• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NH non-resident license fee to increase 500%

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

As of July 1, 2009, the fee for non-resident concealed carry licenses will increase from $20 to $100.

HB2 is the NH legislation for paying for everything decided on in HB1 - the NH budget. HB2 isn't signed yet but this is not a sticking point.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

goinveg wrote:
HankT wrote:
goinveg wrote:
As of July 1, 2009, the fee for non-resident concealed carry licenses will increase from $20 to $100.

That's an increase of 400%, not 500%
I apologize. I was working with the idea that 100 is 500% of 20.

Here's what you said:

zakst1

imported post

goinveg wrote:

HB2 is the NH legislation for paying for everything decided on in HB1 - the NH budget. HB2 isn't signed yet but this is not a sticking point.

That is insane!

PT111

imported post

HankT wrote:
goinveg wrote:

You must not be in the advertising business. ;) I swear some fo those commercial claims are so vague that I have no idea what the heck they mean. Like the ones that claim their medicine cures colds five time faster than the others, this paper is 10 times thinner or 85% less fat. No wonder Johnny can't count.

virginiatuck

imported post

I figured something like that was coming. It's probably the only way they can meet the 14-day issuance requirement. It'll either decrease the number of non-resident applications, provide enough funding to increase their Permits/Licensing Unit staff, or both. Having not read HB1 or HB2, for all I know the money's instead been allocated to other departments and there will still be a 15-week waiting period for NRPRLs.

I bet that news will spike the number of applications even higher, though. And I wonder, will they go by the postmark of the application? Or will they deny permits due to insufficient funds if they don't process them by the date the fee goes up?

Hopefully the cost won't go up again before 2013; and that nothing else changes before then.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
HankT wrote:
goinveg wrote:

You must not be in the advertising business. ;) I swear some fo those commercial claims are so vague that I have no idea what the heck they mean. Like the ones that claim their medicine cures colds five time faster than the others, this paper is 10 times thinner or 85% less fat. No wonder Johnny can't count.
I dunno. Discriminating people, like yourself, spot those mild deceptions. Only the bubbas fall for that stuff. 'Course there are a fair amount of bubbas,Lordknows...

junglebob

imported post

Riana wrote:
Eeek. So I guess I have 2 weeks to decide and send in my application, then...

You might want to consider getting a Utah non-resident LTC. It is recognized in NH and about 28 other states, more if you are a Utah resident, and cost is $65.25 for 5 years. You do have to take a course by a Utahapproved instructor. I took a 1 night class taught here in Illinois at a cost of $75, finger printing is needed but that was done for free at the class. It is good for 5 years and the renewal cost is only $10, that may change of course. It and Florida are the two best to have if you want a non-resident LTC that has wide coverage. Minnesota recognizes Utah, not Florida . Florida doesn't recognize any non-resident LTC, so Utah isn't good there.

The Florida LTC has just gone to 7 years this month, cost was $117 don't know thatit has changed. I understand a basic pistol or other NRA firearms course is accepted for training.

Sorry to hear NH is raising the LTC fee, a number of folks at the http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum have gotten NH LTC, after getting a PA LTC I'm sure that will change if the fee increases that much.

Riana

imported post

junglebob wrote:
Riana wrote:
You might want to consider getting a Utah non-resident LTC. It is recognized in NH and about 28 other states, more if you are a Utah resident, and cost is $65.25 for 5 years.
Looking at http://handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf, I was under the impression that NH does not recognize ANY non-resident permits. Is that information incorrect?

I actually have a specific reason to want an NH permit - we travel up there frequently, as we have a place up there.

virginiatuck

imported post

Riana wrote:
junglebob wrote:
Riana wrote:
You might want to consider getting a Utah non-resident LTC. It is recognized in NH and about 28 other states, more if you are a Utah resident, and cost is $65.25 for 5 years.
Looking at http://handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf, I was under the impression that NH does not recognize ANY non-resident permits. Is that information incorrect?

I actually have a specific reason to want an NH permit - we travel up there frequently, as we have a place up there.
You are correct that, while NH does have reciprocity agreements with other states, they only recognize resident permits of those states.

NH.gov confirms that here.

virginiatuck

imported post

New Hampshire expects to make a profit from the non-resident pistol license reciprocity market. The biggest problem New Hampshire may face is maintaining non-resident reciprocity with other states. If they lose that edge, the demand for these licenses will shrink. They could also shrink if another state comes along with a permit that's easier to get, costs less, or is valid in the same or more states.

Let the competition begin!

Mark (IL)

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
 Riana wrote:
junglebob wrote:
Riana wrote:
Eeek.  So I guess I have 2 weeks to decide and send in my application, then...
You might want to consider getting a Utah non-resident LTC.   It is recognized in NH and about 28 other states, more if you are a Utah resident, and cost is $65.25 for 5 years.  
Looking at http://handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf, I was under the impression that NH does not recognize ANY non-resident permits.  Is that information incorrect?

You are correct that, while NH does have reciprocity agreements with other states, they only recognize resident permits of those states.

NH.gov confirms that here.

Here's where it gets complicated. NH doesn't recognize non-res permits. But, if, say, you are an IL resident with a UT permit (my case exactly), you can apply for a NH non-res permit using the UT non-res permit to qualify ... requirement, as stated on the NH application: "A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside, OR A VALID CONCEALED PERMIT ISSUED BY ANY OTHER STATE". Works fine, takes 15 weeks... as several of us have recently demonstrated!

mvpel

imported post

If anyone is still waiting 15 weeks for a non-resident license and feeling ornery, they should file a lawsuit. There's volunteers here in New Hampshire who will help you (not do all the work for you, but help you). That's the only way we're going to get these jokers to comply with the clear letter of the law. As residents, we can't do it, so we need you to do it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that even at $100 a pop, it'll still take them weeks to issue, and the extra $80 will go to the slush fund.

They claim it takes three hours to issue a license, but considering that a gun shop can run a background check in a matter of minutes, that claim smells quite strongly of BS.

carryall

imported post

Hello,
I live in South Carolina and have a NH non-resident permit to carry. The NH permit has added a huge amount of states that I can carry carry in. If need be I will pay the new fee when my NH carry permit needs to be renewed, even if my need for the non-resident use is only occasional.
Chao!:monkey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mvpel wrote:
If anyone is still waiting 15 weeks for a non-resident license and feeling ornery, they should file a lawsuit. There's volunteers here in New Hampshire who will help you (not do all the work for you, but help you). That's the only way we're going to get these jokers to comply with the clear letter of the law. As residents, we can't do it, so we need you to do it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that even at $100 a pop, it'll still take them weeks to issue, and the extra $80 will go to the slush fund.

They claim it takes three hours to issue a license, but considering that a gun shop can run a background check in a matter of minutes, that claim smells quite strongly of BS.
I sent my application + $20 at the end of March. My license was issued July 26, postmarked August 3 and received August 6. Unfortunately it wasn't sent to them certified so I can't prove the time line. I didn't know about the issuing delays at the time I sent it otherwise I would have used certified/return receipt mail.

The NH license doesn't do anything for me besides gaining CC in WY, where I don't spend a lot of time (actually haven't been there in nearly 20 years) however, for $20 it was worth it to me to have coverage in all 36 reciprocity states (my resident state CCW has reciprocity with all but WY). It was worth $5/yr as a "just in case" as I do want to travel out west again in the next few years. Will it be worth $25/yr in 4 years at renewal? Probably not.