• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Dakota Enters into Right-to-Carry

blt38

imported post

[align=center][/align]
announced Right-to-Carry reciprocity agreements with Maine and Virginia.

South Dakota will now recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Virginia and Maine. In turn, Virginia and Maine will recognize permits from South Dakota. Virginia will only recognize permits issued to South Dakotans who are at least twenty-one years old.

Permit holders must still comply with the laws that apply in whichever state they are traveling.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

blt38 wrote:
[align=center][/align]
announced Right-to-Carry reciprocity agreements with Maine and Virginia.

South Dakota will now recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Virginia and Maine. In turn, Virginia and Maine will recognize permits from South Dakota. Virginia will only recognize permits issued to South Dakotans who are at least twenty-one years old.

Permit holders must still comply with the laws that apply in whichever state they are traveling.
What really sucks is that we still have no reciprocity with Maine.

ElectricTurtle

imported post

I'm going to be affected by the one-way reciprocity problem soon too. VA honors WA permits, but WA doesn't honor VA permits, so when I move to VA next month I'll have to get a non-resident permit for WA or some other state they/we honor.

Bleh. It's times like these I wish I could get deputized like Nugent and carry under LEOSA.

Flintlock

imported post

ElectricTurtle wrote:
I'm going to be affected by the one-way reciprocity problem soon too. VA honors WA permits, but WA doesn't honor VA permits, so when I move to VA next month I'll have to get a non-resident permit for WA or some other state they/we honor.

Bleh. It's times like these I wish I could get deputized like Nugent and carry under LEOSA.
Why can't you just Open Carry until you satisfy the residential requirements of the Commonwealth?

TexasNative

imported post

From § 18.2-308.D:

There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city.
So, the requirement is satisfied the second someone becomes a resident or domiciliary.

~ Boyd

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ElectricTurtle's concern is with his ability to carry concealed in the state of Washington, not VA. Take a look at his comments again and you'll note that he refers to getting a Washington non-resident permit.

Bullbuster

imported post

ElectricTurtle wrote:

I was born and raised in WA. Still claim WA as my home of record. Maintain a WA drivers license and voting status yet I can't carry there with my VA permit unless I OC. I'd have to get a non-res or wait till my VA expires and then get a WA res permit. I'm just glad Oklahoma recognises VA's so next month whenI move there I can still carry.

I just wish that a permit was good in all 50 states regardless of what state you have it from. Maybe a USA concealed carry permit in in order. Same regs for all 50 states. We need to follow in AK and VT point of view.

ElectricTurtle

imported post

I think it's best for that sort of regulation to remain at a state level if there must be any regulation at all. That way it's harder for the FedGov to wipe it off the slate at a stroke. Not to mention any power that can be kept at state level is healthy. Rather it would be better if some way were found for getting carry licenses under the same full faith and credit terms as the many other licenses (marriage, drivers, business, etc.).