• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone going to write a letter to Journel/Sentinal?

bigdaddy1

imported post

I was going to write a letter to the editor, but frankly I dont have the eloquence to do so. I was going to make a point of why blame the gun and not the shooter? The GUN didnt shoot those 2 officers, a drugged up criminal did. There was also the statement about those "special interest groups" (aka open carry citizens.) that should be addressed. I was going to use an example of when a drunk driver hits and kills some innocent person, do we cry out that automobiles should be outlawed? No we say that the drunk driver is to blame. Why should they be allowed to blame the gun for the crime.

I hope someone does, Barrett's and Flynn's statements are an insult to freedom.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Here is a draft.

Mayor Barrett, Chief Flynn:

It was more than slightly disconcerting to hear you use the stage set by the assault on 2 police officers to launch a misguided emotional attack on law-abiding citizens. Citizenswho want nothing more than to be secure in their person by exercising the human right that the voters of Wisconsin overhwlemingly affirmed in 1998 with an amendment to our state constitution. This amendment reads that the people of Wisconsin have the right to keep and bear arms for security, self-defense, hunting, and any other lawful purpose. This right applies to the good people of Milwaukee just the same as it applies to a resident of Boulder Junction. With the dangers that we face in your city, it is perhaps more apprapos here than anywhere else in the state. Please recognize that others share the same dangers that police do. Police are not the only people in this community that face threats from the criminals of this community. Would you want to disarm them for their safety also? I understand the emotional reaction you have to seeing people in the hospital. But emotion should lead to compassion, not legislation. Logic is a better source of legislation than emotion is. Please also understand that other innocent people in this city have had to visit hospitals and morgues to mourn the loss of a loved one who fell victim to the criminal element of Milwaukee and had no opportunity to defend themselves. The college student that was killed by UWM a few years ago just walking to get a burger. Her family no doubt could pound a podium and demand that the wisconsin legislator hold a special session to restore the right of wisconsin citizens to have a gun in their purse for safety.
Its saddening to me that the mayor of a major metropolitan city in the United States would lump "special interest groups" in with the criminal that shot those 2 police officers. If you cannot distinguish between that kind of punk criminal and law-abiding citizens who just want to protect themselves... If you cannot distinguish between an 18-year old punk who already had been convicted of crimes who broke the law and concealled a weapon, who broke the law by drawing a weapon NOT in self-defense, and who broke the law by firing on 2 fellow human beings who posed no threat to his life and safety... If you cannot distinguish between that criminal, and the single mother who works late in Schlitz Park and walks across a lonely dark parking lot to her car SO close to a high-crime area of YOUR city. If you cannot distinguish between this punk criminal and the father that just bought a house in riverwest, fixed it up, and is trying to make a better life for himself and his family that just wants to take his dog for a walk at night and give his wife the comfort of knowing that he will be able to protect himself and return home safely to his family. If you call that "special interest"? If can't distinguish between those 2 polar opposite segments of society, then you have no business as a mayor of a major metropolitan city in this country. Ed Flynn has no busines being the police chief of one either if he struggles to have the capacity to make the same distinction. Perhaps if you wanted to look for REAL solutions you would recognize that your pejoratively labeled "special interest groups" have the same goal as you do. To have a safer city. You should reach out to people who have similar goals, not scapegoat them for political opportunity in the wake of a personal tragedy of those 2 officers.

Sincerely,

hugh_jarmis
opencarry.org
(I'll use my real name on the real letter)

ghostrider

imported post

Hugh,
...If you can't distinguish between those 2 polar opposite segments of society, then you have no business as a mayor of a major metropolitan city in this country....
Might want to add a "you" after the "If". You've got it:

...If can't distinguish between those 2 polar opposite segments of society, then you have no business as a mayor of a major metropolitan city in this country....

gbu28

imported post

If I may be so bold...

It is more than slightly disconcerting to hear you use the stage set by the assault on 2 police officers to launch a misguided emotional attack on law-abiding citizens. The same citizens who want nothing more than to be secure in their person by exercising the human right that the voters of Wisconsin overwhelmingly affirmed in 1998 with an amendment to our state constitution. This amendment reads that the people of Wisconsin have the right to keep and bear arms for security, self-defense, hunting, and any other lawful purpose. This right applies to the good people of Milwaukee just the same as it applies to a resident of Boulder Junction. With the dangers that we face in your city, it is perhaps more apropos here than anywhere else in the state. Please recognize that others share the same dangers that police do. Police are not the only people in this community that face threats from the criminals of this community. Would you want to disarm them for their safety also? I understand the emotional reaction you have to seeing people in the hospital. But emotion should lead to compassion, not legislation. Logic is a better source of legislation than emotion is. Please also understand that other innocent people in this city have had to visit hospitals and morgues to mourn the loss of a loved one who fell victim to the criminal element of Milwaukee and had no opportunity to defend themselves. The college student that was killed near UWM a few years ago was just walking to get a burger. Her family no doubt could pound a podium and demand that the Wisconsin legislature hold a special session to restore the right of citizens to have a gun in their purse for safety.
It’s saddening to me that the mayor of a major metropolitan city in the United States would lump "special interest groups" in with the criminal who shot two police officers. If you cannot distinguish between punk criminals and law-abiding citizens who just want to protect themselves... If you cannot distinguish between an 18-year old previously convicted criminal who again breaks the law while illegally carrying an illegally obtained concealed weapon, who broke the law by drawing a weapon NOT in self-defense, and who broke the law by firing on two fellow human beings who posed no threat to his life and safety... If you cannot distinguish between that criminal, and the single mother who works late in Schlitz Park and walks across a lonely dark parking lot to her car SO close to a high-crime area of YOUR city... If you cannot distinguish between this punk criminal and the father who recently purchased a house in Riverwest, fixed it up, and tries to make a better life for himself and his family, that just wants to take his dog for a walk at night and give his wife the comfort of knowing that he will be able to protect himself and return home safely to his family. If you call that "special interest"? If you can't distinguish between those two polar opposite segments of society, then you have no business as a mayor of a major metropolitan city in this country. Ed Flynn has no business being the police chief of one either if he struggles to have the capacity to make the same distinction. Perhaps if you wanted to look for REAL solutions you would recognize that your pejoratively labeled "special interest groups" have the same goal as you do. To have a safer city, you should reach out to people who have similar goals, not scapegoat them for political opportunity in the wake of a personal tragedy of the two wounded police officers.

patriotguy

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote
I understand the emotional reaction you have to seeing people in the hospital. But emotion should lead to compassion, not legislation. Logic is a better source of legislation than emotion is.
Excellent, Nik.

I would also add a mention of the thug who illegally bought the gun vs. the law abiding citizens who legally own and carry theirs.

Also, I would ask the mayor or chief if they can show an instance when a law abiding citizen, legally carrying a firearm, broke the law.

Thanks for your time.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Not necessarily "broke" the law, but where a law abiding citizen carrying a weapon for self protection went out and shot 2 police officers. Ask them (Barrett and Flynn) why law abiding citizens should not have the right and means to protect themselves when they know the police can not be everywhere all the time? Can they GUARANTEE each and every citizen will be safe when ever in his city? What gives THEM the right to impugn MY rights?

FLR&@

imported post

Hugh,

I would suggest you edit your letter down to 200 words and submit it to the J.S.

Opinions need to be heard.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

The letter has been sent to my contacts at tmj4, and charlie sykes at WTMJ. I'm going to see if Charlie will have me on to talk about this and the school zone/vehicle carry issue. I'll also be mailing the letter to the mayor and chief and other news outlets around milwaukee.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

If you reduce the letter, most of the valid argument will be lost. If the Editor does not want to print your opinion then purchase an ad space in the paper and post it there. They have to place your ad if you pay for it and that also gives you an option of where the ad gets placed in the paper.

Chewy

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will be more then happy to help pitch in for the cost of placing the letter in the paper if it can't be placed for free.

Hugh, contact me if you need to take this route.

Thank you for all you guys are doing.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I would have demanded an appology from Barrett for his comment. To lump the law abiding citizens with the criminal element was uncalled for.