• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to open carry in Wauwatosa today

joshdr

imported post

Going to do some grocery shopping. Going to have a witness, set my cell phone to record audio. Thinking about sterile carry.

I need the basics on what to do if detained.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Common practice for most people in the rare event that they've had contact with the police is to verbally give name and address (but not produce identification)

You are not required to produce identification during a consentual encounter with police. You are not even required to give your name and address. Whether you choose to do so is a personal decision.

Other things of note is to clearly state "I do not consent to any searches, I do not consent to any siezures" if they try to remove your firearm or search your person. They will laugh and do it anyway, but its important that you document that you denied permission to search.

Their search then becomes an illegal search and siezure (again, nothing you can do about it at the time, but later you can)

The reality is, its highly unlikely you will have any interaction at all with the police.

Relax, enjoy your freedom and post up how it went and where you went.

Carry on!

joshdr

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Common practice for most people in the rare event that they've had contact with the police is to verbally give name and address (but not produce identification)

You are not required to produce identification during a consentual encounter with police. You are not even required to give your name and address. Whether you choose to do so is a personal decision.

Other things of note is to clearly state "I do not consent to any searches, I do not consent to any siezures" if they try to remove your firearm or search your person. They will laugh and do it anyway, but its important that you document that you denied permission to search.

Their search then becomes an illegal search and siezure (again, nothing you can do about it at the time, but later you can)

The reality is, its highly unlikely you will have any interaction at all with the police.

Relax, enjoy your freedom and post up how it went and where you went.

Carry on!
Thanks for the info. I plan on doing it at a store I know has a security guard at the front door. Its going to be interesting to say the least.

joshdr

imported post

This is pretty embarrassing but I fell asleep after work so my GF went to the store without me .

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

AaronS wrote:
I carry a copy of Statute 66.0409, and the school zone thing. I just printed them out.

Personally I think carrying a map of school zones is a bad thing, the way the school zone exclusion law reads is that you "Must knowingly, or have reason to believe you are entering a school zone". which basically states that if you are ignorant of being in a school zone, it is a decent defense.
So if you have a map of the school zones on your person, and accidentally wander into a school zone, you have no way of claiming ignorance.

Usually ignorance of the law is no excuse, but the way this particular law is written, it leaves ignorance as a defense.

Does anyone have arguments against this line of thought?

here is the statute;

(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Yeah, i would definitely not carry a map of the school zones around. Last week I was up in Port Washington and carried downtown, and then out on the breakwall. I looked around for schools, didn't see any, and figured if I was violating one, I didn't do so knowingly.

smithman

imported post

Nut and Hugh are right on here. You are better of NOT knowing the exact distance to a school zone, due to the "knowingly" clause in the law.

If you want to carry something, print pages 1 and 4 of the AG memo on each side of the same paper. This will be a pocket reference to remind an officer of the rules of detention if necessary, if he is hell bent on detaining you for lawfully carrying. I carry this information around. I also carry a recorder. I have yet to use it once after months of OC.

joshdr

imported post

Well my plan for being out and about is to do research to know where the schools are and have a set route, but for now private property is easier.