• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Card

Smoothsounds21

imported post

All I ever get is the State Police copy and the County Copy, both of which they need. I suppose you could copy it but This whole new system seems really stupid to me. There are many new ways they can get you for braking the law and half of them aren't even your fault. It seems like all the gun dealers don't like this new thing either.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Dano69 wrote:
Every gun I registered in Lapeer County I was given a green card.
Have you bought a handgun in the last 6 months? If not you would have a green card, that you can now burn up if you wish. The law was changed and now you keep a copy of the receipt (Proof of registration) for 30 days to give the state time to enter your info into their data base. After 30 days you can file that away as well.

autosurgeon

imported post

There are 4 copies and you should get three. One for you, one for the local police agency and one for the state police.

I have attached the new one for you to look at. I have my FFL 03 and have ordered hand guns mail order since the change and this is the form that I used.

After the 30 days on a new gun you do not need to carry a copy of the registration.

And that is CPL or not.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
How if you don't have it? They give you nothing?

I just purchased my first pistol less than a month ago. There are four (4) perforated cards to be filled out (one for you, one for seller, one for local LE agency, one for state police). You must keep your card on your person when carrying for the first thirty (30)days.

Of course, if you have a CPL this does not apply as you do not need to apply for the license to purchase.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
There are 4 copies and you should get three. One for you, one for the local police agency and one for the state police.

I have attached the new one for you to look at. I have my FFL 03 and have ordered hand guns mail order since the change and this is the form that I used.

After the 30 days on a new gun you do not need to carry a copy of the registration.

And that is CPL or not.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf
Mine is different than this. This is probably the one you fill out for private transfers or something. This is not the same as the one I received from the Sheriff's Office last month.

Bronson

imported post

I believe the old one had three copies so they maynot beusing the updated form. Everything I've purchased since the change over has used the 4 copy form.

The form that was attached is the exact one that all of my local stores use with the exception that they are stacked on top of each other instead of on a single sheet.

Bronson

autosurgeon

imported post

Nope that is the only form. Any other form does not comply with the law. It is true that the ones you fill out by hand in a store are 4 forms stacked but that is so that the carbon less system will work. The form I attached is a PDF that if you fill out one field on one section it automatically fills the others. I got it from the MSP website on MI.gov

Your permit to purchase is not the same as a pistol sales record anymore. It used to be you would get a purchase permit and the store would fill that out and keep a copy. Now they give you a purchase record that you take back to the police.

As I have a CPL I only ever see the purchase record so I have no idea what the purchase permits look like now.

malignity

imported post

I just recently bought my Glock 23, and what they do now is give out a carbon copy of the purchase slip. This changed in January, when MI no longer required gun inspections. I was told that I have to hang onto my purchase slip for 30 days, then after, I'm no longer required to hold onto it. Personally, it's small, thin, and I've just thrown it in my wallet with all of my other green cards that I still feel the need to have. Who knows.