• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rest areas

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA

imported post

We recently went to North Carolina and stopped at a Rest Area. I had my gun on my hip with my tee-shirt pulled over the handle. (I have a concealed permit) An employee approached me and asked if I was carrying a gun, and I told him yes. My husband was worried that the police would be called. Is it against the law to carry in rest areas?

buzzsaw

imported post

IANAL but have taken the NC CC course and keep up with these things as much as possible. When CC was passed specific exemption was made for rest areas to be legal for CC. If open carrying it should be ok anyway. It is also possible that the "employee" was actually LEO since many rest areas have them more or less assigned all the time and NC does have "must notify" included in our CC law.

PT111

imported post

Don't know about NC but in South Carolina it is legal and is spelled out in the codes. It only covers Interstate rest areas.
16-23-420
(F) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry concealed weapons pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23 when upon any premises, property, or building that is part of an interstate highway rest area facility.

virginiatuck

imported post

I recently traveled through North Carolina. I carried openly at a rest area while my sister used the restroom, but before I left for my trip I printed out relevant firearms laws for the states I'd be passing through.

North Carolina Statute:
§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.
This section shall not apply to:
(1) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3, effective June 27, 1997,
(1a) A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b),
(2) through (4) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3, effective June 27, 1997,
(4a) Any person in a building housing a court of the General Court of Justice in possession of a weapon for evidentiary purposes, to deliver it to a law‑enforcement agency, or for purposes of registration,
(4b) Any district court judge or superior court judge who carries or possesses a concealed handgun in a building housing a court of the General Court of Justice if the judge is in the building to discharge his or her official duties and the judge has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24,
(4c) Firearms in a courthouse, carried by detention officers employed by and authorized by the sheriff to carry firearms,
(5) State‑owned rest areas, rest stops along the highways, and State‑owned hunting and fishing reservations.
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

And:
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
<snip>
(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.