• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uncased firearms in vehicle Bill debated in Wisconsin

smithman

imported post

gbu28 wrote:
I let my ACLU membership expire a few months ago after I read their position on the 2nd amendment-

http://www.aclu.org/crimjustice/gen/35904res20020304.html
It's because the ACLU is a tool of the left. Don't get me wrong, they understand and want people to exercise their rights (except for the second amendment). But interpreting the second amendment as a collective right is just so stupid it's laughable. The founding fathers didn't write the BOR to protect so called "collective rights".

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smithman wrote:
gbu28 wrote:
I let my ACLU membership expire a few months ago after I read their position on the 2nd amendment-

http://www.aclu.org/crimjustice/gen/35904res20020304.html
It's because the ACLU is a tool of the left. Don't get me wrong, they understand and want people to exercise their rights (except for the second amendment). But interpreting the second amendment as a collective right is just so stupid it's laughable. The founding fathers didn't write the BOR to protect so called "collective rights".
Let them know your feelings..... organizations, out of the need to survive, must reflect their members viewpoints. Thats why the election of blue dog democrats is so important in protecting 2nd Amendment rights. I bet if 18,000 members of a pro-gun organization joined the ACLU, they would decide toagree with the SCUS. :dude:

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BJA:

The case Mike refers to where a person was convicted for carrying a concealed weapon because the gun was in a locked glove compartment is State v. Fry. I agree with Mike that the Wisconsin Supreme Court would likely find a firearm locked in a rack concealed, if the firearm is within reach. It could possibly avoid the SSCruling being that it more than likely would be very visiblebut then it would be in violation of s167.31(2)(b).

The "or locked in rack attached to the vehicle "phrase is probably an argument against the constitutionality or the enforceabilty of the school zone statute or of 167.31. That is unless the SSC would rule that to avoid a problem the rack had to be attached to the vehicle out of arms reach which of course would make the typical pickup truck real window mounts illegal and would still require the firearm to be encased even if locked in the rack in order to avoid the reach of 167.31.

It is absolutely impossible to second guess how the Wisconsin Supreme Court will rule on any firearm issue. Judged by other SSC rulings it is my opinon that the WSSC is only too happy to let Wisconsin exist as a "police state".

There is no question that there is an enforcement conflict between the school zone statute, the vehicle carry statute and the concealed carry prohibition statute. The SSC keeps "spinning" around the solution.

smithman

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Decker argues that 16 other states have laws that are similar to his bill, and theirs have been successful, "They have not had any increase in accidents or poaching so it just makes sense to give the sportsmen, the law abiding citizens a break."
The sheriff is also concerned that if the bill passes.. people will be more tempted to shoot guns off from cars or roads.. which is illegal.
And the bill applies to all guns, not just hunting rifles.
This is funny. If I read it right, the bill does not allow loaded guns, so how could one shoot one from their car, Mr. Sheriff?

You know that people will use the poaching argument as a way to attack the bill. "large numbers of law-abiding hunters will become poachers if this bill is passed" they will probably say. Surely the current vehicle laws keep all poachers from hunting from their vehicles. Since they care so much about laws it seems.

smooth

Opt-Out Members
imported post

WOW......all I can say about Wisconsin and it's draconian laws.

WOW

Mr.arker

imported post

No way I would support the ACLU because of their continuing support for terrorist rights. Those zibs already think were weaklings because we don't kill them.

Are law enforcement officers in states like Vermont and Arizona intimidated by citizens who carry openly or concealed?
I don't think so.
What is wrong with these Wisconsin sheriffs and chiefs (we used to call them suits) who can't bring themselves to support the constitution? Why can't we be "trusted" with open or concealed carry without a fight.
What makes us so different from the citizens of Minnesota and Michigan?

This is one of the biggest nanny states in the union!

No1

Banned
imported post

Mr.Parker wrote:
What makes us so different from the citizens of Minnesota and Michigan? This is one of the biggest nanny states in the union!
concentraton of power in madistan's ivory towers

Elysium

imported post

Mike wrote:
Elysium wrote:
This is a win for our cause. This not only applys to rifles, but bows and handguns. Imagine not having to case and uncase your weapon. You could just leave it in the holster and pull the clip.
Huh?? Not till you repeal the concealed carry jurisprudance by statute or appeallate review - any gun (even long gun) inside a vehicle compartmewnt within reach of any human, including encased and unloaded or locked in a glove box or laying in plain sight on the seat IS CONCEALED UNLAWFULLY in Wisconsin - have you all reead the annotations in the concealed carry statute published with the code section?

Sorry to rant here folks but come on, why do Wisconsin folks continue to have no idea about Wisconsin's gun laws?

Until gun owners understand how draconian the statutes and jurisprudance is re concealed carry, things are not going to change!
Mike I hope your are not trying to say that I dont know the law here. Many Wisconsinites do notknow the gun laws here. Encased and unloaded does not make it concealed. an uncased, unloaded gun in the glove box would be concealed even though it is unloaded. basicly you need to have it unloadedin a case designed for a gun. Putting it in a crown royal bag unloaded is concealed. Putting it in a zippered gun case unloaded is legal. It is a very "grey" law. When I drive my truck, I put my gun in a gun case unloaded under or behindthe seat. If I cop pulls me over what is he going to tell me to do, put in in the open cargo box where it can fall out and land on the street for a kid to pickup? How else are you to transport a firearm?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Elysium wrote:
Mike wrote:
Mike I hope your are not trying to say that I dont know the law here. Many Wisconsinites do notknow the gun laws here. Encased and unloaded does not make it concealed. an uncased, unloaded gun in the glove box would be concealed even though it is unloaded. basicly you need to have it unloadedin a case designed for a gun. Putting it in a crown royal bag unloaded is concealed. Putting it in a zippered gun case unloaded is legal. It is a very "grey" law. When I drive my truck, I put my gun in a gun case unloaded under or behindthe seat. If I cop pulls me over what is he going to tell me to do, put in in the open cargo box where it can fall out and land on the street for a kid to pickup? How else are you to transport a firearm?

Um, no, you are breaking the law by following the urban myth or as the appeal court calls it, making a "false assertion":

--

State v. Alloy,616 N.W.2d 525 (Wis. App. 2000).

Court of Appeals of Wisconsin.
STATE of Wisconsin, Plaintiff-Respondent,
v.
Nick ALLOY, Defendant-Appellant.

No. 99-2258-CR.

April 4, 2000.

Appeal from a judgment of the circuit court for Brown County, Peter J. Naze, Judge. Affirmed.

Before CANE, C.J., HOOVER, P.J., and PETERSON, J.

PER CURIAM.FN1FN2

FN1. The jury acquitted Alloy on charges of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and first-degree reckless endangerment, but convicted him of false imprisonment, misdemeanor battery and two counts of carrying a concealed weapon. This appeal only challenges the conviction for carrying the concealed handgun.
FN2. All references to the Wisconsin Statutes are to the 1997-98 version unless otherwise noted.
*1 Nick Alloy appeals a judgment convicting him of carrying a concealed weapon, a handgun contained in a zipper case inside a metal box between the bucket seats of his Jeep Wagoneer.FN1 He argues that the trial court erred and denied him his constitutional right to testify in his own defense when it disallowed questions designed to show that the handgun was encased because Wis. Stat. § 167.31(2) (1997-98) FN2 requires that a firearm be encased when it is transported in a vehicle. Because complying with § 167.31 does not provide a defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon, the trial court properly disallowed this irrelevant testimony.

¶ 2 Alloy's trial counsel asked him three questions that the trial court disallowed: whether he thought it was “acceptable conduct” to carry the pistol as he did in his car; whether he thought he was doing anything wrong; and whether he intended to arm himself by having that gun. Counsel explained to the court that she was attempting to present evidence that Alloy was merely following Wis. Stat. § 167.31 when he encased the handgun. The trial court correctly ruled that Alloy's state of mind was irrelevant. See State v. Dundon, 226 Wis.2d 654, 664, 594 N.W.2d 780 (1999). Wisconsin Stat. § 941.23 provides “any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.” While the State must show that the alloy was aware of the presence of the weapon, his motive for carrying or concealing it is not relevant.

¶ 3 Much of Alloy's argument is based on the false assertion that he was trapped by a conflict between Wis. Stat. § 167.31 and Wis. Stat. § 941.23. A person transporting a firearm is governed by both statutes. To comply with § 167.31, the person must encase the weapon. To comply with § 941.23, he or she must place the enclosed weapon out of reach. See State v. Asfoor, 75 Wis.2d 411, 433-34, 249 N.W.2d 529 (1977). A person complying with § 167.31 is not required to violate § 941.23. The encased weapon can be lawfully transported out of reach.FN3 The trial court properly disallowed testimony in support of the invalid defense that § 167.31 compelled Alloy to “go armed” with a concealed handgun. See Dundon, 226 Wis.2d at 674, 594 N.W.2d 780.

By the Court.-Judgment affirmed.

This opinion will not be published. See Wis. Stat. Rule 809.23(1)(b) 5.

FN3. While complying with Wis. Stat. § 167.31 might provide a defense to a person who possessed a concealed weapon immediately after it was encased for purposes of transporting it, those facts are not present here. We do not address hypothetical arguments.

AaronS

imported post

Its because of this kind of thing, that I put mine in a gun box, and lock it to the rear seat of my truck. I guess I could touch the box from my seat, but with the lock on it, there is no way at all that I couldbrandish it, load it, and use it, with out getting out to unlock it... Overkill? Hey, what can I say? Cops scare me...

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Senator Decker surely should be applauded for initiating a bill to allow open carry of firearms in a vehicle. His bill is short sighted as it is intended to apply under hunting conditions. The repeal of 167.31 has been tried a few times in the past. Each time it has been "shot' down by the DNR. The DNR has so much "clout" in the legislature that it more than likely will be defeated again. Not to say it shouldn't be attempted again.

The real issue with the vehicle carry statute isn't it's goodness or badness it is that it is unconstitutional and should be repealed on those grounds. It is unconstitutional because in concert with the concealed weapon statute 941.23 it does not provide us a manner by which to carry a firearm on all vehicles on which firearm carry is allowed by the state. For example: Under the Rules of Operation section of statute 23.33 it is allowed that a firearm can be transported on an all-terrain-vehicle, providing the firearm is encased. An ATV is constructed so that it is impossible to carry the encased firearm "out-of-reach" as suggested by the SSC concerning automobile carry. That fact puts the ATV operator in violation of the concealed carry prohibition statute. By law a person can not carry a firearm concealed and can not carry it open on an ATV even though state laws says it is lawful to do so. In the case of hunting a number of circumstances, some of which may be physical, remotnes, accessability may require a person to use an ATV. That person has more of a compelling need to carry a firearm on a vehicle than the state has in enforcing the statutes. By opinions of the SSC in Hamdan, statute 167.31 is unconstitutional because the state does not allow the person a manner of carry and therefore infringes on Article I section 25. s167.31 is also unconstitutional on the grounds that it can not be equally applied to all vehicles. There are many "single passenger" vehicles on which a firearm can not be carried out-of-reach and therefore avoid a conflict between statutes 167.31 and 941.23.

Statute 167.31 should be repealed not on it's goodness or badness, but on it unconstitutionality.

That of course is my opinion but I think it is valid.

Following is a letter I wrote to Allen Lee (assistant attorney general).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2007

Allan Lee

Assistant Attorney General

Deputy Administrative Services

Department of Justice

17 W Maqin St.

Madison WI 53707-7857

Dear Mr. Lee:

Thank you for your prompt response to my letter to the Attorney General office concerning what I perceive to be a conflict between state statutes 941.23 and 167.31(2)(b).

Needless to say I am dissapointed by your response that state statutes prevent your office from giving opinions to private citizens, leaving them only the option of paying significant legal fees and court costs to get state level legal opinions on isssues that concern them. I know that your response on giving AG opinion is correct.

That does not diminish the problem that because it can not be universally applied to all motorized vehicles 167.31(2)(b) is unenforcable, and possibly unconstitutional.

The State Supreme Court has declared the concealed carry statute 941.23 a strict liability statute, without exception, including the activities contained in Article I chapter 25. The SSC also stated that concealed carry was a manner of carry and that the state has the authority to regulate the manner of carry, describing them as visible and hidden. It also stated that Article I chapter 25 demands that if the state does enforce prohibition of a manner of carry it must provide an alternative manner or yield to the amendment.

When a single passenger motor vehicle is used to transport a firearm it is impossible for the operator of the vehicle to avoid the three conditions defining concealment. Conditions that were handed down by the SSC. Under those conditions and if the vehicle is a single passenger vehicle such as snowmobiles, ATV's, utility vehicles, small boats etc. the State does not provide a manner of carry. The State prohibits both visible carry (167.31(2)(b)) and concealed carry (941.23), therefore, one of the two statutes must be unenforcible.

My dissapointment that the AGO is not able to get involved is augmented by the concern that there are persons, especially during hunting seasons, that are wrongly cited and fined each year by the DNR. Persons that pay the fine because they lack the resources to contest the citation through legal channels.

Respectfully,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this issue I have received email from Mike Lutz the head legal counsel of the DNR. He acknowledges that under the conditions I described there is a conflict between statutes 167.31(2)(b) and 941.23. His position was that if the firearm is properly encased as required by 167.31(2)(b) the DNR would turn it's head to the fact that it may violate 941.23.

In the aftermath of the cop shootings in Milwaukee and the AG memo on open carry the timing may not be right to ask for an AG opinion on this issue. I do think that when the timing is betterthe proper approach would be to find some way to force an AG opinion. That is find someone to ask the question where the AG is required by law to respond. Similar to what was done on the open carry issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References:

167.31(2)(b)
(
b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon.

Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding [font="Times New Roman, serif"]s. 939.22 (22)[/font], for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

23.33(3)
(3)Rules of operation. No person may operate an all-terrain vehicle:

23.33(3)(e)
(e) With any firearm in his or her possession unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case, or any bow unless it is unstrung or enclosed in a carrying case.

Supreme Court rulings in State v. Hamdan

¶39. The State's broad police power to regulate the ownership and use of

firearms and other weapons continues, notwithstanding Article I, Section 25.

Nonetheless, the amendment's broad declaration of the right to keep and bear

arms inevitably impacts the exercise of that power. In this state,

constitutional rights do not expand the police power; they restrict the police

power.

¶40. The nature of this limitation is well established. Faced with similar

challenges, other states applying a reasonableness standard in the context of

regulating firearms have recognized that "[t]he police power cannot [ ] be

invoked in such a manner that it amounts to the destruction of the right to bear

arms." State v. McAdams, 714 P.2d 1236, 1237 (Wyo. 1986) (emphasis added).18

Some states have employed language less demanding than "destruction," assuring

that "regulations or restrictions [on a constitutional right to bear arms for

defensive purposes] do not frustrate the guarantees of the constitutional

provision." City of Princeton v. Buckner, 377 S.E.2d 139, 145 (W. Va. 1988)

(emphasis added);19 see also State v. Kessler, 614 P.2d 94, 99 (Or. 1980)

(stating that regulations restricting the possession or manner of carrying

personal weapons are valid "if the aim of public safety does not frustrate the

guarantees of the state constitution"); State v. Boyce, 658 P.2d 577, 579 (Or.

Ct. App. 1983) (holding that a limitation on the right to bear arms is

permissible when the means chosen to protect the public "do[es] not unreasonably

interfere with the right"). Case law reveals that while the right to bear arms

for lawful purposes is not an absolute, neither is the State's police power when

it eviscerates this constitutionally protected right.

¶41. Article I, Section 25 does not establish an unfettered right to bear arms.

Clearly, the State retains the power to impose reasonable regulations on

weapons, including a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons.

However, the State may not apply these regulations in situations that

functionally disallow the exercise of the rights conferred under Article I,

Section 25. The State must be especially vigilant in circumstances where a

person's need to exercise the right is the most pronounced. If the State applies

reasonable laws in circumstances that unreasonably impair the right to keep and

bear arms, the State's police power must yield in those circumstances to the

exercise of the right. The prohibition of conduct that is indispensable to the

right to keep (possess) or bear (carry) arms for lawful purposes will not be

sustained.

¶46. Under its broad police power, Wisconsin may regulate firearms. It may

regulate the time, place, and manner in which firearms are possessed and used.

The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms

are possessed and used. See State v. Perez, 2001 WI 79, 244 Wis.2d582, 628

N.W.2d820. It is constitutional. We hold that only if the public benefit in this

exercise of the police power is substantially outweighed by an individual's need

to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise

valid restriction on that right be unconstitutional as applied.

¶48. Wisconsin's current CCW statute is very broad. It is essentially a strict

liability offense.20 The legislature has not authorized any statutory defenses

or exceptions (other than peace officers) to the broad prohibition found in the

statute. As presently construed, the statute prohibits any person, except a

peace officer, from carrying a concealed weapon, regardless of the

circumstances, including pursuit of one of the lawful purposes enumerated in

Article I, Section 25. In addition, the statute reaches unloaded firearms as

well as loaded ones, see Wis.Stat.§939.22(10) (defining a "dangerous weapon"

under the CCW statute), and applies to any weapon within a individual's reach,

see Asfoor, 75 Wis.2dat 433-34, if the person knows the weapon is present.

¶71. In circumstances where the State's interest in restricting the right to

keep and bear arms is minimal and the private interest in exercising the right

is substantial, an individual needs a way to exercise the right without

violating the law. We hold, in these circumstances, that regulations limiting a

constitutional right to keep and bear arms must leave some realistic alternative

means to exercise the right.

Emphasis = mine

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammie wrote:
The DNR has so much "clout" in the legislature that it more than likely will be defeated again. Not to say it shouldn't be attempted again.
That is what the DNR thinks..... they wrap themselves in the "we are hunters" thing while trying to limit constitutional rights on land bought with our firearm and ammo money. Remember this is the agency where a desk jockey "law enforcement officer" said that the DNR has the authority to require the immediate surrender of firearms.

opusd2

imported post

And yet dealing with the DNR is like performing a root canal on yourself with a drill and no Novocaine. You can sometimes get the matter figured out but you usually end up with one hell of a headache.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

That is why I stated in an earlier post, in another thread that we need to get Wisconsin land owners on our side. This fight is more than just rally's and letters written to state reps and senators and legislators.
If we really want to fight this fight, then it must be fought in all corners and that means use every means available to us.
By involving the Wisconsin land owners things will happen. Look what happened in the Earn-A-Buck battle. The land owners said, "Stop Earn-A-Buck or we will close our land for all public and state use." Earn-A-Buck was suspended for a year.
With out the private lands the DNR will loose so much money it will fold. Maybe that is what this state needs in the first place.
We all need to start looking at the whole picture in order to win this war.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
That is why I stated in an earlier post, in another thread that we need to get Wisconsin land owners on our side.
The 50 Acre + landowners; Farmers that I know, are all in favor of allowing uncased and LOADED firearms in vehicles. Insome CWD zones the DNR suspended the normal requirement of unloaded and encased for these guys. Allowing my friend to shoot severel deer and a coyote from his tractor. I think J's got a point here. Get a bunch of them to show up at the public hearing and you'll have more of a force to be reckoned with. Sure, they are moreabout hunting, but they want the same thing in the end.

protias

imported post

smithman wrote:
The vehicle carry law cannot be fixed without fixing the school zone in parallel. Being able to have a loaded or cased handgun in a car doesn't matter if your car is in a school zone in the city, since in a school zone it must be unloaded/encased.

One way we could get around this issue of vehicle carry is if vehicles are personal property, and you can carry on your property, then having a loaded gun in your vehicle should be legal as well. I would assume a vehicle is personal property because it is registered to you, the owner.