• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When an Detains you, asks why you are carrying a gun...

Pace

imported post

Two things to remember:

1) Do not talk, ever. Ever
2) If they do not let you go, remain calm and ask them only that they have a supervisor come to the scene. Most supervisors know the gun laws in the State of Nevada.

best,
Pace

calmp9

imported post

Pace wrote:
Two things to remember:

1) Do not talk, ever. Ever
2) If they do not let you go, remain calm and ask them only that they have a supervisor come to the scene. Most supervisors know the gun laws in the State of Nevada.

best,
Pace
I haven't been checking all the threads. Did it happen to you?

calmp9

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
some one should create a " what to do" guide when approached by LEO during OC
OC is a tough call. I contacted Karen Fraley, who was at that time Reno's Deputy City Attorney and Legal Advisor to the Reno Police Department. She may still hold that position. I sent her an e-mail regarding open carry in Reno and this is the response that she sent to me:

"Firearms are regulated by the State of Nevada and local jurisdictions
may only regulate the unlawful discharge of a firearm within the City
limits. I am unaware of any state statute that would prohibit an
individual carrying a firearm in a holster openly displayed. There are,
however, state statutes prohibiting firearms in certain locations. You
may wish to refer to NRS for further.

Businesses can, of course, regulate whether firearms are permitted
within their businesses.

I think you can expect an officer to talk to you should one see you
walking down the street with a firearm in a holster. It is also highly
likely that citizens would call in to report an individual with a
firearm, causing a police response. Normally, those who wish to be
armed obtain a CCW permit and simply carry it concealed, which causes
much less concern on the part of citizens and officers."

Karen S. Fraley
Deputy City Attorney
Legal Advisor - Reno Police Department

She encouraged applying for a CFP and acknowledged that OC would be met with LEO intervention. I was surprised to read about the encouragement to obtain a concealed firearms permit, but it became logical when they want to discourage open carry. Most jurisdictions are probably pissed off because of the preemption law. Until open carry is banned, there is nothing the local jurisdictions can do. Even Clark County is being met with huge resistance now.

BBJCaptain

imported post

Las Vegas Metro PD has just rolled out a new mandatory training program for all POST officers (both regular metro and corrections). The training must be completed by November 1 for commissioned employees below the rank of Deputy Chief. The training is an elective for all other employees (administrative, dispatch, etc).

The purpose of the training is to familiarize officers with Nevada law regarding the legality of open carry, and to clarify the department's policy on the proper response to citizens exercising their second amendment rights.

I've reviewed the training material and scenarios, and feel that it is a fair and balanced view of the law.

The training gives officers 3 "what-if" scenarios to review, and highlights what is and is not reasonable articulable suspicion to perform a Terry stop. At more than one point, the training stresses that the open carry of a gun - in and of itself - is NOT cause for anything other than a consensual encounter.

It makes the point that random "registration" checks are not allowed, and that any articulable suspicion must be based on the totality of the circumstances. If the firearm is all you have, you don't have anything.

The three scenarios are:

Man with a gun call on the strip at night. (There are other factors besides the gun. Gang dress/paraphernalia, potential under-age drinking, perhaps "known" to the officer to be a prior felon, etc.)

Man with a gun call, walking his dog - walks through a resident's back yard. (Gun alone is not RAS, but wearing a stocking cap in hot weather, may have trespassed on the caller's property, etc may provide RAS for issues other than the firearm.)

Group with guns on Fremont Street Experience. This is a nearly textbook example of an OCDO gathering. It describes a group of people from 35-60yo, open carrying, but not engaging in any other suspicious or potentially illegal behavior.

In all three scenarios, the training discusses what peripheral issues may or may not create RAS/PC for a detention, but it continues to stress that the presence of an openly-carried firearm is not RAS alone.

It makes mention of groups potentially "baiting" the officers to see how they will respond. It specifically deals with civil rights violations. It also makes the point that criminals do not normally carry weapons openly in a holster.

All in all, I thought it was fair, accurate (with some minor points under review), and should be a big help in educating local LE personnel.

I believe OCDO was directly and indirectly a part of the impetus for this training, and I'm proud to say that rather than escalated harassment as we've seen in other parts of the country - our local LE leaders have stepped up by providing fair and balanced training to the officers on the street.

Kudos to LVMPD!

P.S. The training specifically cites the US vs. Ubiles decision that possession of a firearm alone is not RAS. http://openjurist.org/224/f3d/213/united-states-of-america-v-kahli-ubiles

45 ACP rocks

imported post

Any idea how North LV can be similarly evolved? Like sending them something about Metro program? I always OC and had no problems so far, but it's always good to be proactive.

(BTW::D "Group with guns on Fremont Street Experience. This is a nearly textbook example of an OCDO gathering. It describes a group of people from 35-60yo, open carrying, but not engaging in any other suspicious or potentially illegal behavior." --- oh, no, I'm DISSED ... I'm 67, not 60. I worked hard to get that extra 7 years and oughta' get credit! :exclaim:)