• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Open Carry in Alabama?

ravingbantha

imported post

Ok so this is ibvously my first post hear, and yes I have been looking around trying to gather some info before I post. However I know one of the biggest issues regarding open carry is the lack of knowledge on alot of peoples part. However I just called my local Sherrifs department and asked the Deputy, I was just told that Alabama does not allow open carry at all... no if's and's or but's about it. My weapon has to be completly concealed.

This seems to be contradiciting what I've been reading lately. Can someone set me straight on this matter? My propblem is not necessarly wanting to open cary, so much as it is a matter, of my being a big guy. Most shirts are not very long on my body, so keeping a weapon concealed is fairly tricky.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Where in Alabama are you located?

OC is legal in Alabama. Don't ask cops about it, it isn't their job to know what the law is.

Check out State v. Reid, among other cases.

Basically, OC is guaranteed by section 26 of the AL constitution (unlike CC, which is not considered a right). So even if the state legislature passes a law prohibiting OC (and there is no law), it could not legally be enforced.

ravingbantha

imported post

I live in Phenix City, Al (Russel Co.)... So I need to bear in mind both Alabama and Georgia laws. I thought it was a cops job to know what the laws are, otherwise it's kinda hard to enforce them. Bascily I want to make sure I know what I am talking about if approached by a LEO, this way I can avoid any unpleasent issues.

kurtmax_0

imported post

GA allows OC as well, but you need a pistol permit (if you are in AL). I forgot what the georgia license is.. GFL or something?

Georgia has many more restrictions on places to carry than AL though.

Read through some of the archived threads here and also at forum.alabamagunrights.org for an idea on the laws.

Some areas seem to have more harrassment than others. I haven't had any problems in Auburn, but I don't OC 100% of the time, so I haven't had as much exposure as some others on the forums.

suntzu

imported post

ravingbantha wrote:
Ok so this is ibvously my first post hear, and yes I have been looking around trying to gather some info before I post. However I know one of the biggest issues regarding open carry is the lack of knowledge on alot of peoples part. However I just called my local Sherrifs department and asked the Deputy, I was just told that Alabama does not allow open carry at all... no if's and's or but's about it. My weapon has to be completly concealed.

This seems to be contradiciting what I've been reading lately. Can someone set me straight on this matter? My propblem is not necessarly wanting to open cary, so much as it is a matter, of my being a big guy. Most shirts are not very long on my body, so keeping a weapon concealed is fairly tricky.
never ask for the opinion of a law enforcement officer--most of the time they don't even know half of the laws they are supposed to enforce.

ravingbantha

imported post

suntzu wrote:
ravingbantha wrote:

never ask for the opinion of a law enforcement officer--most of the time they don't even know half of the laws they are supposed to enforce.
This is pretty much the same thing I told my wife earlier. I used to be a OTR driver and one of the most fustrating things was dealing with State Troopers who thought they knew the DOT laws and regulations.

45-ACP

imported post

do you rember who it was you spoke with?

i went thru this last year with the sheriffs dept and the police dept,

but i got the answer from the sheriffs dept they knew that OC was legal, but i had 1 tell me that if they recived a complaint they would arrest me for disordely conduct

heres a link to what happened when i was updating them with the right info.

http://forum.alabamagunrights.org/topic/369/phenix-city-ala/

kurtmax_0

imported post

Heh. Haven't read that thread in awhile.

I spoke with the police chief this morning for around 30 mins, he told me that being the AG'S op was 24 years old he would like to see something newer .

I wonder what he'd think about a ALSC case from 1840. Of course, time doesn't matter in court cases as long as there have been no later decisions.

ravingbantha

imported post

It was whoever answers their phone... I also realive those ladies (while doing a fine job on thier own) are not necessarly going to know all the laws. I have contacts in the LE field in another county, when I get a chance I'll contact them.

potatoheadman

imported post

I work at an Alabama TV station where the Jefferson County Sheriff makes weekly visits. I asked him personally if open carry was legal in Alabama and he said "Yes, of Course".

He did say that open carry however could possiblycause hassles for you if someone calls the police because they see you with a gun. And he said that private property owners can deny you access to their property if they choose to while you open carry. He also pointed out that open carry takes away from your element of surprise if you are attacked.

So he didn't seem to be a fan of it, but he was overwhelmingly assuring that you could open carry in Alabama if you choose.

Plus, I have seen many people open carry around the Civic Center inside and out during gun shows, and the police don't give them a second look.

Just my 2 cents of experience here.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ravingbantha wrote:
I live in Phenix City, Al (Russel Co.)... So I need to bear in mind both Alabama and Georgia laws. I thought it was a cops job to know what the laws are, otherwise it's kinda hard to enforce them. Bascily I want to make sure I know what I am talking about if approached by a LEO, this way I can avoid any unpleasent issues.

ravingbantha, when you open carry, your always going to be unpleasantly pushed around by an LEO sooner or later here in Al. For the simple fact that the cops here in Al. believe there the only ones who should be allowed to open-carry:(.

So make sure you bring the law brochures with you when you do open carry, and when you do open carry in your area of the state do so at the least cop visting areas.

Start out by going to Wal-Mart and buying some Fabric Transfer sheets for your ink jet printer , download the Avery.com program and a graphic or two to your shirt with a gun in a holster on the hip and then add some text, informing/educating the public that open-carry is in fact Legal in the state of Alabama, like it or not, its the law. That kinda stuff gets your point across in a very good way. To add to that, when you are whereing these shirts don't open carry or conceal carry and leave your permit at home, that way the cops can't take away you permit. Cause remember you need that permit to carry you firearm from point A to B in a vehicle.