• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what constitutes a vehicle?

5jeffro7

imported post

Just curious if anyone has ever OC'd whil on a bicycle or motorcycle?

Although I'm not an attorney & don't play one on tv, I would assume that the above mentioned "vehicles" would be exempt from the "vehicle" clause as while on(in) them, the weapon is still exposed. I fully realize that making an assumption would lead to dire consequences, but I've often wondered about the possibility of OC'ing on my Harley.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

J

eBratt

imported post

If you have your CPL, there is no problem at all. I OC on my motorcycle somewhat regularly now that it is so warm out and I don't have to wear my winter or rain gear. I have passed a number of cops while OCing on the bike and hosts of other cars. Not a word has been said.

Hammer

imported post

I regularly OC on my M/C
I have my CPL so I can carry loaded. It seems a bit weird to me to OC unloaded, as you would have to if not a CPL holder. May as well put it in some carry cover at that point.
I have never had anyone stop me to talk about it, but have had a few double-takes from cage drivers.
Even when I rode a bicycle regularly, my attire didn't make OC reasonable. I simply put my pistol in my backpack. A bicycle is subject to all the vehicular rules of the road, so *and this is very much speculation on my part* it would seem to be a vehicle to me.

Tawnos

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I regularly OC on my M/C
I have my CPL so I can carry loaded. It seems a bit weird to me to OC unloaded, as you would have to if not a CPL holder. May as well put it in some carry cover at that point.
I have never had anyone stop me to talk about it, but have had a few double-takes from cage drivers.
Even when I rode a bicycle regularly, my attire didn't make OC reasonable. I simply put my pistol in my backpack. A bicycle is subject to all the vehicular rules of the road, so *and this is very much speculation on my part* it would seem to be a vehicle to me.
The only interesting thing about the law is that it says "while in a vehicle" - on a bike or a motorcycle, I don't know how that could be constituted as "in". It is my opinion, but may not be legal fact, that the purpose of the law is specifically directed towards being in cars or busses, where an officer pulling you over would approach and you'd be, effectively, concealed.