• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Next Kalamazoo/Portage Picnic

922r

imported post

The portage park at kilgore/ portage is tiny. There are only 20 parking spots and no area to roam. The Kzoo side is large...aka Milham park.

hopnpop

imported post

922r wrote:
senority, no. prejudice, yes.

Prejudice, yes? You got me scratching my head, here. Pretty new, myself, but the ONLY prejudice I've seen has been geared toward anti-gunners. Just curious as to what you were inferring there.

Alright, re: park rules, I'll drive by there in an hour or so and report back.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hopnpop wrote:
922r wrote:
senority, no. prejudice, yes.

Prejudice, yes?  You got me scratching my head, here.  Pretty new, myself, but the ONLY prejudice I've seen has been geared toward anti-gunners.  Just curious as to what you were inferring there.

Alright, re: park rules, I'll drive by there in an hour or so and report back.

He's referring to a thread in which he "introduced" himself by giving a 1000 word essay on Open Carry which was completely chock-full of factual and legal inaccuracies. I don't necessarily blame him, so much as I blame his training, in which Law Enforcement officers are led to believe that anytime they see someone with a gun on them, they MUST be up to something illegal, or already a criminal.

922r, I'd buy you a beer if we ever met in person. I hope you've learned as much as anyone else here on the website regarding Open Carry (myself included). I'm sorry to see you didn't make it to the picnic in Bronson Park (if you were one of the drive-by officers, wave next time :lol: ).

Hope to meet you in person sometime on friendly terms.

hopnpop

imported post

Here goes. Only possible probs I see: looks like we can only use the grills that are there (?) as I don't know of other "designated areas", and other is "post or exhibit advertising materials", so may not be able to, for example, drape the banner over a Tahoe. I think the parking would be sufficient. But take a look...

DanM

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Tewlbox wrote:
I know I am new here so I dont expect my vote to count for much, but here I go anyway...
. . .Aside from the new positions MOC has, there is positively no seniority structure. ;)

Just so no new folks get a misunderstanding, the open carry movement in Michigan is pure grass roots with people old and new to the movement welcome to step up and lead, coordinate a gathering, contact and speak to media (knowledgeably, of course), etc.

The MOC "seniority" structureMichigander refers toapplies (if it exists)only within the MOC organization. Outside of that, in the community of open carriers here in Michigan and nationally (which MOC is part of), there is no rank or seniority, although there are such things as experience,activeness in the movement,and credibility which do count.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MOC has a temporary Board. To stagger the elections the President and Treasurer will serve for 1.5 years from this month and the Secretary, VP and Sgt. at Arms for 6 months. We will have new elections from then on. Each term will be for two years.

PRESIDENT ................................................................................... [/b]Brian G Jeffs
[/b]Sergeant at Arms-non-voting............................................................ [/b]Jerry D Brewer[/b]
[/b]VICE PRESIDENT........................................................................ [/b]Nathan R Nephew[/b]
SECRETARY............................................................................... [/b]Christina R Florence[/b]
TREASURER................................................................................ [/b]Benjamin J Bawkon

We should be having MOC emails for the officers soon.

EM87

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Crud - took couple pics of park and they aren't posting.... Bummer.  Anyway, the grills there - are two small/med sized ones. 

Since I haven't seen it myself, I have to ask: is the park sufficient for a good size picnic? If you give it the okay then we'll have it there. As for the date, I'm leaning more towards August (judging by the few responses I've gotten) even though it's so far away. I'll set this up for the date in August if nobody has anything else to add.

hopnpop

imported post

I'd have to say aside from the limited grilling space, I think it would be good for no picnic larger than @ Bronson Park. If expecting maybe a bigger turnout, I'd consider something a little more spacious with more parking. If going there, I can try and contact parks dept on bringing grills. Also a note, the place to gather @ Bicentennial is really close to a kids' play area. I know it wouldn't be a safety issue, altho I could see some paranoid parents making an issue of it. Just be prepared for that possibility if planning there.

hopnpop

imported post

I'm going to be losing internet for a couple weeks, so I won't be able to keep a close eye on this thread (or any other for that matter) temporarily. I'll see where this stands and holler when I can.

bigdaddyj

imported post

Have you guys decided on a day for the next kalamazoo/portage picnic? I didn't find out about the one at bronson park until the day after. I and a few others are wanting to come and show support and get more info on the oc laws.

EM87

imported post

From the limited responses I got, it looks like it'll be best for us to plan this for August 9. We'll do it at the Portage Creek Bicentennial Park unless I find a better Portage location within the next month or so. Plan for another 1-4pm picnic. If you're interested in helping out with supplies, post what you can bring.

EM87

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
Have you guys decided on a day for the next kalamazoo/portage picnic?  I didn't find out about the one at bronson park until the day after.  I and a few others are wanting to come and show support and get more info on the oc laws.

Welcome to the forums! Take some time to read the stickied threads at the top of the page; you'll be glad you did. That's where you can learn almost everything you need to know about OCing. We hope you stick around!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87, if you plan to have the picnic at Portage Creek Bicentennial Park, please described where the parking will be. I can't tell by looking at a map.

Those whoare interested in attending the picnic,please indicatein your post that you are eitherAttending or a Possible. Also, please list items you will contribute/bringto the picnic.

(See the stickied Michigan Events Schedule Thread)

Edit: Spelling.

bigdaddyj

imported post

Westfield Park is situated in northwest Portage and is a popular site for all ages. Basketball, tennis, ballfields, and a soccer field are all available. The park also features a picnic shelter, play equipment and restrooms. Located at 4500 West Milham, west of highway 131. It is actually just down the road from Bicentenial park. A friend of mine that lives in Portage told me this would be a great place for the picnic also. I know me, my brother, sister-in-law plan on attending.

DanYolSon

imported post

Had no clue about the first one! I'll definitely be at the next one with a few friends. PLEASE let me know when you figure out when and where. Thanks and nice to be part of OpenCarry.org Michigan Forum