• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd Today. Was I legal?

langzaiguy

imported post

Today I thought I'd give the Southland Jamboree a try. It's a nice Bluegrass shindig every Tuesday evening right by Collins Bowling Alley on Southland Drive in Lex. This event took place outside the alley out on the lawn. They permitted people to buy beer in the alley and bring it out to the show. Only a few people did. SO--was I OK in OCing at the Jamboree?

It actually was pretty fun, and if I was indeed in the right--anyone is welcome to join me on Tuesday nights. I also OC'd at Liquor Barn and Bruster's Ice Cream. The whole night I got just a couple glances (none evil). It was a nice night out!

langzaiguy

imported post

I guess if what KSP posted was true, "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."--Especially the latter, then it sounds like I was within my legal right.

Anyone concur?

8th ID

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
It actually was pretty fun, and if I was indeed in the right--anyone is welcome to join me on Tuesday nights.

As far as I'm concerned you were legal. And just PM me some time and let me know what time this thing is andI could possiblymeet you over there some Tuesday evening.

Fred

imported post

hotrod wrote:
I will not get in this squabble again. I will say that you were legal!!!
Hehe the last one got pretty drawn out and heated. Good reading though!

Jared

imported post

The only place in Kentucky law I could find illegal for open carry was schools. All the other restrictions like bars and all that only apply to concealed carry of weapons/firearms.

Jared

imported post

The only place in Kentucky law I could find illegal for open carry was schools. All the other restrictions like bars and all that only apply to concealed carry of weapons/firearms.

Jared

imported post

Jared

imported post

From what I could find, Kentucky only prohibits OC'ing in schools. All the other restrictions apply to concealed carry.

langzaiguy

imported post

CC is restricted (according to KC3):
-Any police station or sheriff's office;

-Any prison, jail, or detention facility;

-Any courthouse containing only courtrooms or any court proceeding;

-Any meeting of the General Assembly, a committee of the General Assembly, or of the governing body of a county, city, or special district;

-Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion is devoted primarily to that purpose;

-Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the school authorities;

-Any child-care facility, day care center or certified family child care home;

-Any area of an airport where people and property are inspected;

-Any place where federal law prohibits it.

As far as OC is concerned, I can't seem to find any KRS concerning it. Anyone else have any luck?

jaegan

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
CC is restricted (according to KC3):
-Any police station or sheriff's office;

-Any prison, jail, or detention facility;

-Any courthouse containing only courtrooms or any court proceeding;

-Any meeting of the General Assembly, a committee of the General Assembly, or of the governing body of a county, city, or special district;

-Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion is devoted primarily to that purpose;

-Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the school authorities;

-Any child-care facility, day care center or certified family child care home;

-Any area of an airport where people and property are inspected;

-Any place where federal law prohibits it.

As far as OC is concerned, I can't seem to find any KRS concerning it. Anyone else have any luck?
I'm not a lawyer, but after searching though the KRS at http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm as far as I can tell you're pretty close. The only KRS I can find which mentions openly carried weapons is http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/070.PDF which specifies "whether openly or concealed" in regards to firearms on school property. So Schools are off limits for open carry, but I can't find anything else.

Statesman

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I guess if what KSP posted was true, "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."--Especially the latter, then it sounds like I was within my legal right.

Anyone concur?
I think the key word here is "establishment". If it is not defined in that chapter (or whatever applies ? ), then I think the next logical step would be to look for case law defining "establishment". Next in line, would be Blacks Law Dictionary, the most recent edition, which I dont' have. Next, some other dictionary ?!

The point I am making, is that an establishment might refer to a building, a business, etc, and not some outside event, and not some sort of "established" business place.