• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax proof of residency

Coolman

imported post

Filled for renewal5/8/09 did not give proof. 6/11/09 received suspending order.Need advice

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Coolman wrote:
Filled for renewal5/8/09 did not give proof. 6/11/09 received suspending order.Need advice

Lets assume the suspending order was because you did not provide proof of residence.

Options in no particular order:

1. Go to court for an Ore Tenus hearing.

1A. Hire an attorney and take him with you.

2. Remonstrate with the county that you are filing for a renewal, as opposed to a new application, thus residency really shouldn't be an issue.

3. Provide proof of residency. We've been through this before with this court. My understanding is that the judgeclaims it is ajudicial legal point that he has to establish that his court has jurisdiction. I have no idea whether he has to establish that. Separation of powers wouldseem to imply that the General Assembly could not set aside something like that. I don't know that anybody has ever been able to get the judge toissue the permit with the proof-of-residency unprovided.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Mike wrote:
Call Richard Gardiner, see http://www.lawyers.com/gardiner/- I think he already handling another similar matter and can advise you; meanhile hang tight and let the courthosue sweat!
He handled this for me. Sadly the appeal didn't go anywhere.
OK, but what were your procedural facts - you showed a DL to the judge and he backed down, right?

hsmith

imported post

Mike wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Mike wrote:
Call Richard Gardiner, see http://www.lawyers.com/gardiner/- I think he already handling another similar matter and can advise you; meanhile hang tight and let the courthosue sweat!
He handled this for me. Sadly the appeal didn't go anywhere.
OK, but what were your procedural facts - you showed a DL to the judge and he backed down, right?
Yes, the judge accepted that as a "proof"

I should FOIA my record and see if the DL was included...

mobeewan

imported post

In Hampton all I ever showed was my DL when I got my first permit and each renewal. Was never asked for any other proof of residency

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths and shall be made only on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police, in consultation with the Supreme Court, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit.
Proof of residency is necessary to determine eligibility, as the Court can only issue to residents of the jurisdiction of the Court. Remember the mess we had trying to get a replacement CHP with a new address if we moved to another city/countyand our CHP was still unexpired?

If you expect the Courts to play by the rules you need to be willing to play by the rules as well.

Go reapply for your CHP.

stay safe.

skidmark

TexasNative

imported post

Notice though, Skid, that the law only provides that you must provide the information, and that it must be submitted under oath. Hence, you're swearing that you're providing "truthful" information. Nowhere in the law does it require anyone to "prove" their residency. "Proof of residency" is extra-legal.

Now that being said, I'm not sure what would be the big benefit of refusing to produce proof of residency, at least until such time as some Clerk causes some sort of problem that needs to be corrected. But in the normal, run-of-the-mill application process, I can't see any good reason to not just show one's driver's license and be done with it. I'm just saying, the law has no such requirement.

~ Boyd

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Coolman & Boyd,

I sit corrected. There is nothing on the application form stating that the Court needs to see your DL (or copy thereof) to establish residency. The applicant's statrement under oath/affirmation is the only requirement.

Someone with the time and money, as well as standing, needs to take this to the Court of Appeals to settle the matter. Coolman - have you thought about contacting VCDL to see if they will take up the issue?

stay safe.

skidmark

Coolman

imported post

Monday I will file for a hearing on FRI. at 10am. I will go pro say since money is tight and it appears that no lawyer has had any luck in the past on this issue. So any help as far as opinions or rulings or Laws would be appreciated.

rkbaguy

imported post

Generally
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/CCR-E.htm

Particularly
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-E-05.pdf
"B. WHERE AND WHEN MUST THE MOVING PARTY FILE A ONE- WEEK MOTION?
The Clerk’s Office on the 3rd floor of the Judicial Center by 4:00 p.m. on or before the Friday prior to the date of the scheduled hearing. Copies must be served on all other affected parties or their counsel of record in a manner sufficient to provide actual notice (receipt of the pleadings) by the same 4:00 p.m. deadline. See Rule 4:15(e) of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia."

This form required - must be on "goldenrod" colored paper
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/PDF/CCR-E-10.pdf

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Coolman wrote:
Monday I will file for a hearing on FRI. at 10am. I will go pro say since money is tight and it appears that no lawyer has had any luck in the past on this issue. So any help as far as opinions or rulings or Laws would be appreciated.
What needs to happen is for you to be denied - that way you can appeal to the Appeals court and get this quashed. So if you do request and get an ore tenus, just go in and explainthat you have provided all the information required and expect your pemit to be issued or denied.

If you can get denied without the ore tenus, that would be great as well.

Coolman

imported post

I have the forms. I am hoping to have heard this next Fri. If not the one after.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Coolman wrote:
What needs to happen is for you to be denied - that way you can appeal to the Appeals court and get this quashed.  So if you do request and get an ore tenus, just go in and explain that you have provided all the information required and expect your pemit to be issued or denied.

If you can get denied without the ore tenus, that would be great as well.
+1 I maintain dual residency so this would make things easier on me. The fact that I pay taxes in both states should be more than enough proof. :banghead:

Coolman

imported post

Lost my hearing Chief Judge D.J. Smith wanted to hear zilch. Going to look into Appeal :X

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Coolman wrote:
Lost my hearing Chief Judge D.J. Smith wanted to hear zilch. Going to look into Appeal :X
Good for you on appealing. Maybe we can get this solved once and for all.