• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun enthusiasts holding their fire

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Here is a link from today's modern day Virginia Gazette and a story about the ammo shortage:

"A local dealer contends that gun owners are hoarding ammunition in response to fears that President Barack Obama will attempt to tighten gun laws.

The ammo shortage is very real, says George Christy, who with his wife Laurie owns G&L Arms on Mooretown Road. Most Internet sellers are sold out or back-ordered on popular caliber ammunition....

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2009/06/10/news/doc4a2ed4fb30abf128679069.txt

tag

imported post

I haven't been able to get 9mm in months. I won't go to the range again until I can get some more, as I've only got about 300-400 rounds. There hasn't been any .22 on the shelves at Walmart, either, at least not that I've seen.

slvr02

imported post

tag wrote:
I haven't been able to get 9mm in months. I won't go to the range again until I can get some more, as I've only got about 300-400 rounds. There hasn't been any .22 on the shelves at Walmart, either, at least not that I've seen.
Fair Lakes Wal-Mart has .22 and plenty of Winchester 9mm (over 150 boxes of 100 round packs yesterday).

CRF250rider1000

imported post

slvr02 wrote:
tag wrote:
Fair Lakes Wal-Mart has .22 and plenty of Winchester 9mm (over 150 boxes of 100 round packs yesterday).
You must have gone after 930 or 10pm when they get their shipment in every night:shock:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

The hard part for me is getting someone 21 to come with me to stand in line and buy the ammo at 10pm on a weekday:banghead: I just want 500 rounds of 9mm so that I can go back to the range and shoot a little 9mm here and there instead of just .22 (which i'm also running out of yikes!):(

mercutio545

imported post

I've held off on shooting a little. I'm down to about 150-200 rounds of pistol ammo, but I feel that's all I really need for a reserve. In most scenarios, I would only use my pistol to get to my rifle, or if the rifle ran out of ammo, and that's not happening anytime soon. :cool:

KBCraig

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
The hard part for me is getting someone 21 to come with me to stand in line and buy the ammo at 10pm on a weekday:banghead: I just want 500 rounds of 9mm so that I can go back to the range and shoot a little 9mm here and there instead of just .22 (which i'm also running out of yikes!):(
Easy: the 9mm is for your rifle. Surely you have a 9mm carbine, right?

Both .22 and 9mm (and many other calibers) are available in both long guns and handguns. It's not illegal to sell any particular caliber to someone 18-20, unless it's for[/i] a handgun.

They would sell you .45-70, right? What if you didn't have a .45-70 rifle, but had a BFR instead? They could sell you .410 shotshells for your shotgun, but not for your Taurus "Judge".

The age prompt is only to determine if it's for a handgun. If it's not, you're legal to purchase.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Easy: the 9mm is for your rifle. Surely you have a 9mm carbine, right?

Both .22 and 9mm (and many other calibers) are available in both long guns and handguns. It's not illegal to sell any particular caliber to someone 18-20, unless it's for a handgun.

They would sell you .45-70, right? What if you didn't have a .45-70 rifle, but had a BFR instead? They could sell you .410 shotshells for your shotgun, but not for your Taurus "Judge".

The age prompt is only to determine if it's for a handgun. If it's not, you're legal to purchase.

I've battled with the lady at Walmart before about having a carbine but they would not sell! I had to get the manager to come over just to get some dang .22:cuss:The computer pops up as 21 for ANY ammo that goes into a handgun and the little Walmart only understands what the computer is telling them. If I am down at Fair Lakes I guess I will see what they say there as I haven't tried that Walmart. I'll battle with them for a while. Can someone find me the federal law cite on ammo so that I can bring it with me to have some proof of my battle? Thanks!

slvr02

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
slvr02 wrote:
tag wrote:
You must have gone after 930 or 10pm when they get their shipment in every night:shock:
I went at about 2 pm on Tuesday. I heard as of last evening they were out of the 9mm and had very little .40 left.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
The computer pops up as 21 for ANY ammo that goes into a handgun and the little Walmart only understands what the computer is telling them. If I am down at Fair Lakes I guess I will see what they say there as I haven't tried that Walmart. I'll battle with them for a while. Can someone find me the federal law cite on ammo so that I can bring it with me to have some proof of my battle? Thanks!

18 USC 922 (b): It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age...

Then the book goes on to put it in "English"...

(b)(1) It's illegal for an FFL to sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun and amtching ammunition to anyone under 18 years old. It's illegal for an FFL to sell or deliver a handgun and matching ammunition to anyone under 21 years old.

Commiebastages... That about covers it, I think.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Walmart, being an FFL, is engaged in massive CYA. Better to risk losing a small number of customers, who can and will be replaced by others, than to risk the entire retail operation due to an error committed by some associate who has no desire to learn the ins and outs of the law.

The register is set up to deal with the lowest common denominator of worker-bee. It says ask for proof of age for all ammo known (to Walmart) to be "handgun ammo." They do not want to debate .410 in a Judge or derringer vs. a shotgun, or BFR shooting.

It's a pain, but there is not going to be any way to get around it except by getting older. If you are bothered by the way Walmart does things, either go elsewhere to buy your ammo or get a friend over 21 to do the Walmart run for you.

stay safe.

skidmark

Wooley

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
PM me...I'm a nightowl.

tag

imported post

Wooley wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
PM me...I'm a nightowl.
If you two make a run let me know, I need to pick up some ammo too.

Chaingun81

imported post

I used to have trouble finding 9mm when I was really hunting after it, but ever since I got my safety stock, I keep running in it over and over again. I was in Fair Lakes Wally Sunday evening - around 6 PM - time when normally there is NO ammo at all - and I was shocked to find a buttload of 9mm and 40 (both Blazer Brass) on the shelves. I don't own a 40, so I don't know how much it was; but 9 mm was usual 8.90 (or so)per box of 50.

paramedic70002

imported post

The ammo shortage is officially over. Stocks will replenish in the next couple of weeks. The hoarding craze has passed.

There, you read it on the internet so it must be true. Let's see if it works...