• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC in Long Beach area coming any time soon?

afroglick

imported post

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and to California. Just moved here (Long Beach) a few months ago from Seattle, Washington. I miss the sensible laws of Washington. After I had lived there for 60 days I went to the downtown police department, filled out a CCW form, had my fingerprints taken and 30 days later i went in to pick up my CCW. No problems, no hassles. And Washington is one of the most liberal states there is. Not all liberals are anti guns. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else from this forum is from or near the Long Beach area. And if there is any planned Open Carry events planned for the area. If not, maybe we can organize one? I also had an interesting experience when I first moved down here. When I was scoping out the area, I got to talking to this motorcycle cop and we talked about the area, where I should stay away and what the safe areas were in town, etc. Somehow we got to talking about guns and CCW. And I point blank asked him what he thought of lawful citizens carrying concealed weapons. And he told me that he didnt have a problem with it and in-fact supported it. I then asked him why it was so hard to get a CCW from Sheriffs, and he told me point blank that it was all politics and it was because they wanted to get re-elected, thats all. I found this to be very interesting coming from a police officer and I have a feeling that more cops feel this way. Maybe if the next time there is a bill on the legislature for open carry, we could organize a police petition for officers who support CCW. Maybe if legislaters saw that many police officers themselves support it, they would think twice before just blatantly shooting it down. Anyway, that's my rant for now. :)

Peace,
-Afroglick

cato

imported post

no one in LB that I recall. there may be one. there is also someone who said they are in san pedro (your neighbor).

welcome to Ca. good to have you abord!

demnogis

imported post

I don't live in Long Beach but I do live in Orange County.

I have carried through Long Beach before. I was just passing through, though.

There's going to be a meet & greet this month in Orange County. Check the thread here. RSVP if you would like to come.

Definitely, we would like to have our meets all throughout Orange and LA Counties.

afroglick

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I don't live in Long Beach but I do live in Orange County.

I have carried through Long Beach before. I was just passing through, though.

There's going to be a meet & greet this month in Orange County. Check the thread here. RSVP if you would like to come.

Definitely, we would like to have our meets all throughout Orange and LA Counties.
Cool, thanks for the link, I'll check it out, would be cool to meet you all. Wow, man, you are brave open carrying alone. With the trigger happy police in long beach and L.A. I would be much to scared to just walk around alone with my gun on my hip. I wouldn't want the police to shoot me and then plant drugs or something on me to justify it. Maybe I'm paranoid.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Don't worry, I am certain most of the cops within about 50mi of where I am at are itching to try and put me away. Aside from the illegal detentions, everything has been normal.

Stay tuned, my brother and I are making training videos in preparation for an OC meet down here in SD.

-N8

dsmoot

imported post

Hey Afroglick-

Ive been lurking here for a while, but I live in Long Beach right near Cal State. Ive been thinking of OCing but, haven't wanted to go alone! That and Im not really sure how the LBPD would react. I was thinking about calling and double checking with the PD to make sure that there are no municiple codes to worry about, and see what their reaction might be (anonymously of course).

I was also checking out Seal Beach, just to the south, as I know the city codes and where all of the schools are better than I do in LB since I used to live there.

-dsmoot

cato

imported post

dsmoot wrote:
Hey Afroglick-

Ive been lurking here for a while, but I live in Long Beach right near Cal State. Ive been thinking of OCing but, haven't wanted to go alone! That and Im not really sure how the LBPD would react. I was thinking about calling and double checking with the PD to make sure that there are no municipal codes to worry about, and see what their reaction might be (anonymously of course).

I was also checking out Seal Beach, just to the south, as I know the city codes and where all of the schools are better than I do in LB since I used to live there.

-dsmoot

LB is a huge "little" dept (what a 1000 officers?). You're going to reach one person and get one persons opinion/advice and what ever it is it is not necessarily representative of the opinion/advice you may getfromother officers during any contact. That said I have generally liked the LB officers I've come in contact with in other work related circumstances and have found them to be professional.

Learn from others here, theinfo at californiaopencarry.org, and know what you are getting into, and make an informed decision.

Follow the basic rules: know the laws and case laws backward and forward, know where you are and that you are 110% legal, be able to converse in the law, carry the brochures, have friendly witnesses, a recording device or two,always bepolite and follow all orders.

artwork by oleg volk:

SmokeaCigShootaSig

imported post

Howdy, Im new here as well and reside in Orange County, in Aliso Viejo… There is a meet this month on the 20[suP]th [/suP]… I’m pretty sure I am going to cruise up (for its about 30-40min for me w/ no traffic)… Im glad to see fellow Orange County’folks who own firearms, opposed to the usual nose in the air that most associate with orange county residents. Try and make it on the 20[suP]th[/suP] ! I’m still not certain If I will be carrying or not, because I am brand spankin’new to the whole Idea of Open Carry… so as much information you can absorb – the better.

Hit me up if you wana hit the range sometime.

Later!

-Brandon-

eraseallhope

imported post

I'm in long beach... i actually UOC every day for the last year or so? since i've been a member of this fourm...

I've actually been on the washington fourm recently because im making a trip to seattle hahaha.. so i was brushing up on your old states awesome laws.

how old are you? im only 22.. pretty young looking guy still.. ut every time i've UOC'ed in long beach i have had no problems...people hardly seem to notice and if they do they just smile... and i have actually never ran into or had a problem with any police officers..

of course i have yet to push my luck shopping in the mall... or any place that large for a extended amount of time... im sure i would get some unwanted attention so i avoid carrying to those kinds of places.. but good luck im sure you wont have any problems going about your normal day UOC.

just dont do anything that IS illegal and you will be fine.

SmokeaCigShootaSig

imported post

Howdy, I just turned 29 last week... went shot-gunning over the weekend (since its the only ammo avail at my local walmart) for my b-day, good-times-good-times!

I have my digital recorder, it was a super cheap one I picked up at Best Buy for $40, it was an old Sansa mp3-player. But Im alone in my group of friends who actually LOVES to go shoot & is often called "freak" about how passionate I am w/ my firearms. In any event, kudos on the open carry... I shall practice it soon...

Later!

-Brandon-