• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions for McDonnell

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

From McDonnell's office:
Bob will be hosting a blogger call to discuss the results of the Dem. primary and to prepare everyone for the long road ahead!

Any questions you want asked?

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
From McDonnell's office:
Bob will be hosting a blogger call to discuss the results of the Dem. primary and to prepare everyone for the long road ahead!

Any questions you want asked?
Will he take steps to codify his 2007 AG opinion that personally identifiable CHP information is protected from public dissemination? Despite his clear opinion that such action violates the law, in practice this information is handed out like cotton candy at a county fair.

The 2009 GA passed a fake law (HB 2144) designed to make us think the information is protected, but like a screen door on a submarine, it left open the most important point of access, the local court clerk's office.

TFred

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Will he stand up for the rights of Virginians against the Federal government?

As a followup - Will he go so far as states like Montana and Texas in asserting state sovereignty?

vrwmiller

imported post

Skeptic wrote:

As a followup - Will he go so far as states like Montana and Texas in asserting state sovereignty?
+1,000,000

Virginia, like several other states, need to assert their sovereignty against the repressive federal government. Us citizens have not voted for and approved the financial and/or automotive bailouts or the stimulus funds. Why should we be forced as citizens to deal with the strings attached to these programs mandated by the federal government!?!?!?

VaLiberty

imported post

I'd like to know what he'll do to reduce the level of regulation and oversight the federal and state gov't has on the day to day lives of VA citizens.

I don't need any guidance, from the gov't over how to peacefully conduct myself in my home, church, school or bedroom, thank you very much.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I understand that you may have limited time and also have restrictions on the number of questions asked, therefore I have highlighted the most pressing of questions that I really urge you to ask and demand an answer for. These questions will be the first few with the most pressing at the top:

Does he supportStand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine laws... will he sign any such laws?

I want to knowwhat he will doif a conceal carry in restaraunts bill comes across his desk that is an *exact* clone of the one that failed this year. Will he sign it?

I want to know if he supports repealing of the failed 30 day handgun buy restriction law.

I for one very much want to know what he thinks about forcing state owned/state funded colleges to respect state preemption, thereby wiping out their bans on firearms carry.

I want to know ifhe supports legislation to force all colleges to allow carry of firearms by licensed conceal carry holders.

Will he support allowing conceal carry permit holders to carry concealed firearms into all school grounds.

Does he support a law that would force employers to allow the storage of firearms in business parking lots by employees?

I want to know if he supports open carry of firearms in State Parks, and thereby in Virginia National Parks.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Skeptic wrote:

+1,000,000

Virginia, like several other states, need to assert their sovereignty against the repressive federal government. Us citizens have not voted for and approved the financial and/or automotive bailouts or the stimulus funds. Why should we be forced as citizens to deal with the strings attached to these programs mandated by the federal government!?!?!?
Absolutely.

I hope he going to respond to the ridiculous assertion made by the ads against him that equates unemployment insurance to jobs.

And I hope he points out that it is not OUR tax dollars that he was for turning down - it is borrowed money from China , secured by the future labor of our children and grandkids.

Bottom line if they keep debasing the dollar - ammo is going to get a lot more expensive, when you can find it at all.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Will he seek or support codification of his AG opinion that Boards of Visitors do not have the authority to enact policy or Administrative Codeprohibiting firearms on campus except for students, faculty & staff?

Will heseek or supportlegislation allowingconcealed carry in restaraunts/clubs? Will he ensure that the open carry option is preserved?

Will heseek or supportlegislationallowing concealed handgunpermit holders to carry concealedhandguns into all school grounds?

Will he seek or supportlegislation that wouldrequire employers to allow employees to store firearms inemployer parking lots? Will he ensure that State employees who park on non-state owned property - including property rented by state agencies - can store firearms in their vehicles?

Will he seek orsupport legislation permitting open carry ofhandguns in State Parks, and thereby in Virginia National Parks?

Will he seek repeal of the one-handgun-a-month law?

stay safe.

skidmark

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
I understand that you may have limited time and also have restrictions on the number of questions asked, therefore I have highlighted the most pressing of questions that I really urge you to ask and demand an answer for. These questions will be the first few with the most pressing at the top:

Does he supportStand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine laws... will he sign any such laws?

I want to knowwhat he will doif a conceal carry in restaraunts bill comes across his desk that is an *exact* clone of the one that failed this year comes across his desk. Will he sign it?

I want to know if he supports repealing of the failed 30 day handgun buy restriction law.

I for one very much want to know what he thinks about forcing state owned/state funded colleges to respect state preemption, thereby wiping out their bans on firearms carry.

I want to know ifhe supports legislation to force all colleges to allow carry of firearms by licensed conceal carry holders.

Will he support allowing conceal carry permit holders to carry concealed firearms into all school grounds.

Does he support a law that would force employers to allow the storage of firearms in business parking lots by employees?

I want to know if he supports open carry of firearms in State Parks, and thereby in Virginia National Parks.

Virginia is already a "stand your ground" state but I completely agree with your "Castle Doctrine" suggestion. Your other suggestions warrant merit, too.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Skeptic wrote:

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. In fact, I would really like to see Virginia take it even further and basically say to the feds that if it doesn't pass muster with the Constitution's original intent (federal and state), then we are just not going to do it.

Texas has this one from what I understand.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ed wrote:
when is/was the call?
It was at noon.

Answers? :?

We've just all be dying to get them. :p
It was only a 30 minute call and McDonnell used a good bit of it. His answers were the same as during the last call.

I didn't get to ask about the specific items like Carry on Campus...but plan on calling Tucker tomorrow.

In all, it was just an extension of the same campaign talk. He is convincing though.

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/a-confrence-call-with-bob-mcdonnell-2/

A conference call with Bob McDonnell Lord… there were a lot of questions I had for Bob Today. He answered most of them, before I asked.
There was only one statement he made that I take issue with. He said Creigh Deeds was pro gun. Bah Humbug ! Deeds has the talk, but limps like on old lady.
Aside from that, McDonnell told of his vision for energy independence, including wind and solar. “I support a comprehensive approach to energy”.
He spoke about his vision to improve the quality of life for Virginians. He spoke about the difference between this race and the campaign for Attorney General he ran previously.
He said “I am strongly against Card Check because I think it kills jobs”
Further he said “I support Charter Schools”.
As he has stated before, he wants “Virginia to be the first state to drill for oil offshore”. I’m not sure exactly what he means by that, but I’ll know before November.
While talking about his opponents willingness to raise taxes, McDonnell said “I think there is a better way to fund transportation”.
Joe from The Prince William Conservative, mentioned that Deeds had gotten the NRA’s approval, but since then he has changed his position. Joe asked “Do you think he (McDonnell) will get that endorsement this time around?” McDonnell said he was certainly optimistic that he will.
This is where I started getting interested in what Bob was saying. He said that as Attorney General he supported the second amendment because it was the law. He told me the same thing about a different question during our last Bloggers call. One question that keeps coming up is will Bob as Governor, force agencies under his control, to comply with the law, as interpreted by the Attorney’ Generals Office?
The answer keeps coming up…”Yes”.
The rest of the call was discussing Deeds support of large tax increases and the fact that he’s being called a moderate.
During McDonnell’s opening salvo, he again expressed his desire to shrink Virginia Government and make it more responsive and less intrusive. Unfortunately, he didn’t go into detail about his feeling about the Federal Government’s ever increasing meddling, in state affairs.
As always, I view campain promises with suspecion, but Bob McDonnell seems to have the answers down pat!