• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here and wanted to share my permit story

santo

imported post

Well, I'm a new member but have read alot of horror stories here about how much people have to go through to get their Pistol Permits. So I figured I'd share my "non" horror story.

I gathered the paper work I need from my local PD, Norwich PD. Went down and took my safety class the following Sunday, which I lucked out on cause he had a last minute opening or else I would have had to wait for about 2 weeks till the next one. After class and got my certificate I got all the needed letters of refrence together and handed all my stuff back in to the NPD the following Tuesday. They were to busy to fingerprint me at that time and I thought to myself "here we go" But later in the day I called them back up and they said come right down. So I went back and got the finger prints done.

Low and behold 4 weeks later almost to the day, I recieved a call that my temp State Permit was ready to be picked up! I rushed down and picked it up and finished up the paperwork. The very next day I took the morning off of work and headed down to Middletown. About 15 minutes later I walked out with 5 year State Permit.

So moral of the story is, I guess obtaining your pistol permit is not always that bad. I got mine about 4 weeks before I had even imagined it was possible.

I look forward to being a member of this forum and getting to keep up on the latest news.

gluegun

imported post

This is yet another reason we need to eliminate the "suitability" requirement. There is no state law requiring the applicant to produce any letters of reference. The Norwich PD is implementing it's own policies in order to define suitability.

How many letters did you have to bring?

santo

imported post

I had to bring three letters. I didn't really mind, I mean have a few friends that are police officers so I actually had them write me the letters. I had a good feeling my refrences would check out ok, lol. But then I was informed that they actually don't even do ANYTHING with the refrences. They are put on file incase anything ever happens and you end up in court I guess they pull the file and contact your refrences. Sounds weird to me, but whatever. Like I said, the overall experience was actually pretty good and not any where near as bad as what I've heard of some other local PD's asking for.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

In Arizona, we have a one day class which includes a 10 shot test at the range. The shooting test is simple enought that every one of my students has passed it, and I have had well over a thousand in the last 15 years. After we fill out the paper work (we do the fingerprints before class and during the breaks) people send in their application and usually get their permit in two weeks. It has been a bit longer this year because the demand is high.

Of course, you can open carry without a permit if you so desire.

santo

imported post

Wow, you can carry with no permit? That's pretty cool. We also have the one day class with the 10 shots on the range aswell as dissasssmbly, reassembly and cleaning of the pistol

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Think Arizona's nifty? Here in Pennsylvania there's no safety classes, no written tests, no letters of recommendation, no range time and no fingerprints (well, Philadelphia requires fingerprints, but it's an illegal requirement). Basically, one fills out a one page application, gets one's picture taken, shells out anywhere between $19 and $45 (depending on the county), and they get their license anywhere between immediately and 45 days (depending on the county).

Oh, open carry is legal (and the police know it), and no license is required for open carry.

[align=left]However, this is a Connecticut subforum. Keep writing to your elected representatives, point out the differences between Connecticut and other states, and ask for uniform procedures to apply throughout the Nutmeg State (Town A has police, so you have to go through them, Town B doesn't have police, so you have to go to the State Police, Town C makes you jump through all sorts of hoops that Town D doesn't, etc., etc.).[/align]