That is why I am buying a small vehicle safe to comply with Federal law. I am not going to drive on the GW with a handgun until the new law becomes effective in February under any circumstances.

Thanks for the info on the non resident CCW.

Stu
I have one of these and they work great for storing your firearm: http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm