• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing a Handgun

Hangman

imported post

Does anyone know where the law states, or what it states about the amount of firearms (handguns) you can purchase within a 30 day period ??

I had heard you could only purchase (2) handguns in any given 30 days, but I'm not positive about this. Does the same limit apply to rifles &/or shotguns ??

Another question, ... looking at the 2nd amendment, "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

Would this kind of limit on the purchasing a quantity of firearms be considered infringing upon the rights to keep and bear arms ??

Thanks.

rpyne

imported post

There is absolutely nothing in Utah law that limits the number or firearms you can purchase over any amount of time.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When you buy guns through a private party sale (is ksl.com) nobody knows you even bought the gun, so buy as many as you need.

If you are buying them from dealers, there is no limit, but some people have said they get harassed by the BATFE after buying multiple guns in a short period of time. There was a thread not to long ago about this... I'll have to look it up. But just like rpyne said, there is still no limit.

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

I believe if you purchase more than one handgun within a five-day period, the dealer is required to submit a 'multiple handgun purchase' form to the ATF with information about you and the guns you bought.You wouldn't have done anything illegal, but mightget a visit from the ATF making sure you're not a straw purchaser.Not sure what happens if you buy one handgun at each dealer, but purchase from multiple dealers within a five-day period. IANAL.