• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading to Denver Tomorrow - Question

ScottyT

imported post

Colorado does have reciprocity with my Utah resident permit, but I am wondering if there are any other laws I should be aware of.

Any restrictions on where I can and cannot carry, besides the obvious secured areas?

Liquor stores? Restaurants that serve alcohol and bars?

Anything else I should know?

I know I can't OC in Denver, but wasn't planning on it for this trip anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Flyer22

imported post

As far as alcohol goes, this is the only restriction:

[align=justify]CRS 18-12-106 (Prohibited use of weapons.)
(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:
(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).[/align]
[align=justify]If you're CC'ing, about the only restrictions on where you can carry are government buildings that are posted.[/align]
[align=justify]And lastly, you can travel anywhere:[/align]
CRS 18-12-105.6(2)(b)
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

You can't concealed-carry in:

Public K-12 schools (although you can have a gun in a compartment of the car, with the car locked);

Any building with permanently-installed metal detectors and security;

Federal buildings where it's prohibited by federal law;

Any private property where the owner exercises his right to deny the carry of weapons.

State preemption applies, so no other government authority can regulate concealed-carry in Colorado.

ScottyT

imported post

Thanks for the information guys!

I will be seeing a show at the Denver Center on Saturday and then hitting the flea market on Sunday morning. I am assuming neither of these venues has metal detectors?

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

I can't imagine that they would. I've been to shows at most of the parts of the Denver Center (there are multiple theaters), and never saw metal detectors.

The flea market may prohibit weapons, though. Worst case would be throwing you out for trespassing if you refused to leave when asked.