• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke Civic Center's Stance on firearms

TexasNative

imported post

ed wrote:
The dumb ones are almost always cute.
Hmm...I know of a dumb one that is about as far away from cute as you can get.

Not that I mean you, Ed. No, really.

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ed wrote:
Repeater wrote:
PeachHeadSmileDSC_4168_000.jpg
The dumb ones are almost always cute.

That one was easy to disprove:lol::celebrate:what:

bradyguns2.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bottom line is that municipal owned civic centers and coliseums are subject to preemption in Virginia - OC or CC as you will.

Legal firearms are carried by responsible people as the last defense to acquiring an early epitaph........ not for settling arguments.

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

Despite some errors and bias, at least Ms. Schon provided a fairly honest response and did not completely duck the issue. I actually think she did a good job stating the position of the management.

She clearly states that they don't want you to carry, but can't stop you.

At least she didn't spend a week modifying their website and then lying about it .

Edit: extra word

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Despite some errors and bias, at least Ms. Schon provided a fairly honest response and did not completely duck the issue. I actually think she did a good job stating the position of the management.

She clearly states that they don't want you to carry, but can't stop you.

At least she didn't spend a week modifying their website and then lying about it .

Edit: extra word
They were pretty honest about it to me.
I was a little shocked to find the ACLU had contacted them. Since when did they become pro gun?

Thundar

imported post

Repeater wrote:
The city received five responses to its request, which closed in July. The selection committee is negotiating with two finalists:
  • Global Spectrum, an 8-year-old company based in Philadelphia that operates arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters, convention halls, ice centers and fairgrounds around North America. Its parent company is Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers.
  • SMG, a 29-year-old company, also based in Philadelphia, which operates a similar array of facilities around North America and Europe. Its Virginia sites include the Richmond Coliseum and Charlottesville's John Paul Jones Arena, where it partners with Red Light Management.
Any sort of management contract would be subject to approval by the city council, said Roanoke Assistant City Manager Jim Grigsby.
We should take SMG to the woodshed as an anti-freedom company that abuses the rights of Virginians. If we could cause them to loose this contract because of their conduct at the Glenn Beck show at the Richmond Coliseum, then we would really get their attention. Ban political stickers, then lie about it and try to cover up the facts after the incident. Not the reputable sort of management company that the city council should support.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
I was a little shocked to find the ACLU had contacted them. Since when did they become pro gun?
I highly doubt it was the ACLU. I suspect it a VCDL member or even VCDL leadership and she's mixed up the particulars. But if it was the ACLU, imagine all the other illegal acts or rules the Roanoke Civic Center had in place.

virginiatuck

imported post

Several years ago, when the word "illegal" was absent from the text, a gentleman with the Civic Liberties Union contacted me about the code because he has a concealed weapons permit and he interpreted our statements to mean that we would not allow him to enter our facility with a firearm.
I never heard of them.

Neplusultra

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Repeater wrote:
The city received five responses to its request, which closed in July. The selection committee is negotiating with two finalists:
  • Global Spectrum, an 8-year-old company based in Philadelphia that operates arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters, convention halls, ice centers and fairgrounds around North America. Its parent company is Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers.
  • SMG, a 29-year-old company, also based in Philadelphia, which operates a similar array of facilities around North America and Europe. Its Virginia sites include the Richmond Coliseum and Charlottesville's John Paul Jones Arena, where it partners with Red Light Management.
Any sort of management contract would be subject to approval by the city council, said Roanoke Assistant City Manager Jim Grigsby.
We should take SMG to the woodshed as an anti-freedom company that abuses the rights of Virginians. If we could cause them to loose this contract because of their conduct at the Glenn Beck show at the Richmond Coliseum, then we would really get their attention. Ban political stickers, then lie about it and try to cover up the facts after the incident. Not the reputable sort of management company that the city council should support.
EXCELLENT IDEA THERE THUNDAH. that would certainly get their attention and probably a person or two in Richmond fired. Why is it, when ever I read one of your posts, I hear AC/DC playing in my head?

riverrat10k

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
exELLENT IDEA THERE THUNDAH. that would certainly get their attention and probably a person or two in Richmond fired. Why is it, when ever I read one of your posts, I hear AC/DC playing in my head?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I also like Thundars comments:celebrate:celebrate

Thundar

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
exELLENT IDEA THERE THUNDAH. that would certainly get their attention and probably a person or two in Richmond fired. Why is it, when ever I read one of your posts, I hear AC/DC playing in my head?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I also like Thundars comments:celebrate:celebrate

Repeaters quote about the contract SMG is competing for was from Sept 2008, so we may be too late for that one, but I think we can see a chink in the armor of this private company.:idea:

SMG competes to be the management company for publicly owned arenas. We can have a loud voiceto public officials in not selecting SMG in the future based upon their un-american activities.:celebrate

Repeater

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Repeaters quote about the contract SMG is competing for was from Sept 2008, so we may be too late for that one, but I think we can see a chink in the armor of this private company.:idea:

SMG competes to be the management company for publicly owned arenas. We can have a loud voiceto public officials in not selecting SMG in the future based upon their un-american activities.:celebrate
Actually, it may not be too late. Take a good look at SMG World. Peruse their list of arenas they manage.

The Roanoke Civic center is not among them.

Thundar, you have a great idea. Apparently, SMG World is an anti-gun world. Visit some of their other arenas and see what their policies are. For example, click on Reliant Arena in Houston, Texas. Find and click their website.

Not very freedom oriented.

Thundar

imported post

SMG is a freedom hating bunch that tries to squash the rights of citizens by assuming authority that they do not have.

If we can hit them in the pocket book, then they will cave in.

We need big guns.