• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I still carry???

hsmith

imported post

Sigh.

Guys, you feed the local troll way too much. Mike/John DELETED his comment (as you cannot do this yourself), lets not continue on going down to our local idiot HankT's level.

paramedic70002

imported post

Wow that sucks. I did 3 years armed security, dealing with nutjobs.

OT: My worst enemy was an activist magistrate that threatened to jack me up with the law because I used pepper spray too much. That went nowhere. I talked to his boss and the magistrate was never seen again. But enough about me.

You have my sympathy. I hope you appeal.

Neplusultra

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Danbus,

As long as it was not domestic violence, whatever that means, I can find nothing in 18.2 308 that would prohibit OC.

Thundar
I agree, misdemeanor is an issue for CC but has no effect on OC. If you can own a gun, you can carry it. With my troubles the Judge "revoked" my CC due to my pending felony indictment, even though the statute only allows him to "suspend" it. I still carry OC and still have possession of all my firearms. A misdemeanor has no effect on your right to keep and bear.

Edit: And to tell you the truth, even if guilty of a felony, if no weapon or threat of violence was involved in the act, what basis do they really have of denying a "right" that was not "abused" ???? :cuss:

AbNo

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I will leave it to Dan to fill in any details he wishes, but this had to do with his arresting a psychopathic punk who had been legally banned from the place where Dan was employed as an armed security officer. After being removed by the police, the punk got to the magistrate quickly and swore a warrant for A&B. (And it had nothing to do with a firearm.) I don't know where it went from there, but I smell a rat.
This smells like horse s:cuss::cuss::cuss: to me.

I mean, let's look at the situation here, Dan's been putting the legal beat-down on various cities in the area left and right, and now some crack head manages to get a conviction of A&B on a security guard (Dan) doing his job.

Anyone else a little suspicious of this? Where's Pishko?

AbNo

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Pishko, fortunately, won't be part of this picture. Dan was working on the peninsula, not in Norfolk.
That was more of a joke, but seriously, does anyone ELSE think this is a little suspicious?

And who's to say Pishy didn't make a phone call?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Pishko, fortunately, won't be part of this picture. Dan was working on the peninsula, not in Norfolk.
That was more of a joke, but seriously, does anyone ELSE think this is a little suspicious?

And who's to say Pishy didn't make a phone call?
It's hard to say if it's suspicious or not since we don't know what happened. Remember, not long ago there was a big uproar here about having security at the Coliseum arrested if they tried to detain anyone.

I don't know the facts or ever the generalities with Dan's case.

It does sound abnormal for a Magistrate to file cross warrants but then again, it's the beach.

ChinChin

imported post

Unless you were convicted of a felony (and as you aren't in the poke I assume you weren't) you should be good to go to continue OC.

If you have a CC (and if memory serves) you would be informed via a letter from the local constable of the revocation of your permit and your inability to lawfully carry concealed.

Despite my recollections; the best advice would be to check with a atty and make sure you're 5x5.

I'd also suggest a hearty appeal of the judge's ruling; and perhapse a civil suit against the thug who filed on you. . .as long as you're checking with the lawyer on the first thing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Unless you were convicted of a felony (and as you aren't in the poke I assume you weren't) you should be good to go to continue OC.

If you have a CC (and if memory serves) you would be informed via a letter from the local constable of the revocation of your permit and your inability to lawfully carry concealed.

Despite my recollections; the best advice would be to check with a atty and make sure you're 5x5.

I'd also suggest a hearty appeal of the judge's ruling; and perhapse a civil suit against the thug who filed on you. . .as long as you're checking with the lawyer on the first thing.
Doesn't it take two misdemeanors assuming none are domestic, Etc to lose the CHP.

If your going to appeal, do it soon. I think you have 10 days from the conviction date to file it.

virginiatuck

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

Doesn't it take two misdemeanors assuming none are domestic, Etc to lose the CHP.

If your going to appeal, do it soon. I think you have 10 days from the conviction date to file it.
§ 18.2-308:
<snip>
E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:
<snip>
7. An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1. Traffic infractions and misdemeanors set forth in Title 46.2 shall not be considered for purposes of this disqualification.
<snip>
14. An individual who has been convicted of any assault, assault and battery, sexual battery, discharging of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-280 or 18.2-286.1 or brandishing of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-282 within the three-year period immediately preceding the application.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Has this negatively impacted Dan's day job?

Many departments (in this case employers) do not support and defend the officer's actions. Seen 'em thrown to the wolves before - hope this isn't the case here.

We are indeed handicapped not knowing the detailed specifics as well as guidelines applicable for Use of Force. Not asking for such - just thinking out loud.

Yata hey

Wangmuf

imported post

Sorry to necro-bump, but I have a question that's along the same lines to this. I know I'm not going to get approved for a CC permit due to an A&B and DIP convictions from last November, but what about my eligibility to purchase a new pistol? I don't want to fill out the paperwork just to get denied (and possibly have some sort of record of denial on file?).

Dave

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
Sorry to necro-bump, but I have a question that's along the same lines to this. I know I'm not going to get approved for a CC permit due to an A&B and DIP convictions from last November, but what about my eligibility to purchase a new pistol? I don't want to fill out the paperwork just to get denied (and possibly have some sort of record of denial on file?).

Dave
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_PurchaseEligibility.shtm

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

joeamt wrote:
Has anyone heard from Dan??
I like Dan and find him very personable, but no haven't heard a peep and that is very distressing.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'd like to hear from him/see him soon. He's warmly invited to go to the range with us. I hope he gets this message. I look forward to breaking bread with him again. I haven't had the chance to get to know him yet, but he became my Hero when he took on the City of Norfolk.

We all make mistakes, but as long as we live long enough to learn from them (as I have, amazingly enough), we're doing ok. If anyone is able to get hold of him, please invite him to the range with us. Please have him PM me. I'll give him the details and provide weapons/ammo for his use.

Semper Paratus!
msc