• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bull Run Park - NPS

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

National Park Service (NPS) is the "no carry allowed at all" park service, until next year when the new rules go into effect, from what I remember and based on the GW Parkway OC thread.

I'm thinking of attending an event at Bull Run Park in Manassas and based on this web site: http://www.nps.gov/archive/mana/home.htm it looks to be an NPS park. (Edit to add: I forgot to note, it's the Fourth of July Tea party, but I'm not going to give up my right to carry in order to protest when it could be held elsewhere.)

Bull Run Park - Is it NPS? If yes, that means no carry for now, right?

I think I've already answered my own question, but am hoping someone will say "No silly, it's a different park service and carry is just fine," but I'm not holding my breath.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
National Park Service (NPS) is the "no carry allowed at all" park service, until next year when the new rules go into effect, from what I remember and based on the GW Parkway OC thread.

I'm thinking of attending an event at Bull Run Park in Manassas and based on this web site: http://www.nps.gov/archive/mana/home.htm it looks to be an NPS park. (Edit to add: I forgot to note, it's the Fourth of July Tea party, but I'm not going to give up my right to carry in order to protest when it could be held elsewhere.)

Bull Run Park - Is it NPS? If yes, that means no carry for now, right?

I think I've already answered my own question, but am hoping someone will say "No silly, it's a different park service and carry is just fine," but I'm not holding my breath.
I've looked up and down the net.... and all I get I can find is "regional park"

I have no idea what a regional park is. Most likely it is a state owned/managed park, which would mean conceal carry only.

Chaingun81

imported post

You both are right. There is Bull Run Manassas National Battlefield Park which is obviously an NP under Department of Interior jurisdiction and therefor offlimits for carry.

There is also a Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville which I think is a locally managed park and I belive CC is ok there, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it has Bull Run Shooting Center in this park which is a very nice DGIF managed facility for skeet and trap.

Now having answered the easy questions, let me ask back the hard one. Manassas NBP is on both sides of Rt. 29 in Manassas - is this portion of Rt. 29 a part of NP or not?

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

kenny wrote:
Nope, Bull Run = Civil War = National Park Service haven't you guys ever heard of a search engine?

Are all Civil War battlefieldsnow run by theNational Park Service? I do not believe any of the Richmond area parks were until recently.Below is the contact for NVRPA, the park operator for Bull Run Regional park (which has a public shooting center). This certainly sounds like a Virginia agency, but you may want to contact them to be certain. Now, Manassas National Battlefield park is a different story, as it is certainly NPS. Make certain of to which park you are going to (Bull Run Regional does not seem to actually be battlefield related).

Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority Headquarters
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, Virginia 22039 Phone: 703-352-5900 FAX: 703-273-0905 Email: Feedback@NVRPA.org
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Bull Run Regional Park is essentially operated by several localities i.e. not the state and not the feds. Open and concealed carry are fine, in fact OCDO has had 2 picnics there with no fuss at all.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
Nope, Bull Run = Civil War = National Park Service haven't you guys ever heard of a search engine?
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. As a matter of fact I tried a search engine. It's the first thing I always try. I could not get anything concrete or official on the subject.

It would appear however, that it is not a National Park or part of one.

"Civil War" does not automatically mean "National Park".

That kind of logic doesn't work.

Please don't assume that just because someone has a lack of knowledge on a particular subject or is unable to confirm something that they must have skipped out on using Google.

Did you even use a search engine before answering?

kenny

imported post

Any true self respecting Virginian would have known this answer off the top of their head. The OP mentioned nothing about a regional park. Had he I would have explain the northern Virginia regional park system to him.

The url was a dead give away. My comment was to the OP and if I offended you, well you must had deserved. Besides I am an equal opportunity offender.

Yes any Civil War Park or monument or otherwise does mean National Park. Ah, but if you knew your Virginia history you would have known that.

A special thanks to to my 6th & 7th grade teachers who gave me my foundation in Civil War history and of course my parents for living in the great Commonwealth of Virginia. A special thanks to all the drop outs and flunk outs for making me smarter than you.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
Any true self respecting Virginian would have known this answer off the top of their head. The OP mentioned nothing about a regional park. Had he I would have explain the northern Virginia regional park system to him.

The url was a dead give away. My comment was to the OP and if I offended you, well you must had deserved. Besides I am an equal opportunity offender.

Yes any Civil War Park or monument or otherwise does mean National Park. Ah, but if you knew your Virginia history you would have known that.

A special thanks to to my 6th & 7th grade teachers who gave me my foundation in Civil War history and of course my parents for living in the great Commonwealth of Virginia. A special thanks to all the drop outs and flunk outs for making me smarter than you.
I'm not going to dignify that irrational and uncalled for post with any sort of response. It's not worth it. No doubt there will be an arrogant rebuttal claiming victory or to place more unsubstantiated labels on others. I'll let your words and manner speak for themselves. There will be no further response from me on this matter.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
You both are right. There is Bull Run Manassas National Battlefield Park which is obviously an NP under Department of Interior jurisdiction and therefor offlimits for carry.

There is also a Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville which I think is a locally managed park and I belive CC is ok there, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it has Bull Run Shooting Center in this park which is a very nice DGIF managed facility for skeet and trap.

Now having answered the easy questions, let me ask back the hard one. Manassas NBP is on both sides of Rt. 29 in Manassas - is this portion of Rt. 29 a part of NP or not?

You may carry on this piece of road open or concealed as it is a through road and operated by the state. I called the NPS office at the Manassas Battlefield park several years ago about this very issue since I travel those roads frequently between Manassas/Centreville and my home. The ranger assured me that I was fine. However, do not stop at one of the pulloffs or parking lots in the park when armed. You could have a problem with that one.

kenny

imported post

Mr/Ms Dispatcher left out the fact that there are many historic civil war sites in VIRGINIA that are not national Parks or State Parks. A couple that come to mind are Fort Early in Lynchburg. Also in Lynchburg the Sandusky House. Not to mention all the places people slept and drank water throughout the Commonwealth during the Civil war period. I think there may be an infamous pit toilet or two.

Another neat little place to visit is Clover Hill just down the road and a turn from the NPS's Appomattox Historical Park. It takes about life before Appomattox was called Appomattox.

Sorry for the typo. I don't have the advantage that Dispatcher does of being paid to surf the Internet.

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

kenny wrote:
Yes any Civil War Park or monument or otherwise does mean National Park.
kenny wrote:
Mr/Ms Dispatcher left out the fact that there are many historic civil war sites in VIRGINIA that are not national Parks or State Parks.
Dispatcher wrote:
kenny wrote:
"Civil War" does not automatically mean "National Park".

That kind of logic doesn't work.
Dispatcher wrote:
Kenny, how do you go from stating that "any Civil War Park or monument or otherwise does mean National Park" to "Mr/Ms Dispatcher left out the fact that there are many historic civil war sites in VIRGINIA that are not national Parks or State Parks" when Dispatcher's argument has been that there ARE non-NPS Civil Warr sites!? It is bad enough that you are down right disrespectful, but clearly lying in an attempt to save some face is just pathetic.

Chaingun81

imported post

kenny wrote:
Mr/Ms Dispatcher left out the fact that there are many historic civil war sites in VIRGINIA that are not national Parks or State Parks. A couple that come to mind are Fort Early in Lynchburg. Also in Lynchburg the Sandusky House. Not to mention all the places people slept and drank water throughout the Commonwealth during the Civil war period. I think there may be an infamous pit toilet or two.

Another neat little place to visit is Clover Hill just down the road and a turn from the NPS's Appomattox Historical Park. It takes about life before Appomattox was called Appomattox.

Sorry for the typo. I don't have the advantage that Dispatcher does of being paid to surf the Internet.

Seriously dude. You gotta calm down. Offended the guy for no reason and then contradict your own statements which you originally used to make fun of him.

Unload your firearm and don't touch it until you stop acting like that. :lol:

Chaingun81

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

You may carry on this piece of road open or concealed as it is a through road and operated by the state. I called the NPS office at the Manassas Battlefield park several years ago about this very issue since I travel those roads frequently between Manassas/Centreville and my home. The ranger assured me that I was fine. However, do not stop at one of the pulloffs or parking lots in the park when armed. You could have a problem with that one.

Thanks man! Now let me ask you a little harder question. What about a portion fo Rt. 211 between Sperryville and Luray right around the entrance to Skyline drive - is that a part of Shenandoah NP or not?

Note: I don't mean entering Skyline drive or stopping anywhere enroute - just driving on Rt. 211 from Speryville to Luray without stopping anywhere.

nova

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Bull Run Regional Park is essentially operated by several localities i.e. not the state and not the feds. Open and concealed carry are fine, in fact OCDO has had 2 picnics there with no fuss at all.
I have OC'd at several NVRPA parks around the area before with no problems.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
I don't have the advantage that Dispatcher does of being paid to surf the Internet.

Just wanted to advise people that internet use is strictly forbidden on the dispatch floor.

Ever further than that, dispatch computers cannot even access the internet at all!

There is no internet access on them, period.

There are no cellphones on the dispatch floor either.

Just thought I'd clear up that little myth.