• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious about how many people carry a .22

b1ack5mith

imported post

I do not own any .22 handguns... but I am curious as to who carries one concealed or open. Is a .22 a good defensive weapon? I still openly carry my glock 23, but when I get my CWP I'll carry a p22 as well (one open, one concealed :D)

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
I do not own any .22 handguns... but I am curious as to who carries one concealed or open. Is a .22 a good defensive weapon? I still openly carry my glock 23, but when I get my CWP I'll carry a p22 as well (one open, one concealed :D)

North American Arms 22LR in my front pocket for over 20 years .

Kel Tec P3AT , 380 , 8oz. , smallest , hers and I have myeye on it though .

I OC and CC Smith and Wesson 38 snub noses .

b1ack5mith

imported post

im actually thinking about selling my glock to get a p22 (need money, and ive been reading about the self defense ammo that .22's have, and they seem really nice) and my main thing is, the recoil of my glock is pretty strong... a p22 has almost no recoil, allowing great shots (aim for the eye! lol)

thx997303

imported post

I wouldnt do it, every single time i go shooting my .22 i get many, many misfires. I do not find rimfire to be reliable at all, especially in an auto.

Plus the lack of penetration, small wound channel, no i just wouldnt do it.

Cremator75

imported post

.380 in the pocket all the time. I also have a P22, but it is for cheap target fun. If I did not have the .380 I would grap the P22 for a fast quickie mart run. A .22 in the hand is better than a .45 at home.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i gave sgt. jensen some hyper velocity rounds once for his p22, and in my savage those things were FAST... i believe they went at around 1750 fps... thats incredible speed (they were HP's also)

just checked the stingers, they went at 1640fps

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i gave sgt. jensen some hyper velocity rounds once for his p22,
Let me correct you, It is my p22 not his, but we share! I love it! It does occasionally jam (but what 22 dosen't when it gets dirty). My p22 is mainly for fun target practice, but occasionally I will carry it as a backup gun depending on where I am and what I am doing. My Glock is my main carry gun all the time. :D

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

packingmama wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
Let me correct you, It is my p22 not his, but we share!

Hmmmm... Let's figure this out.

My name is on the 4473 for this P22...

My money paid for this P22...

My wife got this P22 as a Mothers Day gift...

:banghead: "What's mine is hers, and what's hers is hers" :p

The only problem I see with carrying any .22 is relibality. I have shot a lot of different brands of .22 ammo. I can't think of any that really stand out to me as dependable for a main gun. Even with my 10/22's, the P22 and the Marlin, I usually have some type of issue. Whether it be a failure to fire, a failure to eject, or a stovepipe, .22LR's are good at it all.

If you are set on carrying a .22 as a main gun, try a bunch of ammo first. You know your GLOCK will eat 500 rounds of .40without a problem, you should hold your next carry gun to the same standard.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
packingmama wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
Let me correct you, It is my p22 not his, but we share!

Hmmmm... Let's figure this out.

My name is on the 4473 for this P22...

My money paid for this P22...

My wife got this P22 as a Mothers Day gift...

:banghead: "What's mine is hers, and what's hers is hers" :p
THAT"S RIGHT!:p ;)

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
I carried a NAA .22Mag mini revolver as my deep concealed piece for a while. But in all honesty, it is not much smaller than my KelTec P3AT and so other than getting stuffed into my sock (opposite leg from my skean dbuh when I wear my kilt), the little NAA doesn't come out of the safe much these days.

I need to get a .22 semi auto just for cheap practice and as an intro handgun for friends and family who have never shot before. But as others say, reliability of .22 autos eems a bit low for self-defense carry.

PT111

imported post

I sometimes carry a NAA .22 mag but usually it is the P3AT. I would never trust any .22 semi-auto as I have had too many duds with rimfire ammo. Rather than a .22 I would choose a .25 which is exactly why the .25 was developed. To give a more reliable centerfire option for the unreliable rimfire .22.

b1ack5mith

imported post

ill look for a link to this new hyper velocity .22 that aguila makes. its around like 1600-1700 FPS with good fragmentation on impact... (ofcorse that is 1700fps on a rifle, probably only 1500 on a handgun)

the main reason i would even CONSIDER a .22 is because of cheap practice, low recoil, and amazing accuracy... (id rather land 4 rounds of .22 on a BG over 4 misses of .40 cal) granted, i will look like a complete a-hole, carrying a .22 on my side hahahaha (i still have my ruger 357, that baby will NEVER be sold!)

but i plan on getting my tax stamp when i turn 21, for a suppressor :D (unless der fuhrer destroys america by then)

Bennelli

imported post

CFP not CWP Weapon has a negetive cognition to it please always use the word, "Firearm" and not "weapon when refering to a Firearm.

Thanks,:celebrate

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Bennelli wrote:
CFP not CWP Weapon has a negetive cognition to it please always use the word, "Firearm" and not "weapon when refering to a Firearm.

Thanks,
Sorry, but I gotta disagree. My 10-22 may be just a rifle or firearm under most circumstances.

But any firearm I am carrying for self defense IS a weapon. And while the Utah permit to carry is titled a Concealed Firearm Permit, a careful look at the statute reveals that with the exception of short barrelled shotguns and full auto machine guns, the permit is really a Concealed Weapons Permit. It allows one to lawfully carry knives, batons, nun chucks and other weapons concealed.

I avoid using terms like "assault weapon" instead preferring "scary looking guns." But if I'm carrying a firearm on my person, concealed or open, as I go about my business, I'm almost NOT carrying it for the purpose of doing a little plinking later. I am carrying it as a weapon to use if necessary in defense of myself and family.

Charles