• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEW OPEN CARRY LAW IN MONTANA - GOOD LUCK TEXAS !

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

In Montana OPEN Carry was never against the law, but in some parts of the State of Montana dim witted Peace Officers and govt lawyers, would call it distrubing the peace. So Montana just a few months passed into law HB 228, the part below deals with OPEN carry. Montana will try to again get rid of Para # 3 about carry on college campus.

The total law is 8 pages, mostly deals with conceal and use of force.

+++++++++

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billpdf/HB0228.pdf

[align=left]Section 2. Openly carrying weapon -- display -- exemption.
(1) Any person who is not otherwise[/align]
[align=left]prohibited from doing so by federal or state law may openly carry a weapon and may communicate to another[/align]
[align=left]person the fact that the person has a weapon.[/align]
[align=left](2) If a person reasonably believes that the person or another person is threatened with bodily harm, the[/align]
[align=left]person may warn or threaten the use of force, including deadly force, against the aggressor, including drawing[/align]
[align=left]or presenting a weapon.[/align]
[align=left](3) This section does not limit the authority of the board of regents or other postsecondary institutions[/align]
to regulate the carrying of weapons, as defined in 45-8-361(5)(b), on their campuses

Dr. Fresh

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
In some ways, yeah.

But remember, for some people (like me) choosing a place to live involves much more than just their gun laws. It's more than just one issue.

-- John D.
Yeah. If I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd want to give up Galveston for the Montana cold.

RaiderG

just bought some land in Montana and can't wait until I can retire and move there. I'm stuck in California now and its so depressing being stuck in this loony leftwing nuthouse.

getting so bad that starting Feb 1st 2011 we can't buy handgun ammo thru the mail or internet any more... really sucks for me since getting .45 long colt is next to imposable in the stores around here. thank god for reloading!

Last edited:

Cowboy_Rick

With the .45 Long Colt as with all of the Cartidges that I re-load, it has served me for many years! My revolvers can fire Black Powder or Smokeless depending on whether I want to spend more time cleaning them. My Rifles I use Smokeless-but the Winchesters can also take the Black Powder load as well as the Smokeless, except for My SHARPS .45-110 and that is Black Powder with a Magnum Primer!

MT Yon

hehe

I have my concealed weapons permit but I carry my pistol on my side in the open. I have been asked a few times about it and let everyone know "It's there because I have the right for it to be."

One other thing I really like about Montana other than the open carry, is the limitations to helmet laws. If you are over 18 you can choose wether to wear one or not. Granted, I prefer a half helmet, if I decide to wear one, but in some states you don't even have that choice.

The last time a peace offer said something to me about disturbing the peace, I gladly pointed out the car that went by with one of those mufflers that sounded like a low flying aircraft and was so loud he could not finish his sentence. I just smiled and asked which one of us was disturbing the most peace. The cops haven;t bothered me since.

---

unknown author, "An armed society makes for a polite society."