• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Simply owning a handgun

northstar65

imported post

I will be retiring soon and plan on spending 4-5 months of the winter here in FL.Is it possible/legal to purchase a handgun privatly if I rent an apartment for that period of time.I understand that Florida requires a person to obtain a FL drivers licence after 90 days of residence.Any thoughts ?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

northstar65 wrote:
I will be retiring soon and plan on spending 4-5 months of the winter here in FL.Is it possible/legal to purchase a handgun privatly if I rent an apartment for that period of time.I understand that Florida requires a person to obtain a FL drivers licence after 90 days of residence.Any thoughts ?
Your easiest course is to buy a handgun where you currently live and bring it with you when you come to Florida.

You'll likely save money, too, since Florida gun stores are, as a rule, higher priced than
other states.

If you know where to shop in Florida, you'll save money, but that "knowing" has its own steep cost in obtaining it.

northstar65

imported post

I did not mention that I am a Canadian citizen in the last post and that buying a handgun privatly is the only route I believe that I can take to owning one. Sorry for the lack of detail.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

northstar65 wrote:
I did not mention that I am a Canadian citizen in the last post and that buying a handgun privatly is the only route I believe that I can take to owning one. Sorry for the lack of detail.
What kind of visa, if any, will you be travelling with into the U.S.?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

northstar65 wrote:
The Form 6 is a pain, but, with work, you might be able to bring your gun into the U.S. Once you establish permanent residency in the U.S., it's a simple matter to buy a gun across the counter at any gun shop.

In the U.S., if you're not eligible to buy a gun at a gun store, buying one privately is also illegal.

northstar65

imported post

Canadians who enter the U.S. do not require any visa and are allowed to stay up to 180 days if they are not seeking employment or attending school. Only need a passport since June 1st/09.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
northstar65 wrote:
Canadians who enter the U.S. do not require any visa and are allowed to stay up to 180 days if they are not seeking employment or attending school. Only need a passport since June 1st/09.
Without an immigration type visa, then, I would say that you would have to be a continuous resident in a state for 90 days and possess a hunting license to fall under the y(2) exception of 18 USC 922 in order to obtain a firearm in the US.

That's just the way I read it, though. I am not a lawyer, and I am not that familiar with immigration laws.

I dunno, NavyLT, you may very well be correct. But my reading of this indicatesit mightbe the reverse. But I'm not sure by any means. The key seems to be whether northstar will be a non-immigrant resident or not. We know he does not have a non-immigrant visa, of course, because he said so. But is he a non-immigrant resident? Ahh, I'll just let him read it and you and others can sort it out. HTH.

Purchase By Aliens:

According to federal law, an alien...., except those with a nonimmigrant visa, may purchase a firearm so long at they are legally in the United States, are a resident of the State in which the firearm is purchased, and have been a resident of that State for an uninterrupted "ninety continuous days." ..... The "90 continuous days" requirement means exactly that. The alien must continuously reside in Florida for a 90 day period prior to the purchase of the firearm without leaving the State. If he or she goes to another state orr coutnry within the 90 days, even for a day, they must start the 90 day period anew whne they return to Florida. For a non-immigrant alien the 90 day period is the 90 days immediately prior to the purchase.(ATF Ruling 2004-1.)

The dealer who sells an alien a firearm must obtain proof of residency by examination of documents such as....

Those aliens who are "non-immigrants" here on a "non-immigrant" visa may also purchase/possess ammo and firearms only under specialized conditions set forth in 18 USC 922(y)(2). The 90 day resideny requirement applies to purchase from .....FFL's) in an over the counter sale. Since purchase usually requires a current hunting license, ...

Simple warning....if your legal status as an alien ever changes so that you're illegally in the U.S.A. -- your ownership or possession of a firearm or ammuntion will constitute a felony.

This is an abbreviated version of the section on p.28 of Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership, Sixth Edition--2006 by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. I've left out the footnotes 'cause I'm lazy and you just really want to get this get this book. There is an updated version of the 6th edition out now. Good luck, northstar.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FFL&Category_Code=Florida-Firearms-Law-Use-And-Ownership-Info