• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry movement disturbs the anti-gun publication "The Gun Guys"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.gunguys.com/?p=3421

SNIP

June 8, 2009

Gun Lobby Accelerates Crusade to Normalize Abnormal Behavior By Openly Carrying Handguns

handgun_holster_OH_400W_AP.jpg

Open Carry at Picnics, in Parks and in Churches Being Encouraged

Across the country, gun proponents are continuing to ramp up their efforts to normalize abnormal behavior by encouraging citizens to openly carry loaded firearms.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Mike wrote:

SNIP

June 8, 2009

Gun Lobby Accelerates Crusade to Normalize Abnormal Behavior By Openly Carrying Handguns

handgun_holster_OH_400W_AP.jpg

Open Carry at Picnics, in Parks and in Churches Being Encouraged

Across the country, gun proponents are continuing to ramp up their efforts to normalize abnormal behavior by encouraging citizens to openly carry loaded firearms.
If they said the same thing about gay people that they are saying about gun owners they would have been pushed out of the lexicon of public discourse years ago. "Can't let people normalize abnormal behavior like blacks dating whites or letting gay couples hold hands in public".

Screw these people. They're losing, and in the next 3-5 years the "Gun Guys" will be viewed as not much different than the Council of Conservative Citizens, once we get gun carry legal in all 50 states, plus shall-issue nationwide.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Y'know.....the gun wimps...er guys really are useful idiots. They do give out info about open carry legality a lot of people wouldn't bother to know.

The Brady Bunch...The Gun Guys.....Useful Idiots for sure.

chiefjason

imported post

"Unless American's wake up to this crisis and demand that guns laws effectively address the inherent dangers associated with criminals carrying guns in public places, the seemingly far-fetched examples of every day outings turned into repeated encounters with armedcriminals will become all to real. "

Yeah, gun guys that bugged me at first. Fixed it for you. Much better now.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Unless American's wake up to this crisis and demand that guns laws effectively address the inherent dangers associated with carrying guns in public places, the seemingly far-fetched examples of every day outings turned into repeated encounters with armed citizens will become all to real.
QFT Yeah, this bugs me too, and without misquoting the idiots.

JohnK87

imported post

"The real world implications of the open carry crusade is chilling. Consider:
  • Sipping hot chocolate with your toddler at Starbucks while a fellow patron openly displays a gun at the table next to you;
  • Attending a church service with your entire family knowing that the fellow parishioner sitting next to you has a handgun tucked in his belt; or
  • Boarding a crowded bus with your newborn child with upwards of 5 other passengers openly carrying weapons."
Yeah, like that may not already be the case. Do these people realize the gun doesn't just jump out of the holster and start firing on its own? It's the gang banger with the Mexican carry that you need to worry about, not some 40 year old guy with an expensive pistol in an OWB holster.

We need a good tag line. "We're here, we're packing, go back to your snacking!"

or "More Sheepdogs, Fewer Wolves"

Legba

imported post

Yes, it is chilling. My piece and I are chillin' anyway...

-ljp

Beau

imported post

After all, allowing a small group of armed gun owners -- versus trained law enforcement officers -- to make potentially life and death decisions about public safety in restaurants, churches, theaters and parks is a frightening prospect
A small group? OC'ers may be a small group. The number of people who carry CC is larger. So are they anti carry or just anti OC? I guess the old saying "out of sight , out of mind" applies here.

And why is it so frightening for non LE to make a decision regarding the saving of lives? LE can not be everywhere. As most of us know they have no legal duty to protect the individual.

I don't really understand the fuss anti groups are kicking up about OC. Personally I like to know who around me is armed.

Legba

imported post

The unarmed are implicitly trusting criminals in making potential life-and-death decisions about public safety -in their favor, of course.

I'm reminded of amafia saying - you can only be betrayed by those you trust.

-ljp

squisher

imported post

That site is a mouthpiece for idiocy, I've come across them every now and then. The thing that bugs me the most is how they try to portray themselves ("Gun Guys" sounds more like a blog where they talk about how awesome guns are -- I did not expect a site written by gun-shy hippies).

Deja-Vu for me, as I seem to recall them running anti-open carry content before (but can't find it, down the memory hole already?)

They need to cut down on the caffeine or something. Their whole "tone" is that of righteous indignant anger -- and I agree with them on this: I wouldn't trust someone in that state of mind with a loaded weapon either. (Maybe that's the whole problem with anti-gunners, they don't have enough control over their emotions to trust themselves with weapons -- and moreover can't see how anyone else can, leading to them believing that no-one should have weapons).

EDIT:

Also notice that they do not allow commenting on their posts...
Afraid of the truth much? (check their anti-.50 caliber posts for more :banghead:)

Legba

imported post

In one of their tirades about the intrinsically evil .50-cals, they compare the .50 BMG round to the (presumably benign) .30-06 "standard hunting" round - which, IIRC, began life as a military round, and in any case has been used in both world wars to kill far more people that the .50-cal has. I'm disappointed the military dropped it, in fact.

Is it me or do these objects not have intrinsic moral value? Seems to me that the ends to which these things are used may be good or bad, and that the motivation of the agent using it determines this. Can't be. They're necessarily sinister - the"gun guys" said so.

-ljp

Deanimator

imported post

Legba wrote:
Is it me or do these objects not have intrinsic moral value? Seems to me that the ends to which these things are used may be good or bad, and that the motivation of the agent using it determines this. Can't be. They're necessarily sinister - the"gun guys" said so.

-ljp
When I run into imbeciles like that where I can interact with them, I usually ask them, "Do you worship rocks and trees?"

When they get flustered and claim they don't, I then say, "Well, since you seem to think that pieces of steel, wood and plastic have morality, I just figured you were some kind of primitive animist who worships inanimate objects."

sraacke

imported post

squisher wrote:
(Maybe that's the whole problem with anti-gunners, they don't have enough control over their emotions to trust themselves with weapons -- and moreover can't see how anyone else can, leading to them believing that no-one should have weapons).
WAIT!!! That right there...What you just said...is somethig I've heard quite a bit. I have had many coworkers, neighbors, etc.. say that they can't trust themselves, that they would likely shoot someone for simply yelling at them or cutting them off in traffic. So because they can't trust themselves to be responsible with a firearm they don't believe that you can control yourself. THAT is waht we are up against.

n16ht5

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I wish he had a feedback section.  My reply would be simple - how would it feel to be sitting in Starbucks sipping your coffee or riding the bus with your family and know that there may be no less the 5 or 6 gang bangers or criminals hiding their guns and knowing that you can do absolutely nothing to defend yourself or your family.

+10000

TFred

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I wish he had a feedback section. My reply would be simple - how would it feel to be sitting in Starbucks sipping your coffee or riding the bus with your family and know that there may be no less the 5 or 6 gang bangers or criminals hiding their guns and knowing that you can do absolutely nothing to defend yourself or your family.
Such a comment would fall on deaf ears... remember the anti-gunners live in fantasy land... if they don't see it, it doesn't exist.

TFred

suntzu

imported post

here are some quotes from that "article"...

"It's time we turned back the clock on this deadly trend before America's children are sitting in school with armed teachers and the gun lobby's abnormal behavior becomes the new norm."

What would be wrong with having armed teachers in class rooms? If arming teachers will help prevent another Columbine by giving the teachers a chance to stop an active shooter without having to wait on LEOs...considering the shooting is usually all over before LEOs can even mobilize on scene.....

Personally I would like to see every state in the country, as well as the US territories and possessions enact total reciprocity, as well as legalize campus carry across the board...the Brady bunch and the rest of their liberal friends would all have a cow--and not a minor cow over that...

"After all, allowing a small group of armed gun owners -- versus trained law enforcement officers -- to make potentially life and death decisions about public safety in restaurants, churches, theaters and parks is a frightening prospect."

I'll take the armed citizens any day of the week over LEOs and twice on Sunday thank you...I feel safer amongst the public than I do law enforcement anyway...never trust your safety to anyone--ANYONE who does not have a direct stake in whether you go home tonight...

"Next time you take your child on an outing with you, think about how many people within earshot may soon be openly carrying a gun as you wait in line at the aquarium, shop at the local grocery store, or sit in a theater watching a movie."

people are entitled to protect themselves--or not, as they see fit. Violent crime happens at the movies, in grocery stores, and at the aquarium as well as in a darkened alley...

There are SO MANY things wrong with that website that it would take more time than I am willing to devote to point it all out to them....

I say this though--they must have taken a "stupid pill" just before they wrote that worthless website. If they choose to cower in a corner that is their right--but they should not expect anyone else to.

6L6GC

imported post

"the Gun Guys" deal is a front group for the "Freedom States Alliance". Check the icon at the bottom of their page which says so. Then just for fun, check out the Freedom States Alliance webpage for some REAL stupid horse apples.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

squisher wrote:
That site is a mouthpiece for idiocy, I've come across them every now and then. The thing that bugs me the most is how they try to portray themselves ("Gun Guys" sounds more like a blog where they talk about how awesome guns are -- I did not expect a site written by gun-shy hippies).
Agreed, talk about false advertising. Every "Gun Guys" piece I have read is anti gun. And they have apparently never met an anti gun law they didn't love, unless it wasn't anti-gun enough.

Calling themselves the "Gun Guys" is sort of like if the Temperance movement had decided to call themselves the "Liquor folks" or PETA "The Hamburger People". :celebrate