• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my first hangun!

Johnny_B

imported post

Just got my first handgun, and when I get my permission slip from the state I'll be carrying, still debating on OC or CC tho (Even though my ENTIRE family is against it, for the 2nd but not for every day carry on person) I've gotten some bad stories from Ms OCers, though there are good stories.

Beretta's Px4 Storm 9mm F series, I love the feel of it, how easy it is to take apart. DA/SA with safety decocker. I love how when you put the gun into safe it automatically decocks the gun and the trigger just falls loose, literally can't do anything with the gun on safe except pull the trigger and look silly. The barrel also rotates to absorb recoil, no personal story there but I'll shoot it this weekend.

It's hard to load the ammo past 14 rounds on a 17 round mag, the included mag loadeder is a life saver there, one other complaint is how awefully hard it is to change the backstrap grip. the "spring" that holds it in place, which is basically a long 'U' shaped rod is a @$#@$ to get out, have to take a flathead screwdriver and pry it out, then when you put it back in you need a hard surface or small hammer to get it all the way back in.

Other than that the gun's weight is perfect for my build and hand size, it's top heavy unloaded, but loaded it's weight is great.

After I shoot it I'll take some photo's and say some more :)

So far I love it.

Johnny_B

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Sounds Great and Welcome to OCDO.

I won't comment on MS OC permits :banghead:
Thanks for the welcome, found the boards to be friendly :)

and yes, lets not comment on MS OC status :banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

Eeyore

imported post

I rented a PX4 one time. I loved the smoothness of the rotating barrel action. The trigger felt pretty much the same as an M9/Model 92. However, my rental example failed to fully cycle several times, so that put some doubt in my mind about its overall reliability. I'll bet your will work fine as long as you keep it clean and properly lubed.

Johnny_B

imported post

Finally went and shot about 100 rnds through my Px4!

Was very smooth action, and no problems for the first 100, the felt recoil was extreamly low, and the muzzle climb wasn't as bad as most handguns I've shot. Was VERY acurate to about 20 yards, which was as far as I could shoot today. Overall I'm loving my new gun :)

TehGruu

imported post

It's always fun to run the first few hundred rounds through a new gun, huh? Lol, I remember the first gun I ever shot in my life. I was like 7 or 8 and it was a Remmington single shot bolt-action .22. My Granddad took me to theback of his property. He had like 10 acres or so if I remember correctly. Anyway, I remember his big hands holding the bullets for me and scooping out a new shell after firing the one in the tube. He was a Korean war vet and had "Garand thumb." After he taught me how to shoot that day, we walked back to the house and he taught me how to clean my rifle. I still have that rifle and will either give it to my own child if I have one, or else I'll pass it on to one of my nephews.

To this day I do my best to heed his advice and always clean my guns after I shoot them ASAP. People always comment on the condition my weapons are in. I miss you Granddad. That man taught me 2 of the most important skills I think I've learned in my life. Howto shoot and maintain my guns, and how to properly tie a fisherman's knot.

Congrats on your new tool.

kwiebe

imported post

Johnny_B wrote:
Just got my first handgun, and when I get my permission slip from the state I'll be carrying, still debating on OC or CC...Beretta's Px4 Storm 9mm F series...
Congrats. I'm also interested in this gun. So far only seen it online. Wondering how bulky it would be for CC. Have you CC'd it yet? What are your thoughts, Johnny B?

Johnny_B

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
Just got my first handgun, and when I get my permission slip from the state I'll be carrying, still debating on OC or CC...Beretta's Px4 Storm 9mm F series...
Congrats. I'm also interested in this gun. So far only seen it online. Wondering how bulky it would be for CC. Have you CC'd it yet? What are your thoughts, Johnny B?

It's a 4" barrel but they do have a sub-compact. I thought the sub was a little to tiny for my hands, the 4" fits great and I like the weight of it with a full mag. I haven't CCed or carried it yet because I have to wait for my permission slip :)cuss::cuss:)

When I went to pick out my first gun I handled a number of them, and the Px4 F series just felt amazing in my hand, the only thing I did was change the medium backstrap to the large one (adds a tiny bit of beef right under the slide, can kindof see it in the 1st photo how the backstrap curves up, small and medium don't)

If you do pick out a Px4 make SURE you get the right series, F series is the most common (DA/SA decocker safey) but there are D, and G, and I think two more series that I wouldn't personally want (one is SA only, one is a spurless hammer with no deocker, ect.)

The thing I like is that it's a gun made to be personalized and carried, which is why it has a rounded trigger guard. The sights are good but not the best, the "luminesence" doesn't last as long as advertized (30min) lasts about 10 maybe, but when I have it in my car they're VERY bright when I get home and bring it in the house just from being in the sunlight, but you can buy upgraded ones (but i don't want to spend $70). The backstraps are interchangable, but it's a pain to remove the retaining pin. The mag release can also be swaped to either side of the gun, it's not dual ambedextrious like the safety (thought it was odd, but I'm okay with it).

The slide catch for my hands is in the perfect spot, I've handled a friends USP and the mag catch is to far for me to comfortably release it, unlike the Px4 where my thumb can flip it with easy.

One quirk is how smooth the safety is, sweaty hands can make it slip under your thumb, but that I can get used to with practice.

Here's some photos of my new gun :)

DSC00990.JPG
DSC00990.JPG

DSC00990.JPG
DSC00988.jpg

DSC00990.jpg