Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Kalamazoo/Portage Picnic

Post imported post

With such a great outcome from the most recent Kalamazoo picnic, I am volunteering to plan the next one. First of all we have to decide on a place to hold it, and then settle on a date and time. First order of business:

Portage or Kalamazoo?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Portage has a nice museum at the airport, the Air Zoo. Free general admission too.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ISMOID wrote:
    Portage has a nice museum at the airport, the Air Zoo. Free general admission too.
    I don't believe that to be a public entity, though. It's registered as a "public charity" with the IRS, which puts it in line with churches, hospitals, schools, etc. But I don't know if it's publicly owned.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    ISMOID wrote:
    I don't believe that to be a public entity, though. It's registered as a "public charity" with the IRS, which puts it in line with churches, hospitals, schools, etc. But I don't know if it's publicly owned.
    Except that CC is not prohibited by law, as it is NOT one of the listed "gun-free" (criminal freedom) zones.

edit: spelling
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    ISMOID wrote:
    * Except that CC is not prohibited by law, as it is NOT one of the listed "gun-free" (criminal freedom) zones.

I know it's not prohibited by law. It's just not explicitly allowed by law, either.

I was just making the observation that they could kick our group out if they so desired.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    DrTodd wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    ISMOID wrote:
    Except that CC is not prohibited by law, as it is NOT one of the listed "gun-free" (criminal freedom) zones.

I know it's not prohibited by law. It's just not explicitly allowed by law, either.

Neither is OCing in general.

I was just making the observation that they could kick our group out if they so desired.
    Just as "they" could attempt to "ban" you from a part of town or other public area. If it is privately owned, most definitely, publicly owned it is more difficult to do that. Either way, the issue really only is important if one does not leave (trespass)
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    DrTodd wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    ISMOID wrote:
    * Except that CC is not prohibited by law, as it is NOT one of the listed "gun-free" (criminal freedom) zones.

Neither is OCing in general.

I was just making the observation that they could kick our group out if they so desired.*
    Just as "they" could attempt to "ban" you from a part of town or other public area.* If it is privately owned, most definitely, publicly owned it is more difficult to do that.* Either way, the issue really only is important if one does not leave (trespass)
    I know.

I guess I'm pointing out the obvious here. If we're going to hold an event there, we should ask permission if it's private, else we had better have a good backup location.

Post imported post

I was thinking more of an outside picnic, actually. I'll try to find a nice park if nobody has any suggestions.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Post imported post

I say Central Park in Portage, conveniently located behind the police/fire complex.

I'm just sayin'

Carry on

Post imported post

Central park OK but not too visible to anyone driving by. Milham Park @ Kilgore & Lovers Lane I think would be good. There's also one @ Oakland and Schuring but the name escapes me at the moment. That one wouldn't be seen as much as Milham Park tho. I'd think we'd want it to be easily found and seen. Bronson Park had great visibility as far as public attention.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

hopnpop wrote:
    Central park OK but not too visible to anyone driving by.* Milham Park @ Kilgore & Lovers Lane I think would be good.* There's also one @ Oakland and Schuring but the name escapes me at the moment.* That one wouldn't be seen as much as Milham Park tho.* I'd think we'd want it to be easily found and seen.* Bronson Park had great visibility as far as public attention.*
    The park by Kilgore & Lover's Lane... did you mean Portage Creek Bicentennial Park?

http://www.portagemi.gov/cms/media/f...20brochure.pdf

I've never been there, but if it has good public visibility and a good location then I'd be all for it.

As for dates, here are some options:

June 28 (coming up in about 2 1/2 weeks)
    July 12
    August 9

I've heard that July is going to be busy in terms of events, so I'd vote for the end of June, unless that would be too soon. I need votes for dates so I don't have to make the decision blindly, so please give input if you're even remotely interested in coming.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    hopnpop wrote:
    Central park OK but not too visible to anyone driving by. Milham Park @ Kilgore & Lovers Lane I think would be good. There's also one @ Oakland and Schuring but the name escapes me at the moment. That one wouldn't be seen as much as Milham Park tho. I'd think we'd want it to be easily found and seen. Bronson Park had great visibility as far as public attention.
    The park by Kilgore & Lover's Lane... did you mean Portage Creek Bicentennial Park?

I've never been there, but if it has good public visibility and a good location then I'd be all for it.

July 12
    August 9

I've heard that July is going to be busy in terms of events, so I'd vote for the end of June, unless that would be too soon. I need votes for dates so I don't have to make the decision blindly, so please give input if you're even remotely interested in coming.
    bicentenial park is a bike trail kind of park.. milham park is on kilgore and lovers lane, but technically in Kalamazoo.

Rob and I will be out of town July4-11.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    hopnpop wrote:

July 12
    August 9

Had to look it up - IDID meanMilham Park, or at least PART of it, which is at NE corner of Lovers' and Kilgore, across the street from Loy Norrix H.S.. However, after thinking more about it, I think Portage Creek Bicentennial Park, on Milham, would be abetter place. There's not quite as much car traffic, but Celery Flats runs right thru the park, which has a constant flow of foot, bike, and skate traffic. I think that would get good public attention. Also, there are a couple of pavillions there and clean, close bathroom facilities.

As to dates - personally, Aug would be best for me. Haveweddings to go to (out of town) on June 27th and July 11th both. Then out of town for MY bachelor weekend the wkend of the 18th, and getting married and will be honeymooning wkend of the 25th. I'm booked til Aug - then open all month. Exhausted just thinking about it! I'll run over there this evening and check any rules re: grilling. Think it would be A-OK tho. So, any feedback on that location? Central Park's proximity to PD is great but you can't even see it from the road so I'd definitely think elsewhere.

And thanks for reminding me Steph, I'd forgot to mention thatMilham ParkIS technically Kzoo. Bicentennial is Portage. So, if we really wanna stick to Portage, Milham's out of the running. Let me rack my brain s'more and ref a couple maps. There's GOT to be an ideal spot...
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

We'll settle on Portage Creek Bicentennial Park. We now have a place to meet. (Although Hopnpop, I'd still appreciate it if you'd swing by and check the park rules for grilling and anything else applicable.)

I need more input on dates!

The choices are all Sundays:
    July 12
    August 9

I'd like to have it on June 28 because of the recent events. Every day we wait puts the incidents further into the past.

Vote on a date if you haven't already!

Post imported post

---

Post imported post

Bronson park is just another Kzoo location. Pick a new location to educate.

Post imported post

I know I am new here so I dont expect my vote to count for much, but here I go anyway...

The last weekend in June is full of vacationsfor many families(including mine). I checked the stats for my company and thats the weekend people ask for off first!!! People are in a pinch for cash, but they still tend to go on a vaca late June. End of July/early August would stand a better chance of being seen by a larger "home town" crowd. Larger crowd or foot/bike/skate traffic = more knowledge being passed on to the people!

Either Way, both parks have their advantages and both weekends noted are good ideas. Great thinking and keep it up! Ill help out any way I can when the day pops up!

Post imported post

Tewlbox wrote:
    I know I am new here so I dont expect my vote to count for much, but here I go anyway...
    Once you've made a couple posts or so, and everyone knows you're sincere, knowledgeable about open carrying, and supportive of what we're doing, you will get just as much respect as anyone else here. Aside from the new positions MOC has, there is positively no seniority structure.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

senority, no. prejudice, yes.

Post imported post

The portage park at kilgore/ portage is tiny. There are only 20 parking spots and no area to roam. The Kzoo side is large...aka Milham park.

Post imported post

I'm most likely on board for whatever, since I live in the area and don't generally make plans for Sundays other than church in the morning.

Post imported post

NovaMan wrote:
    I'm most likely on board for whatever, since I live in the area and don't generally make plans for Sundays other than church in the morning.
    Obviously you're another God/gun clinger...

Post imported post

922r wrote:
    The portage park at kilgore/ portage is tiny. There are only 20 parking spots and no area to roam. The Kzoo side is large...aka Milham park.
    Can we take this to mean you might somehow attend!?

Post imported post

922r wrote:
    senority, no. prejudice, yes.
    Prejudice, yes? You got me scratching my head, here. Pretty new, myself, but the ONLY prejudice I've seen has been geared toward anti-gunners. Just curious as to what you were inferring there.

Alright, re: park rules, I'll drive by there in an hour or so and report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast