Thread: Gun-rights activist again sues Norfolk over '07 arrest

Post imported post

This all happened before I came along here, but I didn't see anyone else post a link...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/gunr...over-07-arrest

Gun-rights activist again sues Norfolk over '07 arrest

NORFOLK

A Yorktown advocate of the right to openly carry firearms has filed another federal lawsuit over his one-hour detention during the June 2007 Harborfest, this one alleging excessive force against four policemen involved.

Chester "Chet" Szymecki Jr., who is proceeding without a lawyer, alleges that intentionally tight handcuffs and his physical removal from the festival site at Town Point Park caused pain and aggravated existing neurological problems. He seeks $2 million plus costs.

The local criminal charge against him over wearing a holstered .45-caliber handgun at the festival was withdrawn. Virginia law prohibits localities from regulating firearms.

The city settled a previous federal suit over the constitutionality of his arrest with a $15,000 payout before a scheduled December trial but admitted no wrongdoing.

City Attorney Bernard Pishko said Thursday that the city's position is that there was no excessive force.

"The officers' version doesn't confirm Szymecki's allegations," Pishko said.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    ummm.............you think?

Post imported post

About time several zeros get added to these settlements. Nothing like a big chunk of your already shrinking municipal budget getting consumed by lawyer fees, court costs and juicy, six figure payouts for infringing on lawful activity with excessive force. Hope the lawsuit is successful. Maybe they'll train their officers in what the law really says. That would be far cheaper than trying to defend these kind of actions in court.

Post imported post

I just saw this on yahoo news under the local section. Wanted to post here but was beaten to it.

Hope he wins big.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

markand wrote:
    About time several zeros get added to these settlements. Nothing like a big chunk of your already shrinking municipal budget getting consumed by lawyer fees, court costs and juicy, six figure payouts for infringing on lawful activity with excessive force. Hope the lawsuit is successful. Maybe they'll train their officers in what the law really says. That would be far cheaper than trying to defend these kind of actions in court.
    +1

You can bet the farm Chet was not the first person on who they decided to tighten down the cuffs for no reason.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    That Pishko fellow is one sharp cookie, eh? I bet he was at the top of his class in law school... anybody know where he got his law degree? I'm not sure any school would be willing to admit it at this point...

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    That Pishko fellow is one sharp cookie, eh? I bet he was at the top of his class in law school... anybody know where he got his law degree? I'm not sure any school would be willing to admit it at this point...

TFred
    Pishko's post graduate training continues. :P

I wish Chet all of the best in this.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Good luck Chet!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Disabled vet with family , all lawful conduct, false arrest, harm to disabled vet, city pays big.

In a civil suit the standard for the jury will be who does the jury believe, the police officer who perpetrated a false arrest or the disabled vet who can show physical harm.

I think Pishko will loose again.

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

Pishko is soon going to lose a multimillion dollar suit brought by the hula hoop lady as well.

Man, with such a recalcitrant PD, you would think that the Norfolk City Council would hire a more capable lead counsel!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Pishko is soon going to lose a multimillion dollar suit brought by the hula hoop lady as well.
    Since CRS clouded my recollection of the "Hula-Hoop Lady", here is a link for those not familiar with this... http://hamptonroads.com/node/493500

Post imported post

Best wishes, Chet!

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Disabled vet with family , all lawful conduct, false arrest, harm to disabled vet, city pays big.

In a civil suit the standard for the jury will be who does the jury believe, the police officer who perpetrated a false arrest or the disabled vet who can show physical harm.

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

Man, with such a recalcitrant PD, you would think that the Norfolk City Council would hire a more capable lead counsel!

While not OC related, Norfolk must have unlimited funds to pay out

Police dog bites 4yo - Dog was released into the house because a suspect was believed to be there

http://www.wtkr.com/news/dp-local_do...,0,57423.story

Post imported post

Go for it, Chet!

Illegitimis nil carborundum!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Chet and his fine family are neighbors of ours. He and his wife were subjected to the sleaziest "law enforcement" you can imagine; not the kind of behavior one would expect from professional officers. If I were an LEO, I'd want the NPD to straighten up, and stop sullying the reputation of all. ( I think the Norfolk Sheriff's Dep't played a role in this as well.)

I know Chet sustained some significant injuries while active duty in our Navy, and I also know he isn't the kind of man to make things up or over-dramatize things. If anything, he's more stoic than most. If he says they aggravated his pre-existing neuropathy, he's telling the truth. I'm sure a jury will fully agree with him.

I have no doubt that B. "Matlock" Pishko will claim the officers used furr-lined cuffs (the same they used on Dan) and that they gently massaged his hands and wrists with Intensive Care Lotion, but we all know better than that.

BOHICA, NNPD!

Post imported post

Mrs. Szymecki and their kids weren't treated very well either.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

How about a more capable Chief of Police?
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

Go get 'em Chet!

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    "The alleged rapists version doesn't confrim the victim's allegations," the idiot said.

Post imported post

Good luck and give'em Hell Chet!

Post imported post

So what's going on with this case?

Post imported post

Ordinarily, when there's a settlement of a civil suit, the parties will enter into a written agreement to do so. One standard clause of such agreements is a "mutual waiver and release of all claims". If there was such an agreement, then the plaintiff doesn't have standing to file suit and is likely to be hit with sanctions - he may end up having to pay the city's legal fees.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

? Not following you. The previous 15k settlement was with the city and was based on the SSN issue. The CITY prevailed on the 4A claims. The current suit is against the OFFICERS who detained Chet (though the city provides their legal defense because they were acting in official capacity). I heard the depositions of the witnesses in the case did not go well for Chet - did that case settle as well?

Post imported post

I don't know, but ordinarily, a settlement extends to all those who are "in privity" with the parties to the suit. That included employees, agents, affiliates, etc etc. Andthe outcome of a prior suit isgenerally considered "res judicata", even in Virginia thanks to a fairly recent rule change, as to everyone one might have brought in as a party but didn't, and as to all claims arising out of the same events and circumstances. (Generally speaking. There are more details and wrinkles.) "Res judicata" means, "things already decided (and which we're not going to consider again)."

I don't know the details of how the prior litigation went, I'm just pointing out some principles that may apply.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.