Thread: NY and AK's

Post imported post

I have friends in Vermont, I'm thinking of going up there to visit and also bringing my guns. I have a WASR 10 Romanian AK 47. I have never been pulled over in my life with the exception of getting stopped because my headlights were not on (no ticket just a verbal recommendation to turn them on.)

Suppose I get pulled over in NY while traveling to VT and they discover an AK 47 in my car. (I know you are all thinking, why did you get pulled over? Why did you let him search your car? Forget all that). Aren't "assault" weapons illegal? Would I be looking at jail time? Just want to know what the risks are.

Oh I'm driving from NC, a friendlier gun state than NY, that's why I have these questions.

Post imported post

Semi-auto WASR's' are legal in NYS - my buddy has one. Hi-cap magazines on the other hand are not. They may not hassle you on the rifle (or they may) :P but 30rd mags are no-no unless pre-94 manufacture.

Post imported post

high cap mags? lol, you mean STANDARD 30 rd mag. You folks are only allowed to have a LOW cap mag (5rds I assume?) High cap mag (at least in NC) are the 75 rd drum mags that I can buy at a gun show for like $40!

Post imported post

If the weapon is legal in your state of departure and destination state, and it is carried unloaded, in a locked hardside case, and inaccessible from the passenger compartment while the vehicle is in motion, then you are perfectly legal under federal law.