• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mr. Deeds Fights Back

Repeater

imported post

Deeds is sounding desperate:

Deeds Fights Back

Here's how we can tell we're in the midst of the final days of a hard-fought race: The attacks are coming fast and furious. It's hard to even keep up.

Each of the three Democrats running for governor -- Creigh Deeds, Terry McAuliffe and Brian Moran -- are accusing each other of unfair attacks daily. Forget daily. Try every few hours.

Most of the attacks have been aimed at Deeds, who recent polls show surging ahead of his rivals, and his lengthy record of support for gun rights.

McAuliffe sent out a mailer that poses the question: "Which of the Democratic candidates supports concealed weapons in bars?" And Moran has been hammering Deeds in his own campaign mailer as well as in radio interviews.

Now, Deeds is fighting back.

In a recorded call paid for by Deeds' campaign, a femaler caller says McAuliffe and Moran are "lying about Creigh Deeds' voting record."

"The truth is Deeds has the same position on gun control as Mark Warner and Jim Webb,'' she says. "So please join Creigh Deeds' positive campaign of change. Let's send Brian Moran and Terry McAuliffe a message.''

In talking about guns, Deeds often says he shares the same views as U.S. Sens. Webb and Warner -- both moderate Democrats who succeeded in Virginia's most recent statewide elections.

So where does Deeds stand on guns?

Over his long legislative record, Deeds has consistently received A ratings from the National Rifle Association. He secured the group's endorsement in 2005 for state attorney general -- a rarity for a Democrat -- after he proposed a constitutional amendment to guarantee Virginians the right to hunt.

Deeds opposed bans on buying more than one handgun a month and carrying firearms in bars. But as governor, Warner said he supported both proposals.

In addition, Deeds also voted to stop localities from enforcing more restrictive gun requirements than the state, including banning guns at community centers and parks, to limit government lawsuits against gun manufacturers and to deny judges the ability to reject gun permits from certain criminals.

But Deeds has changed some views in recent years.

Deeds had voted repeatedly against closing the so-called gunshow loophole that allows some private vendors at gun shows to make sales without background checks. But after the mass shooting at Virginia Tech in April 2007 Deeds said he changed hid mind.

For two years in a row, he proposed amendments that weakened the bill to close the loophole in an attempt to secure more votes and get the bill get out of committee. His strategy worked this year but the full Senate later killed the bill.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the long run I think it's a mistake for Deeds to vacillate on the issue. His opponents don't have to lie about his record, and it hasn't hurt him in the polls. Where is the evidence that Virginians want more gun laws?

wylde007

imported post

In order to be a "restaurant" 20% of their gross sales must be from food. It is why so many "bars" (restaurants) in Virginia have daily lunch specials. They make their food-sale takes from lunch and early-bird menus and then stack the rest in booze and brews.

I think there is a separate classification for "nightclubs" but they also pay a higher premium to the ABC man.

I have no cite, this is all gleaned from conversations with restaurant and nightclub owners I've known over the years.

hsmith

imported post

Either Deeds is a moron or a liar.

He either is an idiot because he is ignorant to the fact there are no bars in Virginia, or he is a liar that claims that there are bars in Virginia, even though he knows better.

Which is worse? A moron or a liar? Pretty obvious Kaine is a moron, so that explains his vetos.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I organized an OC dinner once where the intended location was a Tex-Mex place that used to be a "family restaurant" and has in recent years become a self-described "Tequila bar". Long story short we had to go to Glory Days next door because "You can't have guns in a bar!" (according to the manager).

I guess my point is just that, most Virginians are not aware that there are "no bars" in Virginia.

I myself might argue that there being "no bars" in Virginia is a legal technicality. I've been to bars in several countries, and it's very common for an establishment to serve food and yet still be considered a "bar". Like here in the city of SF, for example.

In common parlance, the "bar" is merely the area where liquor is served, so most restaurants indeed have a bar, even if they "are" not a bar.

I wonder, is the distinction really so relevant at a place where the owners themselves consider it and run it as a "bar", simply because they comply with arbitrary ABC restrictions?

Either way, I agree it reeks of political expediency for Deeds to do anything other than come out reiterating his stance and defending his former positions. However, what do you expect from a politician? This is par for the course, for politicians of all stripes.

When Barack Obama claimed "I support the second amendment", he was roundly criticized for his past record (which wasn't exactly very well-developed one way or another) and accused of saying whatever it took to get him elected.

Just think, right now some Brady Bunch airhead is criticizing Deeds for his record, making the argument that whatever he says now about gun control is irrelevant in consideration of his consistent (they would argue) record supporting the 2nd Amendment. :p

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What it really comes down to is why is the government in the alcohol business any way!!! It almost seems that it would be easier to take the government out of alcohol than change how they do business.