• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Lawsuit & Community Service

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After consulting with an attorney regarding the unlawful Clark County, Boulder City, Henderson, Las Vegas and North Las Vegas municipal codes, his strong suggestion is that we form a non-profit corporation and do all of our community service under that banner. As a formal organization, rather than a group of friends, we have lobbying weight with the local and state authorities, and increase our chances of success both in public relations as well as in court.

I'm willing to pay the filing fee and incorporate a non profit here in Nevada for this purpose. Anyone have suggestions for names? Something that will get us the "sympathy" factor in the press and in court.

Ideas...

Society to Protect Children and Families
Nevada Citizens Defense League (I sort of stole this, there is a AZ CDL and a VA CDL)
Equal Rights for All Americans
The legal strategy we've formulated is pretty sound but we need to move quick to supersede any attempts by the county to maneuver a stay and/or an unfavorable opinion from the NV Attorney General. I'd like to try to raise approximately $5,000. This will cover half the legal fees up to and including trial, short of a Supreme Court appeal. I will cover the other half, through a donation to the non profit corporation, which will be the plaintiff. I'm asking the NRA to donate. It'd be nice if I could get $2500 from them. That would leave you guys to help out with $50-$100 each if possible. 50 people with $50 or 25 people with $100 and we're off to the races.

Don't pledge now, once we settle on a name and incorporate, I'll setup a web page to solicit donations and settle on the exact amount needed.

I'd be happy to discuss the strategy with any established forum members via private message or telephone but do not want to discuss legal strategy in an open forum for obvious reasons.

Tim

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

Citizen Defense Foundation

Also I am in the process of researching federal grants for our nonprofit motorcycle rights ORG. I will see if I can find anything for our cause here as well.

CowboyKen

imported post

Tim,

Just FYI it takes about six months to get 501(c)(3) status through the IRS. I know as I formed one some years ago (we do horse rescue). Good luck with this, please post when you get IRS approval and I will send money.

Ken

varminter22

imported post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any REQUIREMENT to become a federal 501(c)x.

One could simply form a Nevada non-profit corporation; see NRS Chapters 81 and/or 82.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NV CDL is growing on me too.

As for not pushing for changes to law, I'm not sure I understand. Non profits push their agendas all the time!

As for what we're doing

1) What you are doing
Defending the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the US Constitution and the Nevada Constitution

2) Who it benefits
All Americans

3) When it benefits
Every day

Pace

imported post

My apologies, you can be a non-profit, but you can not engage in political activity if you want to be tax-exempt.

Nevada is a pretty decent state, but many states would reject that purpose for a non-profit, and an examiner in Nevada MIGHT.

By a purpose means a specific purpose on what you are doing and how. For example

- An organization that will promote the gun rights through education, etc...
- How? By handing out fliers, organizating this... etc..

Some states reject up to 90% of all applications stating there is not enough specific purpose and explanation of how its going to be done.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting, great feedback, sounds like you have a lot of experience with this. It's my "first time" so I'm obviously still trying to figure it out.

Ideally, a non-profit already exists that would like to take this on, but if not, NV CDL is a great idea. Fred, one of the 4 founders of the AZ CDL, pledged his support with sample bylaws, etc.

wrightme

imported post

Pace wrote:
My apologies, you can be a non-profit, but you can not engage in political activity if you want to be tax-exempt.

Nevada is a pretty decent state, but many states would reject that purpose for a non-profit, and an examiner in Nevada MIGHT.

By a purpose means a specific purpose on what you are doing and how. For example

- An organization that will promote the gun rights through education, etc...
- How? By handing out fliers, organizating this... etc..

Some states reject up to 90% of all applications stating there is not enough specific purpose and explanation of how its going to be done.
As an NPO, you CAN engage in political activity, AND retain the tax exempt status. You are limited only to not endorsing candidates for political office. Laws are ok to work for or against.

IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

BUT, I do know where to look: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rr2007-41.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=163395,00.html

Loneviking

imported post

Congrats! It's great to see this up and running under the NV CDL banner. That way, those of us in the north can hope to join in. We've been needing a state organization for some time, there just hasn't been anybody to spearhead the effort. Are you still needing funds to get things going?

Pace

imported post

As for a purpose, why not just a community organization that will meet to clean up graphitti, go shooting, etc... ie, a club.

send me an email, and i'll help you with the paperwork, the board, and some contacts at the police departments who will help you. most police officers are 100% supportive of civil rights.

Pace
http://www.libertypace.com

CowboyKen

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any REQUIREMENT to become a federal 501(c)x.

One could simply form a Nevada non-profit corporation; see NRS Chapters 81 and/or 82.

If you do not establish your 501(c)(3) status with the IRS the organization you form will not be exempt from taxation itself and donations to that organization will not be deductable on form 1040 schd A (or on corporate returns). Also many agencies that issue grants will not support any organization that does not have this status.

You will also lack credibility with many people.

Ken

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bobernet wrote:
Thanks for your efforts, Tim. Please let us know where you need assistance - time, $$, etc.

Bob
Not much effort so far :) Just needed to get the seed planted to feel better about it.

Per Ken's information above, it would probably be best to wait until we have established under 501(c)(3) before soliciting donations.

Ken, it sounds like you know this part of the business pretty well, how should we proceed in order to get this done right?

CowboyKen

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Ken, it sounds like you know this part of the business pretty well, how should we proceed in order to get this done right?

Tim,

While I did this myself, with some help from a friend who was a Sr. tax partner at a BIG accounting firm, completing form 1023 can be onerous. I recommend that you find a local lawyer or accountant who does this and find out what it will cost.

You might also want to look here: http://managementhelp.org/tax/np_tax.htm

And here: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0%2C%2Cid%3D96590%2C00.html

Among many other sources (google is your friend).

Ken