• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New toy and some ??s

Dr. Fresh

imported post

So I just bought one of these Hungarian 9x18 FEG PA-63s, and I have a few questions.

Does anyone make holsters for this pistol? More specifically, I'm looking for an IWB and/or ankle holster.

Are there instructions for disassembly/cleaning online?

Assuming it's in working order, is the pistol safe to carry chambered? It has a really heavy trigger, but I'm not sure if it has any passive safeties.

Is it safe to dry fire?

And lastly, I hear a lot about people replacing the springs to reduce recoil. Will it still function reliably with the stock springs, or am I better off getting new ones?

Thanks.

Here's a pic:

rrrvv6.jpg

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
So I just bought one of these Hungarian 9x18 FEG PA-63s, and I have a few questions.

Does anyone make holsters for this pistol? More specifically, I'm looking for an IWB and/or ankle holster.
Try a holster for the Walther PP (NOT PPK, but the PP)

Are there instructions for disassembly/cleaning online?
My Google-Fu is strong today. http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/walther_pa63.pdf (Yes, they call it a Walther for some dumb reason in the link, but it's a nice takedown guide for your PA 63)

Assuming it's in working order, is the pistol safe to carry chambered? It has a really heavy trigger, but I'm not sure if it has any passive safeties.
Yes. It also has a decocker.

Is it safe to dry fire?
I would imagine it is. If you are really worried get some 9x18 Makarov snap caps.

And lastly, I hear a lot about people replacing the springs to reduce recoil. Will it still function reliably with the stock springs, or am I better off getting new ones?

Thanks.

Here's a pic:

rrrvv6.jpg

Dr. Fresh

imported post

It's super cool. You should get one. They're still around for well under $200. I'll report back when I've fired it.

But man, I found some instructions on disassembly, and let me tell you, it's absolutely painless. Way easier to break down than my S&W 59.

EDIT: Thanks, SV. I hadn't thought of using a PP holster. That would probably work great.

EDIT2: The link to the manual doesn't work, but I just found a generic PP/Mak manual that has enough info. Thanks again.

:celebrate

Dr. Fresh

imported post

dawei wrote:
Any holster designed for a Walther® PPK, PPK/S, or PP will be a perfect fit for your FÉG.
Yeah, I heard that on another forum too. Seems odd, since the PP/PA-63 is a bigger pistol than the PPK.

cynicist

imported post

I've actually been thinking about getting one of those too. Centerfire Systems offers them for 150 (I think.) My only beef is the price of 9x18, and the lack of available brass.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
I've actually been thinking about getting one of those too. Centerfire Systems offers them for 150 (I think.) My only beef is the price of 9x18, and the lack of available brass.
What? $200 or so for 1k rounds too steep for yah? Plenty of brass out there too, or you could even trim down 9x19 to 9x18

Dr. Fresh

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I've thought about getting a PA 63. Here is my 9x18 gun. A CZ-82

3615397393_b78e3ba71c.jpg

I've actually been wanting to buy one of those for a while now. I might try to before the supply dries up, because they're great little pistols.

mb419

imported post

I just got one a couple of weeks ago. Excellent gun. My wife was spinning the 4" target at 15 yards in her first magazine. The recoil was surprisingly snappy. I got a set of Wolff recoil springs in 14.5#, 16# and 18# for $20. The 18# felt a little bit better and it still functioned at 100%. Ammo is still available and relatively cheap. $200 to $210 for a 1000. Also ambi safety and mag release.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

mb419 wrote:
I just got one a couple of weeks ago. Excellent gun. My wife was spinning the 4" target at 15 yards in her first magazine. The recoil was surprisingly snappy. I got a set of Wolff recoil springs in 14.5#, 16# and 18# for $20. The 18# felt a little bit better and it still functioned at 100%. Ammo is still available and relatively cheap. $200 to $210 for a 1000. Also ambi safety and mag release.
Are you talking about the PA-63 or the CZ-82?

I've heard recoil is harsh on the PA, but I don't really care that much, as long as the slide doesn't bite my hand I'm happy.