• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NH non-resident license fee to increase 500%

KBCraig

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
It was worth $5/yr as a "just in case" as I do want to travel out west again in the next few years. Will it be worth $25/yr in 4 years at renewal? Probably not.
That point is going to be glaringly obvious over the next couple of years, as the number of non-resident applications and renewals plummets.

The current Democrat majority in NH thought that quintupling the price would result in quintuple the revenue. Basic facts of economics seem to escape them.

doobie

imported post

This is the open carry forum, just OPEN CARRY and save your money!

doobie

imported post

Riana wrote:
doobie wrote:
This is the open carry forum, just OPEN CARRY and save your money!
Just fix that silly "carrying in a vehicle is concealed" problem, and I would. :dude:
Hopefully in a year or two..... sometimes our legislature is good in preventing crap restrictions, but it also sometimes sucks in opening up freedoms...

press1280

imported post

I'll probably let my NH non-res expire in 2013. By then, my state of WV SHOULD have reciprocity w/NH by then. WVCDL has said there is some issue w/WV's laws that prevents it from signing with certain states, but several states including NH are ready to sign reciprocity.

I'd just focus efforts on getting more reciprocity for your state, in light of the national CCW bill failing in the senate.

doobie

imported post

press1280 wrote:
I'll probably let my NH non-res expire in 2013. By then, my state of WV SHOULD have reciprocity w/NH by then. WVCDL has said there is some issue w/WV's laws that prevents it from signing with certain states, but several states including NH are ready to sign reciprocity.

I'd just focus efforts on getting more reciprocity for your state, in light of the national CCW bill failing in the senate.
AFAIK NH doesn't "sign" with anyone. If a state recognizes our permits, we'll automatically recognize theirs.

mvpel

imported post

doobie wrote:

AFAIK NH doesn't "sign" with anyone. If a state recognizes our permits, we'll automatically recognize theirs.
That's correct. However many states find our lack of requirements... disturbing.

No training, no fingerprints, no photograph, no mandatory background check... They just can't conceive in other states how this could possibly have worked as well as it has over the past several decades.

DocNTexas

imported post

I just received my NH renewal in the mail and was not aware until that moment that the fee had gone up to $100. I expected an increase but not that much. I have not traveled to NH in many years and probably will not in the foreseeable future but I was willing to pay a reasonable fee to maintain the ability to carry there if there were ever a need to. $100 is a bit too much for that purpose for me. If I lived closer to NH and/or traveled there regularly I would probably pay but since I do not, I won't. I think it will cost them revenue in the end. :X

mrjam2jab

imported post

mvpel wrote:
doobie wrote:

That's correct. However many states find our lack of requirements... disturbing.

No training, no fingerprints, no photograph, no mandatory background check... They just can't conceive in other states how this could possibly have worked as well as it has over the past several decades.

PA has those similar requirements...or...lack thereof. PA does do background checks...but no training, fingerprints, or photo req. Funny thing is...PA and NH have recip....PA and VA have recip...but VA and NH do NOT have recip...VA requires training so not sure how the PA-VA agreement came about.

virginiatuck

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
mvpel wrote:
doobie wrote:

PA has those similar requirements...or...lack thereof. PA does do background checks...but no training, fingerprints, or photo req. Funny thing is...PA and NH have recip....PA and VA have recip...but VA and NH do NOT have recip...VA requires training so not sure how the PA-VA agreement came about.
The VA training requirement is met by completing a hunter safety course. Many, if not most, Pennsylvanians complete hunter safety training by age 12, so they probably saw the VA training requirement as not being unreasonable.

PA-VA-Reciprocity-Agreement
PA-NH-Reciprocity-Agreement
All PA Reciprocity Agreements

What most frequently gets in the way of VA reciprocity agreements is the requirement of a 24/7 permit verification system. Does NH have a 24/7 permit verification system?

mrjam2jab

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
mvpel wrote:
doobie wrote:

The VA training requirement is met by completing a hunter safety course. Many, if not most, Pennsylvanians complete hunter safety training by age 12, so they probably saw the VA training requirement as not being unreasonable.

What most frequently gets in the way of VA reciprocity agreements is the requirement of a 24/7 permit verification system. Does NH have a 24/7 permit verification system?

But my point is...PA doesnt have a training requirement, so why would VA accept PA? I dont have hunter safety under my belt. In fact, just this past weekend took NRA Basic Pistol...and yet i could still carry in VA....

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
mvpel wrote:
doobie wrote:

But my point is...PA doesnt have a training requirement, so why would VA accept PA? I dont have hunter safety under my belt. In fact, just this past weekend took NRA Basic Pistol...and yet i could still carry in VA....
Virginia's reciprocity law(Va. Code § 18.2-308(P)) does not require a state to have a training requirement for their permits to be recognized in VA. Almost all states whose permits are not recognized in VA do not qualify because of the 24/7 verification requirement.

mrjam2jab

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Virginia's reciprocity law (Va. Code § 18.2-308(P)) does not require a state to have a training requirement for their permits to be recognized in VA. Almost all states whose permits are not recognized in VA do not qualify because of the 24/7 verification requirement.

Really? thats interesting actually....I just assumed since they required their own residents...as well as non-resident who apply for VA out-of-state... to have training that would also be a requirement for reciprocity.

virginiatuck

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
Virginia's reciprocity law (Va. Code § 18.2-308(P)) does not require a state to have a training requirement for their permits to be recognized in VA. Almost all states whose permits are not recognized in VA do not qualify because of the 24/7 verification requirement.

Really? thats interesting actually....I just assumed since they required their own residents...as well as non-resident who apply for VA out-of-state... to have training that would also be a requirement for reciprocity.
Correct. Basically all that's required of the other state is 24/7 permit verification and laws that are adequate to prevent the possession of a permit or license by a person who would be denied a permit in Virginia.

Technically, you could argue that a person without an approved training certificate would be denied a permit in Virginia; however, the intent of the Virginia law is presumably to prevent "prohibited persons" from obtaining a permit.

§ 18.2-308(P):
P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

DocNTexas

imported post

I have received 3 renewal letters in the last 5 weeks for my NH non-resident permit. Seems NH is very anxious for me to pay my $100 renewal fee. I wonder if they are seeing that big of a decrease already that they are becoming concerned about this plan backfiring in the revenue department?

One in five people with a non-resident permit would have to renew in order for them to just break even and I feel like they will be lucky if 1 in 500 actually do. The only people that would consider it at this price are those who travel there regularly and I would bet that many of those wontpay it either.

Doc

mvpel

imported post

We'll have to have someone submit an RSA 91-A request to find out just how big the revenue backfire is getting to be. They're still processing applications from before the fee increase.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Is there an equal protection claim here? Why do non-res permits take so much more revenue to process than resident ones? I would think it would be less considering NH requires you to have a valid permit from another state; therefore the all the footwork and background check was already done by the other state.

imported post

mvpel wrote:
We'll have to have someone submit an RSA 91-A request to find out just how big the revenue backfire is getting to be. They're still processing applications from before the fee increase.

I mailed my $20.00 non-resident permit application June 22, 2009. Received it 11-14-2009 just 8 days short of 5 months.

They should be getting close to closing out the $20.00 application backlog by now.